8 bold predictions for Buffalo Bills in 2019: Can Josh Allen throw for 4,000 yards?

Today 7:38 AM
Buffalo Bills quarterback Josh Allen connected on a few deep passes last season, and one of NYUP's bold predictions is that he eclipses 4,000 yards in 2019.

AP

Buffalo Bills quarterback Josh Allen connected on a few deep passes last season, and one of NYUP's bold predictions is that he eclipses 4,000 yards in 2019.

By Matt Parrino | mparrino@nyup.com

Buffalo Bills quarterback Josh Allen is planning to enter the team’s 2019 training camp next month in the best physical condition possible.

He’s learned a lot from the highs and lows of his rookie season. He was thrust in as a starter after Nathan Peterman bombed, and he rehabbed back from injury to close out the year on a high note with a substandard supporting cast

Allen enters Year 2 with ramped up expectations and a better understanding of the system under offensive coordinator Brian Daboll. His backup quarterback, Matt Barkley, has six years of NFL experience and his position coach, Ken Dorsey, is a former Heisman Trophy winner with NFL experience and a track record in the job at the NFL level.

“Being in the same system for a year, (with) the same terminology, (and) having such a good rapport with Dabes (Daboll) - knowing the reps that I’m going to get- that’s all been super advantageous for me,” Allen told reporters at his final press conference of minicamp. “I’m really trusting what’s around me. Like I said, the coaches that we got in our room right now are fantastic.”

Bills general manager Brandon Beane bolstered the offensive line in front of Allen and provided a few new weapons in the pass and run game to try and give the franchise signal caller every opportunity to be successful in 2019.

Considering the vast difference in where Allen is starting entering Year 2 it’s not a stretch to predict he’ll be better this season. And that’s where I’m going to start with my pre-training camp bold predictions for the Bills: Allen will eclipse 4,000 yards passing in 2019.

Chicago Bears quarterback Mitchell Trubisky had quite the jump in production from his rookie year to sophomore season, which ended in a playoff berth. But even he couldn’t hit 4,000 yards. So how’s Allen going to do it?

For starters he has a bigger arm and he’s not afraid to use it. He’s got another downfield weapon in free agent receiver acquisition John Brown, who, even in an average statistical season, hauled in five touchdowns for the Baltimore Ravens last year.

Zay Jones and Robert Foster combined for 10 touchdowns last season. Guess how many the rest of the offense totaled for the year? Three - and one of those was a trick play to left tackle Dion Dawkins. The only other receiver to catch a touchdown last season was Kelvin Benjamin, and that was in garbage time against the Los Angeles Chargers. Brown and new slot receiver Cole Beasley have the potential to make this passing game a dynamic one and Allen’s stat line will be the beneficiary.

Allen threw for 2,074 yards in what was about 11 full games (he played about a half against Baltimore in a blowout, and missed most of the second half against Houston). With the improvement of the roster on the offensive side and Allen’s ability to make plays through the air, the expectation should be 4,000 yards for a big arm quarterback playing in a pass happy league.

2. Jordan Poyer will be a Pro Bowler

It’s easy to sit here after a month’s worth of no-pads football practice, pick out a few standout players, and get the fanbase hyped about what could be in store for the coming season.

The difference in what Poyer has shown since the Bills have returned to the practice field following a 6-10 season in 2018 is that he’s done it before. He had five interceptions in 2017 and four in 2018. The Bills had the No. 1 pass defense in the NFL a year ago and the safety combination of Poyer and Micah Hyde are a big reason why teams struggle to pass against it.

“I really think we have the two best safeties in the league,” Allen said after one of the practices this spring where Poyer flashed his ball skills. “How they move - I was just talking about this with some of our guys yesterday. (Poyer) and (Hyde) might as well be the same person on the field. They move in unison, they are very vocal with each other, they know what they are doing and they disguise things so well”

3. Devin Singletary will out-gain LeSean McCoy

If you were paying attention this spring to Bills practice you’re aware that rookie Devin Singletary was getting plenty of run with the first team. LeSean McCoy is in the final year of his contract and after two seasons of declining production it won’t take the Bills long to move on if he struggles in 2019.

McCoy could get back on track. The 31-year-old (when the season begins) could break out of what became a season-long slump and start to put up some numbers again. The offensive line has been upgraded at virtually every position. It could happen.

