What would need to occur to extend or fire McDermott?

Fired in 2019? Don’t see it happening but anything worse than 20th overall on defense might do it...

Extension in 2019 AFC East title will DEFINITELY earn him an extension but I’m more a humble person and will say just simply making the playoffs will earn him an extension...

42 minutes ago, C.Biscuit97 said:

Jauron was reloading a 5-11 team?  And for the millionth time, it was a self inflicted reload.  McDermott has done a good job with the defense but it was a a defense that before Rex was one of the best in the nfl.  

I think SM is a better coach than Rex.  But some of you act like he took over the 0-16 Browns.  

Just give Jauron a few more years and he’ll turn it around. 

Woookay, enjoy your season and Happy Meal!

• Haha (+1) 1

Regardless of the results this season, or next, I don't think they talk extension until he's in the final year of his contract which will be 2021, I believe.

For him to get fired, I'd imagine an unmitigated disaster would have to happen. Like the entire team quitting on him or something. But I can't see that happening. Pegulas feel like they found their guy for the long haul and he's gonna be afforded plenty of time to right the ship. 

Under McD the offense has skidded to the 30th ranked scoring offense.

It was 22nd his first season.  

His average scoring offense is therefore 26th.   Ryan's average scoring O was 11th, Marrone's 20th, and Gailey's 21st. We have to go back to Jauron ('06-'09) to get to 26th.  

Defensively the scoring D has not improved on his watch where it's sat at 18th.  Marrone inherited Gailey's 26th average ranked scoring D, made it 20th the following season, then 4th.  Obviously Gailey wasn't known for his defensive coaching prowess.  

Both of McD's units have slide from when he inherited the team.  The issues are known, but he's also now had three seasons to at least put something competitive on the field.  Given those rankings I'd say that we've been lucky to have won 15 games on his watch so far.  

One would think that he has to show very significant improvement in the offense this season in terms of being able to score.  Obviously any such improvement will come via improvements in Allen's play.  The team scored an average 389 points under Ryan with a QB that will likely never again have a starting job.  McD's offense has averaged 285 points, over 100 fewer.  The D has been about the same in that way.  

The last time that the O scored as few points as we did last season was Jauron's last year and his D held opponents to 48 fewer points (3 ppg) than McD.  Jauron was fired at that point.  So in short, if McD's O doesn't make a pretty good sized stride, and his D doesn't improve, his team after three seasons will be worse than Jauron's was in his last season.  I fail to see how that could possibly be acceptable under any circumstances.  

One would think that the defense would have to improve too.  

Seriously though, if the defense still doesn't rank above average and the O continues to linger in the bottom quartile, I'm not sure how he survives given no significant trend towards improvement.  At some point there has to be a leap in effectiveness of at least one of the units, particularly the offense.  

Edited by Ronin

17 hours ago, Bills92 said:

Extend: Playoffs and a victory in the playoffs

Fired:  Less than 6 wins assuming Allan is healthy for the majority of the season  (If he is hurt for any extended period of time..  then I think McBeane get a pass)

Neither is going anywhere as far as getting fired goes.  I dont think an extention is coming unless a deep playoff run occurs.

1 hour ago, C.Biscuit97 said:

I think SM is a better coach than Rex.  But some of you act like he took over the 0-16 Browns.  

He took over a team whose defense had been destroyed by the Ryan Bros., and who offense was "led,"  by Tyrod ***** Taylor.

That's not far from the 0-16 Browns, IMO.

Under McD the offense has skidded to the 30th ranked scoring offense.

It was 22nd his first season.  

His average scoring offense is therefore 26th.   Ryan's average scoring O was 11th, Marrone's 20th, and Gailey's 21st. We have to go back to Jauron ('06-'09) to get to 26th.  

Defensively the scoring D has not improved on his watch where it's sat at 18th.  Marrone inherited Gailey's 26th average ranked scoring D, made it 20th the following season, then 4th.  Obviously Gailey wasn't known for his defensive coaching prowess.  

