Chris Brown doesn't know much about the NFL

He's been with Tasker on the radio this week & I'm surprised by his lack of knowledge. 

Yesterday he talked about how Miami traded Wes Welker to NE & expressed astonishment that they would trade him in the division.  What he obviously had no knowledge of is the fact Welker was a restricted free agent & had agreed to terms with NE on a contract with a poison pill that would make it impossible for Miami to match.  Because the contract wasn't signed the fact that NE had Miami over a barrel is somewhat obscured because Welker signed a new contract with NE after the trade, but anyone who covers a team in the division should know this.  

Then today they were talking about players whose careers were cut short by injury.  Brown didn't even know what position Greg Cook played.  Greg Cook's story is well known by just about anyone who knows NFL history.  Once again, maybe acceptable for casual or younger fans, but for a guy who covers the NFL for a living, pretty bad.  

• Sad 1

19 minutes ago, Albany,n.y. said:

He's been with Tasker on the radio this week & I'm surprised by his lack of knowledge. 

Yesterday he talked about how Miami traded Wes Welker to NE & expressed astonishment that they would trade him in the division.  What he obviously had no knowledge of is the fact Welker was a restricted free agent & had agreed to terms with NE on a contract with a poison pill that would make it impossible for Miami to match.  Because the contract wasn't signed the fact that NE had Miami over a barrel is somewhat obscured because Welker signed a new contract with NE after the trade, but anyone who covers a team in the division should know this.  

Then today they were talking about players whose careers were cut short by injury.  Brown didn't even know what position Greg Cook played.  Greg Cook's story is well known by just about anyone who knows NFL history.  Once again, maybe acceptable for casual or younger fans, but for a guy who covers the NFL for a living, pretty bad.  

I think you're being a little too hard on him.

That Welker scenario happened 12 seasons ago.  He covers the Bills, not the division.  If this Welker thing happened in the last year or two...then yeah probably should be fresh enough to retain.  12 years though?

I'm 37, I don't know Cook's story.  He was before my time.

• Like (+1) 13
  • Thank you (+1) 1

21 minutes ago, Albany,n.y. said:

his job is to cover the bills. granted, he's no gil brandt but i tune into this show to hear about the bills and foootball.  if anything tasker has all but killed the show so far. i find myself looking at what day and time it is to see if i'm actually listening to obl.  there was a thread a while back about tasker and i've been thinking about bumping it...until now.

tasker does zero show prep and carries on about nothing like howard simon. i can't wait for murph to get back. sheesh

• Like (+1) 4

5 minutes ago, Royale with Cheese said:

I think you're being a little too hard on him.

That Welker scenario happened 12 seasons ago.  He covers the Bills, not the division.  If this Welker thing happened in the last year or two...then yeah probably should be fresh enough to retain.  12 years though?

I'm 37, I don't know Cook's story.  He was before my time.

Cook was a very promising young Qb for the Bengals, whose career got short circuited by injury.  Not surprising Brown didn't know him.  Dennis Shaw on the other hand.....

• Like (+1) 5

I didn't realize the monotonous blather of all of WGR M-F local sports talk shows and how quickly they get old until I retired.

Never thought I say this since I got tired of him for pretty much the same reason when he wrote for the BN, but Jerry Sullivan does a decent job on his radio show with variety.  

• Awesome! (+1) 1

57 minutes ago, Albany,n.y. said:

Nobody who is under the age of 60 probably knows who Greg Cook is. Unless you're trying really hard to study for a trivia game. I looked up the guy on Google just now, since I'm apparently supposed to know who this guy is according to you. He played 4 years from 1969-1973, why should I care about that player? I will forget what I just read in a couple of days I'm sure. John Murphy barely knows what's going on in the NFL in the present, let alone in the past history. I'll take Chris Brown any day.

Edited by wagon127
  • Like (+1) 4

So... this is a round about way of saying you should be on the radio? You know more than CB? 

Sometimes life is about who you know!

If it was simply as simple as the above, congrats?

Color me impressed!!! Lol 

Ive seen a lot of misplaced complaints,  hate, and jealousy on here - but this might take the cake! SOMETIMES people with extreme intelligence have trouble in other areas such as social skills etc.... hhhmmmmm....

Edited by gobills1212
  • Like (+1) 1

You're mistaken. 

Trade to New England[edit]

220px-Patriotsgiants_046.jpg

Welker (right) being interviewed after the final game of the undefeated 2007 Patriots regular season

On March 1, 2007, the Dolphins offered Welker, a restricted free agent, a second-round tender of $1.35 million for a one-year contract. News reports indicated the New England Patriots, who were interested in Welker, had originally considered signing him to an offer sheet. Miami would have had seven days to match the offer. According to The Boston Globe, that sheet would have contained a poison pill provision that would have made the offer difficult for the Dolphins to match.[33] Ultimately, however, the Patriots decided not to use such an offer and traded their 2007 second-round draft pick and a seventh-round draft pick to the Dolphins for Welker.[34]

2007 season

• Like (+1) 3
  • Awesome! (+1) 1
  • Thank you (+1) 1

8 minutes ago, BuffaNole3 said:

You're mistaken. 