But the more likely outcome this season is that Singletary gets his work load ratcheted up by the week and he eventually ends up outperforming his elder teammate, who many experts have compared the Florida Atlantic standout to during the draft process. Singletary will see an even larger role if McCoy, or 36-year-old Frank Gore, can’t stay healthy.

4. Ed Oliver will finish with more sacks than Trent Murphy, Shaq Lawson

Trent Murphy and Shaq Lawson combined for eight sacks in 2018. The Bills need that number to get bumped up a few in 2019.

Murphy’s issue has been that he hasn’t been able to stay on the field, while Lawson just hasn’t developed enough as a pass rusher.

Enter Houston’s Ed Oliver.

His meager three sacks in eight games last season was an aberration for the talented and explosive defensive tackle. In his first two seasons for Houston, he totaled 5 and 5.5 sacks, respectively. His get-off and power, despite his lack of ideal size, creates havoc in the backfield for offenses.

Playing alongside space-eater Star Lotulelei and pass rushing savant Jerry Hughes means Oliver is going to get home on opposing quarterbacks. It’ll also help his numbers that in the Bills scheme he’s set to play in the three-technique spot, as opposed to nose tackle, which he played predominantly last season.

Here are the rest of NYUP’s 8 bold prediction for the 2019 Bills.

https://www.newyorkupstate.com/buffalo-bills/2019/06/8-bold-predictions-for-buffalo-bills-in-2019-can-josh-allen-throw-for-4000-yards.html

Edited by HOUSE
  • Awesome! (+1) 1
  • Thank you (+1) 1

If I was a bettor, I'd take the under all day long. That's a 250 per game average, or top 12 last season. Or  ~75 yards per game more than he averaged last season, or a 43% increase. Nothing whatsoever indicates this is likely, much less even possible. Fun to dream in the off season. And do what everyone here does best... hope.

8 bold predictions for Buffalo Bills in 2019

1. people will complain josh just isn't "getting it"
  2. people will complain Zay doesn't belong on the field
  3. people will complain shady is done
  4. people will complain Beasley was a waste of $
  5. people will complain the O Line still sucks
  6. people will complain something to do with DVOA and the Defense 
  7. people will complain McDermott is clueless
  8. people will complain Beane has to go 

Oh wait .......  we've already covered those :oops:

• Like (+1) 1
  • Haha (+1) 1

4k would be amazing but probably not realistic.  For Josh's sophomore year with better protection, I'll be looking for improved decision making and accuracy.  Maybe not 60%, but close to it. I said all along it will be 2020 when Allen explodes onto the spotlight. 

• Like (+1) 1

8 minutes ago, zonabb said:

If I was a bettor, I'd take the under all day long. That's a 250 per game average, or top 12 last season. Or  ~75 yards per game more than he averaged last season, or a 43% increase. Nothing whatsoever indicates this is likely, much less even possible. Fun to dream in the off season. And do what everyone here does best... hope.

Of course it's possible. Jared Goff's ypg went up by 100 yards from year one to year two. 

Tremendous leaps from year one to year two is the new norm for QB's and Allen has a whole new offense to work with. I'm not saying it will happen, but saying it won't is ridiculous. We will need to wait and see. 

I'd be happy with 3500 yds from Josh over a full 16 games  this year while still showing some rushing prowess. Over 4k and we are talking possible OPOY possibilities

3500 yds  would be a stupendous year 2 for the man, 4K would catapult him to a top 10 maybe 5 mention easily..

• Like (+1) 1

Pretty bold predictions.
I can see Allen hitting enough long balls to make defenses respect it and back up which will open up the running game even more and bring Shady back to life. Papa Gore is going to have his way with most defenses on the ground as well, and with the additions on defense, 10-6 is a legit possibility as long as the OL holds up their end of the deal

• Like (+1) 1

While 4000 yards is possible the real thing I want to see from Allen are wins and a playoff berth.  A division title would be even nicer.  If 4000 yards gets me those things I'm great if they don't I'm not so happy.

And whether Allen gets to 4000 yards passing will depend a lot on how the Bills game plan.  If their defense is as good as we think it will be and dominates the schedule then what I want from Allen would be directing an efficient offense that wins TOP & field position most games; doesn't turn the ball over much and when needed can put together game winning 4th quarter drives.  

That would IMO translate to about 3400 yards passing  & 600 yards rushing with Allen producing three passing/rushing TD for every INT/fumble he had.   

1 hour ago, zonabb said:

Thanks for the math lesson, professor buzzkill

• Like (+1) 1
  • Haha (+1) 1