Both of McD's units have slide from when he inherited the team.  The issues are known, but he's also now had three seasons to at least put something competitive on the field.  Given those rankings I'd say that we've been lucky to have won 15 games on his watch so far.  

One would think that he has to show very significant improvement in the offense this season in terms of being able to score.  Obviously any such improvement will come via improvements in Allen's play.  The team scored an average 389 points under Ryan with a QB that will likely never again have a starting job.  McD's offense has averaged 285 points, over 100 fewer.  The D has been about the same in that way.  

One would think that the defense would have to improve too.  

Seriously though, if the defense still doesn't rank above average and the O continues to linger in the bottom quartile, I'm not sure how he survives given no significant trend towards improvement.  At some point there has to be a leap in effectiveness of at least one of the units, particularly the offense.  

What would need to occur to extend or fire McDermott?

I would probably ask a related question in a different way. 

If now in his third season, will McD (and Beane by inference) start taking significant heat if he cannot produce above-average units.  

With the exception of Edmunds and the secondary, it's not as if they've brought in any players to improve the offense or the DL, or even the OLB spots.  

With Allen and Oliver pending, along with their current and former free-agents, I mean seriously, if none or only a few of them all step-up then I'm not seeing why that means that these guys know what they're doing.  

If they can't produce O and D units that were better than they were when they got here, after three seasons, then I'm not sure they're right for the job.  What, they need a decade to demonstrate improvement?  

Edited by Ronin

To be real here, neither had any particular credentials before they were hired.  Beane was entirely raw and McD's scoring defense at Carolina ranked squarely average during his tenure with it being ranked 26th in his last season there along with his second-worst yardage D ranking too at 21st.  He was all over the map from season to season with absolutely no consistency whatsoever in that regard.  

As a DC in Philly his scoring D ranked 20th.  

They were hardly the best hires to begin with and Beane was only brought on because he too came from Carolina in a bass-ackwards approach to hiring a GM & HC.  

They've produced nothing above-average here either and offensively they've taken us to the bottom of the league.  

Granted, Allen's pending as Oliver, but if they can't push us to above-average this season, I'm simply not seeing anything much less any kind of trend or pattern that even remotely suggests that they'll get there other than by luck in a single-season basis.  

At some point if you're on the right track then above-average is expected.  If we're happy with average or below-average then that's on us.  

As to Beane, of his day 1 & 2 draft picks none have proven to be premier players.  I like Edmunds chances, but both White and Dawkins have been inconsistent.  Phillips and Jones don't even approach being premier/impact.  This year's days 1 & 2 are still out with Oliver, Knox, Singletary, and Ford.  But if they end up being like our other two drafts, how can Beane's competency for this role not be called into question.  

Edited by Ronin

Fire everybody, no Super Bowl win, fire everybody again - the "informed fan's" mantra!

Well, that is pretty much what the Bills have been doing since Marv Levy left, so those fans are spot on.

Might actually make sense to hire more competent people to begin with.  

Jauron had known issues prior to his hire that were ignored.  I pointed them out at the time. 

Gailey hadn't coached in the NFL what, nearly a decade, and during a rapidly changing NFL at that time, and also had known issues.  

Marrone had absolutely no significant NFL experience.  

The whole Ryan things was just weird, almost everyone bought into that.  I know I did, foolishly.  Some people here staunchly and wisely spoke out about Ryan tho, but they were in a sizeable minority.  

You reap what you sew and get what you pay for.  We can't afford another $5M/season for a real coach or GM, but we waste tons of money on players that never perform because we don't want to pay extra for a proven GM or Coach.  

Again, Beane had absolutely no experience in this role and was clearly just hired because he could get along with the first-hired HC from the same team.  The team really had little choice at that point, they'd penned themselves in.  

McD hasn't proven that he's an above-average DC and he's certainly not proven that he's even an average HC.  Unless he budges that offense from 30th ranked scoring well into the average range this season, seriously, what's he proven.  Nothing.  

