What would need to occur to extend or fire McDermott?

4 minutes ago, Ethan in Portland said:

2-14 without an injury to Allen and they still don't happen? What if they are 4-12 and Allen is benched after 10 games?

In the cases you laid out, there probably will be talk among the owners and F.O. staff.  I think these cases are highly unlikely which is why I framed my first sentence the way I did. 

A proven failure like Doug Whaley got 4 years. Hard to imagine McD or Beane getting any less than that from Pegs, especially after breaking the drought in their first year... something truly heinous would have to happen. 

As for extension, he’s only starting year 3 of a 5 year contract, too early to do anything unless maybe an AFC East title & 1-2 playoff wins. SB win, then absolutely.

• Like (+1) 2

Through 2 years

Coach A:  14-18, -113 point differential, inherited a 5-11 team

coach B: 15-17, -162 point differential, inherited a 7-9 team

if Mcdermott wins 10+, extension.  If he has a losing record, barring a major qb injury or just awful luck and Allen shows progress, he gets fired.  Besides being a nice guy, what has he shown that is elite?  It’s the nfl. You don’t need 5 years to turn around teams anymore. 

And coach A was Dick Jauron.  

• Like (+1) 1

Fired? Lose the locker room and win 2 - 4 games looking awful.

Extended? Why? Too early. He's hired for this year and two more. But playing the game, they reach the AFC championship game. 

Chance of either happening, maybe 1%.

• Like (+1) 1

Answer is neither, this is likely a mute point thread as neither scenario is realistic.  Nothing is impossible, but below are why this really is a premature thread that likely will have neither of these outcomes.

The season would have to be a disaster for him to get fired.  And there is almost no chance this year is worse than last year with all the development we saw down the stretch of Allen, Edmunds, and Foster to go with all the new additions to significantly upgrade what was last year mostly a terrible group of receivers, tight ends, and offensive lineman.  Plus we got Milano back, lots of strong depth at CB, a healthy Murphy, and of course Oliver to elevate what was already a solid defense.  Even if injuries happened that made the season fall apart, I don't think he would get fired for that this season.  

McD is already gaining a lot of respect around the league as a top young coach, I don't think he on any kind of a short leash at this year.  

There is also probably little chance he gets extended this year given he has a 5 year contract.  But for argument sake, I guess an extension could happen if he either:

1. Wins the division.
  2. Wins a playoff game.
  3. Gets double digit wins could do it if the team finished the season strong.  If he starts hot and goes 5-1 to start the season, but then finishes 5-5 down the stretch for instance, not sure the double digit wins quite does the trick on its own unless he made some noise in the playoffs..  But say we started 2-3 but then started to really gel the new pieces and he finished 8-3 down the stretch with some big wins, I could see them considering it.
Edited by Alphadawg7

10 hours ago, LABILLBACKER said:

If he averages more than 74 claps per game he's fired....under that I'll extend. 

I disagree. If it is 74+ claps for TD and getting the turnover then that is good. If is 74+ claps for "well, you tried but fell short" then bring out the ax.

In all seriousness, he aint getting fired. This thing is happening boys and girls!

8 hours ago, Thurman#1 said:

Fired? Lose the locker room and win 2 - 4 games looking awful.

Extended? Why? Too early. He's hired for this year and two more. But playing the game, they reach the AFC championship game. 

Chance of either happening, maybe 1%.

Glad you saw he is on a 5 year contract.  I couldn’t find that info.  If that’s the case, then I think you nailed it. 

8 hours ago, C.Biscuit97 said:

Through 2 years

Coach A:  14-18, -113 point differential, inherited a 5-11 team

coach B: 15-17, -162 point differential, inherited a 7-9 team

if Mcdermott wins 10+, extension.  If he has a losing record, barring a major qb injury or just awful luck and Allen shows progress, he gets fired.  Besides being a nice guy, what has he shown that is elite?  It’s the nfl. You don’t need 5 years to turn around teams anymore. 

And coach A was Dick Jauron.  

Fire everybody.