What would need to occur to extend or fire McDermott?

If it was me, a worse record than last year should be an instant firing IF all key pieces stay healthy. Getting less than 6 wins would be an amazing failure but hey, this regime convinced everyone Peterman was good on 3 separate occasions so who knows. 

8 minutes ago, Elite Poster said:

If it was me, a worse record than last year should be an instant firing IF all key pieces stay healthy. Getting less than 6 wins would be an amazing failure but hey, this regime convinced everyone Peterman was good on 3 separate occasions so who knows. 

They tried to I don't think they succeeded.

4 hours ago, Elite Poster said:

Elite people should not be fans of this team.  You are NOT?  So okay everything is OKAY and makes sense.

59 minutes ago, ScottLaw said:

I recall Beane referring to Peterman as their "Steady Eddie" prior to the season.?

Edmunds had many opportunities to do so and whiffed on just about all of them last season. 

Because rookies should just walk in and be perfect

it seems, aside from the wrecks ryan circus who only had 31 games as a HC, most before that had 3 years to get the job done, and didn't. going all the way back to wade who was fired after 3 years with a 29-19 record as HC.

all those before ryan were under ralphs ownership so you have to wonder with terry/kim being inexperienced owners whether or not they would follow the 3 year rebuild traits from the past, or give them more then 3 years?

I tend to be more optimistic this year then in years past, yet cautiously. you could say the team rebuild process has been decent but until they get out there on the field no one can say with certainty either way, whether they'll be good or bad?

this is year 3, I believe some pretty big steps need to be taken on both sides of the ball, all phases for that matter, winning no less then 10 games. the single digit win seasons have to be over come. if he and the team manage that, along with a possible playoff berth given winning 10 games, Beane/McD should be extended?

if not, I believe heads should turn if they have 9 wins or less and no (if they manage to sneak in again with 9 wins, all good) playoffs. then again, I can not predict what the Pegulas will do, they could give them 5 years?

Edited by DaBillsFanSince1973

guess I missed the memo as to under what premise the OP launched this thread (NOT surprising for Oldtime- senior moments prevail)...CLIFF NOTES VERSION: don't we have a helluva long way to go before we start talking extension and/or termination?...isn''t the entire "process" and personnel/coaching newness transformation in the infancy stages, yet to be determined?....OR...should have Pegula just heeded the "expert TBD advice" of ...fire McBeane...fire McDermott....fire the Rockpile Beerman( something MUST be his fault), et all"?.....

• 2 weeks later...

I haven't seen this posted anywhere and I think it's an interesting list and relevant to this discussion, so here's CBS Sport's list of the NFL's top-10 coaches:

https://www.cbssports.com/nfl/news/top-10-head-coaches-in-nfl-bill-belichick-still-reigns-but-who-fills-out-the-rest-of-the-list/ 

I think there's a much higher perception in "league circles" of McDermott than Bills fans have.  At any rate, should we be discussing firing a top-10 coach??  

9. Sean McDermott, Bills

The Bills are just 15-17 in two seasons under McDermott, but he earned a lot of respect around the league for coaxing a 10-6 campaign out of a subpar roster in 2017. The Bills' offense took a step backward last year amid a massive personnel overhaul and quarterbacking done by rookie Josh Allen and injury replacements, but the defense showed significant strides, and that's the side of the ball McDermott calls home. 

2 hours ago, 17years&waiting said:

I haven't seen this posted anywhere and I think it's an interesting list and relevant to this discussion, so here's CBS Sport's list of the NFL's top-10 coaches:

https://www.cbssports.com/nfl/news/top-10-head-coaches-in-nfl-bill-belichick-still-reigns-but-who-fills-out-the-rest-of-the-list/ 

I think there's a much higher perception in "league circles" of McDermott than Bills fans have.  At any rate, should we be discussing firing a top-10 coach??  

9. Sean McDermott, Bills

The Bills are just 15-17 in two seasons under McDermott, but he earned a lot of respect around the league for coaxing a 10-6 campaign out of a subpar roster in 2017. The Bills' offense took a step backward last year amid a massive personnel overhaul and quarterbacking done by rookie Josh Allen and injury replacements, but the defense showed significant strides, and that's the side of the ball McDermott calls home. 

It could be as simple as 2 wins in one season this year over New England plus a winning record to get him a 2-3 year extension. The onus isn't just on showing we will be winners, its on showing we are the heir apparent to the division.

6 or less wins without a catastrophic amount of injuries is firable in my opinion unless there is some other context. 7 wins is borderline but I think given the faith in McD's culture they would keep him for one last shot. 

8 or 9 wins and I think you keep him on his current deal. 10 or more wins and I think you have to extend him.

• Like (+1) 1

...quite a comical thread....Steelers have had THREE HC's in 48 years and the same GM since 2000.....NONE of it can be attributed to SIX Lombardis.....during the 17 year drought, Bflo had the finest gang of misfits, unqualifieds, football brass masqueraders, etc affectionately known as "F Troop" (my apologies to O'Rourke for the insult).......so we finally seem to have some real football folks in place, a GM who started as an unpaid intern in 1998 and has progressed through the ranks and a HC who has cleaned up the non-football cultural stench, requiring intestinal fortitude, yet the "fire McBeane....fire McDermott" gang continues to beat the drum....I'm all for bringing back Russ/Whaley/Wrecks tomorrow morning so we can return to some REAL leadership...SMH....

Edited by OldTimeAFLGuy
  • Like (+1) 1
  • Awesome! (+1) 2

There are people here that think he should already be fired which goes to show what they know :huh: But he would have to have a epic failure of a season i would think for the Peg's to let him go .

They are smart enough to know that given the young players they have & the new players brought in that it will take a little bit of time for them to get on the same page despite those that are in yr 2 with this scheme & all .

The D i think will be the saving grace this yr & i believe that it will take a few games for the new pieces to the offense to get in sync with Josh & i look to the later part of the yr to be the proof in the pudding so to say as what to expect from the guys assembled on this team this yr !! 

2019-20 will be very telling. The Bills have invested in McDermott and his system with the understanding that it takes time. Josh Allen's development also plays a large part. Of course expectations are high. and most rebuilds today are not taking five years. If the Bills do not enter the post season soon...the finger pointing may begin and it could get hot.

Edited by Rocket94