6 hours ago, Another Fan said:

Breaking the drought pretty much bought  him three years to do his thing or trust the process so to speak.

Hes not going to get fired this year but I do think he’s under the microscope a little more this year vs last 

If Allen doesn't make enormous strides, I don't think there's going to be much hope much less confidence that next year will be the year.   At that point under such circumstances the Pegulas would simply be awaiting the inevitable, which seems to be a staple in Buffalo.  

Edited by Ronin

5 hours ago, BigBuff423 said:

To fire him.....the wheels need to come off this season in order to get the boot. Total mismanagement of nearly everything and losing of course, that'll do it! Again, it depends on how those losses occurred. In other words, major injuries in the early to middle season and the whole team is derailed due to it, hard to fault him unless he put those guys in position to get hurt. If everyone's healthy (mostly) and Allen regresses or doesn't show the progress he demonstrated in the final quarter of last season, on top of losing etc.....yeah, I think Allen's trajectory is too important to keep tying incompetence to his career. Because as well know, as Allen goes - so goes this franchise.

A little bit of a self-fulfilling prophecy there.  

If Allen makes the requisite strides we'll be fine.  If he doesn't, I have no idea how this offense is going to budge much, if at all, from it's bottom-dwelling ranking which will set the tone for everything else. 

I don't think wins have as much to do with it other than if we hit 9+ again, for the simple reason that the schedule, on paper right now anyway, is among the easiest in the league.  A lot depends upon the Pegulas who seem to manage more by their personal likes than anything else much less any sort of analytical approach or methodology.  

The Patriots have the second easiest SoS, which means that after the Pats ours is even easier since we play Tennessee and Denver while they have to play KC and Houston. 

I also wouldn't say "if Allen regresses," there's really not a whole lot of room for him to regress. I would say that he'll have to make a pretty good sized leap in performance.  He'll have to easily double his TD production to get into the average range there, and he'll have to halve his TOs for the same reason.  It's possible, we'll see.  But if he's going to be our franchise QB, anything less than average QB passing production this season will not indicate any trend in that direction, if anything the opposite.  

Which BTW, is why I would have drafted Hilliard too this season instead of Oliver.  I'd have put as much OL talent around him as possible.  They chose another route.  We'll see if it works.  

Edited by Ronin

5 hours ago, Coach Tuesday said:

As I’ve said here before, Beane is more likely to be fired than McD, who has shown both adaptability and an impressive willingness to stick a dagger in the back of his acolytes when they start to make him look bad.  If guys like Zay, Oliver and Ford faceplant this year and the free agent recruits on offense don’t perform, I could see McD making a power play a la Bill O’Brien and wrestling control of personnel (remember, McD was a scout before he was a coach).

They're joined at the hip if you ask me, joined at the hip with Allen too.  The three of them will sink or swim together.  

2 hours ago, C.Biscuit97 said:

Jauron was reloading a 5-11 team?  And for the millionth time, it was a self inflicted reload.  McDermott has done a good job with the defense but it was a a defense that before Rex was one of the best in the nfl.  

Just give Jauron a few more years and he’ll turn it around. 

Who do  you think coaching is NOT a better coach than Rex.  I thought it was a terrible hire from beginning. 

21 hours ago, Ed_Formerly_of_Roch said:

Lets assume Allen's a bust but the rest of the team is looking better, then maybe he stays. 

What are the odds of that happening tho?  

I'd put them firmly at slim-to-nil.  If Allen busts as such, I see the offense being ranked around 30th again, I don't see it looking better.  If all works out, Oliver essentially replaces Kyle, again, a tall order, but that would still put us where we were last season on D.  

On the other hand, Barkely did post our best game last season as a QB.  Extrapolated over an entire season it would be 24 TDs, 0 INTs, 9.3 YPA, 10.7 AYPA, 117.4 Rating, 16 sacks, and average yardage production.  Just sayin'.  

Edited by Ronin