What would need to occur to extend or fire McDermott?

I'd extend him now. I think he's a good coach and some stability at the top would be nice for a change. I cannot see any way this team collapses to the point where he gets fired.

BTW what's the big deal about his hand clapping? A little Jergens skin care and he'll be fine.

• Haha (+1) 1

To me, you only extend a coach when you believe that his market value will exceed the price you pay him when his contract is up, and obviously that's tied to winning as well as overall dynamics of the team. So, I really like McD and I love (on paper thus far) what Bean has done, but neither IMHO has earned an extension and I really don't think either can do that this season. An extension IMHO would come in the midst of the down time next off-season after there has been a thorough evaluation of what he's done - through his whole term. 

That said, if McD gets to 10 wins and makes the playoffs, I can see an extension and I can also see 10 wins, missing the playoffs and NO extension as well as 9-7 and the playoffs with NO extension. In other words, I don't think the wins alone nor the playoffs alone earn an extension. I think it has to be the totality of circumstances and taking the whole picture into mind. This is going to be his 3rd year, I think honestly, it shouldn't be until the end of his 4th season that such a thing is truly discussed. Because Buffalo needs a CONSISTENT winner, not just fluke years here and there. 

To fire him.....the wheels need to come off this season in order to get the boot. Total mismanagement of nearly everything and losing of course, that'll do it! Again, it depends on how those losses occurred. In other words, major injuries in the early to middle season and the whole team is derailed due to it, hard to fault him unless he put those guys in position to get hurt. If everyone's healthy (mostly) and Allen regresses or doesn't show the progress he demonstrated in the final quarter of last season, on top of losing etc.....yeah, I think Allen's trajectory is too important to keep tying incompetence to his career. Because as well know, as Allen goes - so goes this franchise.

All of that said - I really believe McD is going to turn this ship around and do so for the long term. 

• Like (+1) 1

As I’ve said here before, Beane is more likely to be fired than McD, who has shown both adaptability and an impressive willingness to stick a dagger in the back of his acolytes when they start to make him look bad.  If guys like Zay, Oliver and Ford faceplant this year and the free agent recruits on offense don’t perform, I could see McD making a power play a la Bill O’Brien and wrestling control of personnel (remember, McD was a scout before he was a coach).

I know it won’t happen but I would fire him right now. Mostly for his comments about how he wants to “pass when we have to”  and how it’s inevitable in our climate to run the ball. I’m just not interested in that sort of team. In fact, I think we are due for a few years of pass-only offense. 

• Haha (+1) 1

Fired: 5 wins or less

1 year extension 6-8 wins dependent upon progress of Allen and or impact on team due to key injuries outside of McDermott's control.

2 year extension with 9+ wins no wildcard

3 year extension with wildcard

4 year extension with wildcard + 1 win in playoffs

5 year extension with division championship

6 year extension with Superbowl Win

13 minutes ago, Chemical said:

I know it won’t happen but I would fire him right now. Mostly for his comments about how he wants to “pass when we have to”  and how it’s inevitable in our climate to run the ball. I’m just not interested in that sort of team. In fact, I think we are due for a few years of pass-only offense. 

Here we go, "I want arena football," how about a coach that game plans to win - run, pass whatever it takes!!!

• Haha (+1) 1

12 minutes ago, vorpma said:

Here we go, "I want arena football," how about a coach that game plans to win - run, pass whatever it takes!!!

Exactly! If we passed every play last year what would the difference be? Allen is more developed, the Bills are better in Madden, and i don’t irrationally hate Zay Jones?

1 hour ago, BarleyNY said:

Glad you saw he is on a 5 year contract.  I couldn’t find that info.  If that’s the case, then I think you nailed it. 

"With matching five-year contracts, it's true that Beane and McDermott will be tied together, and should enjoy a solid working relationship. "

https://buffalonews.com/2017/05/09/five-things-know-new-bills-general-manager-brandon-beane/

Yeah, just too early, to make either of these decisions two years into a rebuild, absent a massive disaster or success. Wildly unlikely.

• Like (+1) 1

1 hour ago, vorpma said:

Fire everybody, no Super Bowl win, fire everybody again - the "informed fan's" mantra!

Well, that is pretty much what the Bills have been doing since Marv Levy left, so those fans are spot on.

1 hour ago, Another Fan said:

Breaking the drought pretty much bought  him three years to do his thing or trust the process so to speak.

Hes not going to get fired this year but I do think he’s under the microscope a little more this year vs last 

You’re probably correct and we are all happy the drought is over.  But if you are objective about that playoff team, it was about as bad of a playoff team as there has been.  It also shows how pathetic the previous 17 years are because you should just get lucky.  

But expectations isnt a bad thing.  Teams can go from bad to good in one offseason in the NFL.  The Bears fired Lovie Smith after a 10 win season.  The Raptors fired the coach of the year after making the conference finals.  

