What would need to occur to extend or fire McDermott?

I think 10 wins with or without a playoff appearance would earn McD a 2-3 year extension. 9-7 with another playoff game and I would probably extend as well if the blowout losses are less frequent and Allen is developing.

4 or less wins and he should be fired.

Anything in between he is brought back on his current deal with a dreaded vote of confidence in week 16 and a playoffs or your fired ultimatum for 2020.

• Like (+1) 2

Extend: Playoffs and a victory in the playoffs

Fired:  Less than 6 wins assuming Allan is healthy for the majority of the season  (If he is hurt for any extended period of time..  then I think McBeane get a pass)

• Like (+1) 1

I'd think a huge major bad season like less than 3 wins more than that likely gets him at least a fourth season to start.  If next year by Nov, they are like 2-10 then maybe gets the boot then or by year end.  Beane likely survives and hires a new coach.  GM's usually get at least two coaches to burn through.

Extended    Playoffs this year likely gets him extended or a .500 record this year puts in a wait and see what next year brings.  9-7 or better next year probably gets him extended then. 

Also depends alot on what happens around him.  Lets assume Allen's a bust but the rest of the team is looking better, then maybe he stays. The failure rate of rookie QB's is easily 50% so firing a guy for picking the wrong QB would be really  dumb and shows the likelihood of any future success is low as the owner would be clueless to fire for that reason.

The Pegula's have put the slogan up "Trust The Process" in large letters in the entrance of the new workout facility.

I doubt they're willing to remodel the entrance after one year or have the heart to put McD's NFL leading 26 assistants out the door at once and rebuild from scratch. 

It's not like tossing out a few coaches and staff from the Sabres and starting over. McDermott's safe through 2020. 

Edited by I am the egg man
  • Like (+1) 7
  • Awesome! (+1) 2

I would say a deep playoff run to the afc championship game or super bowl gets him a fat extension. 

I cant see any possible scenario he could get fired this year. I think they could go 2-14 and he’d still keep his job this season. 

I do expect them to be a playoff contending team though as currently constructed 

I doubt that ownership will be willing to move on from McD at this juncture.  I think the Pegulas understood the roster train wreck that McD and Beane inherited from Rex and Whaley.  Fixing the cap situation, adding decent talent in the draft, and making smart moves in free agency are indications that the organization is moving in the right direction.  Both Pegulas and Beane have spoken about building the team to be competitive for the long term.  Even though the record was not good in 2018, the team played hard and seemed to be as prepared as their weak roster could be.  With all of this, it doesn't make me think that they will be making any knee jerk reactions now.

• Like (+1) 2

2 hours ago, Ethan in Portland said:

I think 10 wins with or without a playoff appearance would earn McD a 2-3 year extension. 9-7 with another playoff game and I would probably extend as well if the blowout losses are less frequent and Allen is developing.

4 or less wins and he should be fired.

Anything in between he is brought back on his current deal with a dreaded vote of confidence in week 16 and a playoffs or your fired ultimatum for 2020.

I was actually ready to give a ridiculed response thinking it was another moron that think it's playoffs or he gets the boot.  That's exactly where I'd place the win loss total for an extension or a firing.

• Like (+1) 1

1 hour ago, I am the egg man said:

The Pegula's have put the slogan up "Trust The Process" in large letters in the entrance of the new workout facility.

I doubt they're willing to remodel the entrance after one year or have the heart to put McD's NFL leading 26 assistants out the door at once and rebuild from scratch. 

It's not like tossing out a few coaches and staff from the Sabres and starting over. McDermott's safe through 2020. 

Lol. The Process is continuous improvement. And that means evaluating what isn't working all the time and trying to get better. Even if that means getting rid of the coach .

15 minutes ago, Happy Gilmore said:

I doubt these conversations will happen this year in all probability.  Next year I think this gets discussed, either way.

2-14 without an injury to Allen and they still don't happen? What if they are 4-12 and Allen is benched after 10 games?

• Like (+1) 1