Trade to New England[edit]

220px-Patriotsgiants_046.jpg

Welker (right) being interviewed after the final game of the undefeated 2007 Patriots regular season

On March 1, 2007, the Dolphins offered Welker, a restricted free agent, a second-round tender of $1.35 million for a one-year contract. News reports indicated the New England Patriots, who were interested in Welker, had originally considered signing him to an offer sheet. Miami would have had seven days to match the offer. According to The Boston Globe, that sheet would have contained a poison pill provision that would have made the offer difficult for the Dolphins to match.[33] Ultimately, however, the Patriots decided not to use such an offer and traded their 2007 second-round draft pick and a seventh-round draft pick to the Dolphins for Welker.[34]

2007 season

That's the same thing that I said.  The only reason they didn't use the offer was because they had Miami over a barrel & with the threat of the offer got the trade.  As I said Because the contract wasn't signed the fact that NE had Miami over a barrel is somewhat obscured because Welker signed a new contract with NE after the trade,

1 hour ago, Albany,n.y. said:

ROFL. He *WAS* traded. I can't believe you wrote this whole rant and were wrong. Regardless of what may have influenced the trade...he was traded. That is what happened so what is your actual complaint?

https://www.espn.com/nfl/news/story?id=2788847

Edited by jeremy2020
  • Haha (+1) 2

19 minutes ago, wagon127 said:

Nobody who is under the age of 60 probably knows who Greg Cook is. Unless you're trying really hard to study for a trivia game. I looked up the guy on Google just now, since I'm apparently supposed to know who this guy is according to you. He played 4 years from 1969-1973, why should I care about that player? I will forget what I just read in a couple of days I'm sure. John Murphy barely knows what's going on in the NFL in the present, let alone in the past history. I'll take Chris Brown any day.

Anything before Ken Anderson on the Bengals and I'm a complete blank.   I mean thorough, zero, blank.  

Speaking of which, Ken Anderson and Forrest Gregg should be something like #19 on the best QB/ Coach thread.  

Anthony Munoz, Max Montoya, Blair Bush was a helluva OLine to build around.  

• Haha (+1) 1

1 hour ago, Albany,n.y. said:

Brown didn't even know what position Greg Cook played.  Greg Cook's story is well known by just about anyone who knows NFL history

LOL, ask 100 NFL fans who Greg Cook is and you might get 2 or 3 correct responses -- from 65-year-olds.  :lol:

• Like (+1) 1
  • Awesome! (+1) 2

28 minutes ago, gobills1212 said:

So... this is a round about way of saying you should be on the radio? You know more than CB? 

Sometimes life is about who you know!

If it was simply as simple as the above, congrats?

Color me impressed!!! Lol 

Ive seen a lot of misplaced complaints,  hate, and jealousy on here - but this might take the cake! SOMETIMES people with extreme intelligence have trouble in other areas such as social skills etc.... hhhmmmmm....

What I'm saying is, I expect someone who is on the radio to know more than the public.  If he doesn't, get someone who does.  That's not me, I'm not qualified to be on the radio, but neither is Chris Brown.  

3 minutes ago, eball said:

LOL, ask 100 NFL fans who Greg Cook is and you might get 2 or 3 correct responses -- from 65-year-olds.  :lol:

I'm 65. 

10 minutes ago, jeremy2020 said:

ROFL. He *WAS* traded. I can't believe you wrote this whole rant and were wrong. Regardless of what may have influenced the trade...he was traded. That is what happened so what is your actual complaint?

https://www.espn.com/nfl/news/story?id=2788847

I wasn't wrong-you have a reading comprehension problem.  Your attachment backs up what I said. 

Edited by Albany,n.y.

1 minute ago, Mike in Horseheads said:

He's a Bills shill, nothing else.

BTW, way, way off topic.....but i forgot to send to you. Month ago Richie justice on the Kornheiser podcast was gushing about the new GM for the Orioles...and how smart dude is and expecation they be back to winning soon. Still got a soft spot in my heart for the O's

Just now, plenzmd1 said:

BTW, way, way off topic.....but i forgot to send to you. Month ago Richie justice on the Kornheiser podcast was gushing about the new GM for the Orioles...and how smart dude is and expecation they be back to winning soon. Still got a soft spot in my heart for the O's

Astros product with high reviews. If they can stay in last and get the number 1 pick again (and they are trying like hell to) in a few years they should be competitive again. Thanks for thinking of me!

I'm 60 and barely remember Greg Cook. In all honesty had he not passed away in recent years I would have forgotten all about him. I can't fault Chris for that, he normally does great work in any forum, written or otherwise. Greg Cook was a promising talent and would have been good for the AFL/AFC, but the shoulder injury took that away from him. 

It is worth noting that Greg's injury forced the Bengals to use Virgil Carter who didn't have the arm strength Cook had. A young assistant coach developed a passing game to cater to those weaknesses. His name was Bill Walsh from wikipedia:

In 1968, Walsh moved to the AFL expansion Cincinnati Bengals, joining the staff of legendary coach Paul Brown. It was there that Walsh developed the philosophy now known as the "West Coast Offense", as a matter of necessity. Cincinnati's new quarterback, Virgil Carter, was known for his great mobility and accuracy but lacked a strong arm necessary to throw deep passes. Thus, Walsh modified the vertical passing scheme he had learned during his time with the Raiders, designing a horizontal passing system that relied on quick, short throws, often spreading the ball across the entire width of the field.[6] The new offense was much better suited to Carter's physical abilities; he led the league in pass completion percentage in 1971.

Edited by GRHater69