Honest question: what is one thing McDermott has shown that looks like an elite coach skill?

• Like (+1) 2

According to our esteemed beat reporter (soon to be ex) Mr. Rodak, projections that this regime will be canned even for a no-show non-playoff 2019 year, are a non-starter:

Can the Bills' decision-makers survive missing the playoffs in 2019?

Yes. Coach Sean McDermott and general manager Brandon Beane earned goodwill from fans in 2017 when they led the franchise to its first playoff appearance since 1999. That kept fans off their backs when the Bills finished 6-10 last season, which was partly the result of trading quarterback Tyrod Taylor and drafting Josh Allen -- and then watching their developing rookie quarterback become injured midseason. Fans understood Beane and McDermott did not see Taylor as the foundation of a long-term contender and are more hopeful Allen can be the franchise quarterback. As long as Allen takes a step forward in 2019, Beane and McDermott can survive into 2020 without making the playoffs. The top decision-makers seem to have sold the fan base on incremental improvements over instant gratification. -- Mike Rodak

I humbly note that Rodak must not be much of a reader of the goings-on here at TBD. ;)

https://www.espn.com/nfl/story/_/id/26995546/answering-biggest-2019-questions-all-32-nfl-teams-division

40 minutes ago, Joe in Winslow said:

Fever dream of a McDermott hater.

I definitely feel that so long as we see continued improvement on O, in particular the maturation of Allen's game in the right direction, McD & Co. are not going to be let go short of a dramatic implosion of the team, which by definition is not going to happen if Allen progresses the way we hope/expect him to in year 2. 

• Like (+1) 1

11 hours ago, C.Biscuit97 said:

Through 2 years

Coach A:  14-18, -113 point differential, inherited a 5-11 team

coach B: 15-17, -162 point differential, inherited a 7-9 team

if Mcdermott wins 10+, extension.  If he has a losing record, barring a major qb injury or just awful luck and Allen shows progress, he gets fired.  Besides being a nice guy, what has he shown that is elite?  It’s the nfl. You don’t need 5 years to turn around teams anymore. 

And coach A was Dick Jauron.  

You're missing the point. Comparing the win totals between a coach who's rebuilding (this group) and a coach who's reloading (Jauron) is like comparing SAT score between a high school senior and an elementary school student. A rebuild puts you at the baby stage in the life cycle of a team. A reload shows you have committed to win and very soon.

The guy who says, "Well, the high school guy got a much higher score, so that shows he's smarter than the elementary school kid, he'll be more successful in life than the elementary school kid and he'll do better in law school," ... that guy just doesn't get it. Nor does the guy who compares win totals for the first two years of a rebuild with win totals for the first two years of a reload. 

Fair enough if you wanted the Bills to rebuild rather than reload after Mularkey. But that's not the way they went. 

1 hour ago, C.Biscuit97 said:

Honest question: what is one thing McDermott has shown that looks like an elite coach skill?

Building a very good defense.

Edited by Thurman#1
  • Thank you (+1) 1

2 hours ago, C.Biscuit97 said:

Keep everybody even if they are good because they are nice and Buffalo should just be happy we have a coach.  You need 5 years to turn around a 7 win team!

Our fast food society at work; I want it and I want it now or I throw a temper tantrum!

59 minutes ago, NoHuddleKelly12 said:

According to our esteemed beat reporter (soon to be ex) Mr. Rodak, projections that this regime will be canned even for a no-show non-playoff 2019 year, are a non-starter:

4- 5 more days of Roadhack !!!!!!!!!!!

may his replacement do a better job.  

• Thank you (+1) 1

1 hour ago, Thurman#1 said:

You're missing the point. Comparing the win totals between a coach who's rebuilding (this group) and a coach who's reloading (Jauron) is like comparing SAT score between a high school senior and an elementary school student. A rebuild puts you at the baby stage in the life cycle of a team. A reload shows you have committed to win and very soon.

The guy who says, "Well, the high school guy got a much higher score, so that shows he's smarter than the elementary school kid, he'll be more successful in life than the elementary school kid and he'll do better in law school," ... that guy just doesn't get it. Nor does the guy who compares win totals for the first two years of a rebuild with win totals for the first two years of a reload. 

Fair enough if you wanted the Bills to rebuild rather than reload after Mularkey. But that's not the way they went. 

Building a very good defense.

Jauron was reloading a 5-11 team?  And for the millionth time, it was a self inflicted reload.  McDermott has done a good job with the defense but it was a a defense that before Rex was one of the best in the nfl.  

I think SM is a better coach than Rex.  But some of you act like he took over the 0-16 Browns.  

27 minutes ago, vorpma said:

Our fast food society at work; I want it and I want it now or I throw a temper tantrum!

Just give Jauron a few more years and he’ll turn it around.