Levy/Kelly ranked 8th Coach/QB duo

I didn’t see it but I’d like to take a shot (in no particular order at the 10). 

Brady / BB

Montana / Walsh

Elway / Shanahan

Bradshaw / Knoll

Marino / Shula

Kelly / Levy

Brees / Payton 

Coryell / Fouts

Favre / Holmgren

Manning / Dungy

How did I do?

2 minutes ago, I am the egg man said:

Any NFL coach worth his salt could have coached that Bills team....and won SB XXV.

Riiiiiight.

I mean it's not like the greatest coach in the history of football was the defensive coordinator for the opposition and drew up a defensive gameplan so great that it's in the Pro Football Hall of Fame or anything. Any coach worth his salt could've beaten Parcells/Belichick that day! And while we're at it, it's not like Levy had the Bills in position to win the game on a 47-yard field goal or anything.

I'm all for listening to a reasonable "Marv was to blame" argument...but "any coach worth his salt" could've won? Really?!

• Haha (+1) 1
  • Thank you (+1) 1

4 minutes ago, Kirby Jackson said:

I didn’t see it but I’d like to take a shot (in no particular order at the 10). 

Brady / BB

Montana / Walsh

Elway / Shanahan

Bradshaw / Knoll

Marino / Shula

Kelly / Levy

Brees / Payton 

Coryell / Fouts

Favre / Holmgren

Manning / Dungy

How did I do?

You did pretty good.  In order:

Satan/Marcia

Walsh/Montana

Paul Brown/Otto Graham

Noll/Bradshaw

Lombardi/Starr

Landry/Staubach

Shula/Marino

Levy/Kelly

Holmgren/Favre

Dungy/Manning 

I didn't see it or the list but off the top of my head...

1.)  Brady/Belichick

2.)  Montana/Walsh

3.)  Lombardi/Starr

4.)  Landry/Staubach

5.)  Noll/Bradshaw

6.) Brown/Graham

7.)  Shanahan/Elway

8.)  Levy/Kelly apparantly

9.)  Madden/Stabler

10.) Coughlin/Manning

I put an emphasis on titles or Superbowls so you could argue Marino/Schula, McNabb/Reid, Manning/Dungy, Roethlisberger/Tomlin etc....

49 minutes ago, Logic said:

I'm all for listening to a reasonable "Marv was to blame" argument...but "any coach worth his salt" could've won? Really?!

Thurman was gouging that great defense averaging 9 yards a carry, yet only got 15 carries. Why ?

They should have run him more. Also, Norwood was more comfortable kicking long field goals from the other side of the field. They should have gotten the ball over to that side of the field. That's coaching.

• Like (+1) 1
  • Thank you (+1) 1

46 minutes ago, Doc Brown said:

I didn't see it or the list but off the top of my head...

1.)  Brady/Belichick

2.)  Montana/Walsh

3.)  Lombardi/Starr

4.)  Landry/Staubach

5.)  Noll/Bradshaw

6.) Brown/Graham

7.)  Shanahan/Elway

8.)  Levy/Kelly apparantly

9.)  Madden/Stabler

10.) Coughlin/Manning

I put an emphasis on titles or Superbowls so you could argue Marino/Schula, McNabb/Reid, Manning/Dungy, Roethlisberger/Tomlin etc....

I was a bit surprised Elway did not get on list.    

8 hours ago, I am the egg man said:

Any NFL coach worth his salt could have coached that Bills team....and won SB XXV.

How many NFL head coaches would have put their job on the line by letting the QB call the plays? 

You're an egg head

7 hours ago, I am the egg man said:

Thurman was gouging that great defense averaging 9 yards a carry, yet only got 15 carries. Why ?

They should have run him more. Also, Norwood was more comfortable kicking long field goals from the other side of the field. They should have gotten the ball over to that side of the field. That's coaching.

Why? Because the Bills offense was on the field for a whopping 19 minutes, due in large part to the defensive game plan of the Giants. 

The main reason the Bills lost Super Bowl XXV was because of poor tackling.

People like to say that Bill Belichick shut us down, since we only scored 19 points.  But our low scoring output had more to do with ridiculously lopsided time-of-possession.  Our offense was having a decent day.  Unfortunately, the defense couldn't get off the field on 3rd Down.

• Thank you (+1) 1

Wasn’t the more on Kelly since called plays at the line?

49 minutes ago, C.Biscuit97 said:

Wasn’t the more on Kelly since called plays at the line?

If Marv, the OC, or anyone else on that coaching staff disagreed with how Kelly was running the O during the Bills' brief time on the field that night, then he could've been overruled in terms of the weight/emphasis of the playcalling at any time. This is armchair/Monday Morning quarterbacking at its best. Had the initial deep strike (61 yds) to Lofton resulted in a TD as opposed to getting bogged down for a FG, for example, then we're all still saving our XXV world champs memorabilia today. Let's not forget the Bills D could not get off the field on 3rd down (how many 3rd and longs did the G-men convert again in this game??) to save its collective behinds. The point is, it was a team loss,  a close one at that, no single man or coach to blame, imho.   

• Like (+1) 1

10 hours ago, ColeB said:

You did pretty good.  In order:

Satan/Marcia

Walsh/Montana

Paul Brown/Otto Graham

Noll/Bradshaw

Lombardi/Starr

Landry/Staubach

Shula/Marino

Levy/Kelly

Holmgren/Favre

Dungy/Manning 

Shula/Marino and Dungy/Manning ahead of Johnson/Aikman?  You could easily make the case that Johnson/Aikman belong ahead of Holmgren/Farve and Levy/Kelly.

10 hours ago, I am the egg man said:

Because traditionally we are so good against Bill Belichick defenses?

Hindsight being 20/20 and if I may paraphrase the saying, that was Bill Belichick being Bill Belichick before anyone knew he would be Bill Belichick.

Edited by dollars 2 donuts
  • Awesome! (+1) 1