The Closing of the Fillmore East June 18th-June 27 1971

T&C

I'm in a group that reminds every year... and why not. I was for sure too young to attend but the music played inside of that place, not to mention everything else that probably went on in there, was incredible. Nice way to head out though:

No photo description available.

Still have the original vinyl box set "Fillmore, the last days" with the poster, fake tickets, etc. 3 Lp's in all. 

• Like (+1) 3

2 hours ago, T&C said:

I was for sure too young to attend

Not sure if it could be called ominous with the Allman Bros as the last headliner to play there.

But, Duane Allman and their original bassist Berry Oakley, died in separate crashes in just a little over a year after that.

16 hours ago, T&C said:

I'm in a group that reminds every year... and why not. I was for sure too young to attend but the music played inside of that place, not to mention everything else that probably went on in there, was incredible. Nice way to head out though:

No photo description available.

Still have the original vinyl box set "Fillmore, the last days" with the poster, fake tickets, etc. 3 Lp's in all. 

I have that Allman's show on vinyl. Incredible performance and one of the few "Quadrophonic" recordings.

16 hours ago, I am the egg man said:

Not sure if it could be called ominous with the Allman Bros as the last headliner to play there.

But, Duane Allman and their original bassist Berry Oakley, died in separate crashes in just a little over a year after that.

we know all that. give us some credit...

Moby Grape's founder Skip Spence wound up in a psych ward and recorded tunes and they released it on him without his permission. The Oar album ranks up there's with Sid Barrett's solo efforts

One fun quote involving the Fillmore East...

We had to do the album in New York because the producer wanted to be with his family. So we had to leave our families and spend months at a time in hotel rooms in New York City. Finally I just quit and went back to California. I got a phone call after a couple of days. They'd played a Filmore East gig without me, and Skippy took off with some black witch afterward who fed him full of acid. It was like that scene in the Doors movie. He thought he was the anti-Christ. He tried to chop down the hotel room door with a fire axe to kill Don to save him from himself. He went up to the 52nd floor of the CBS building where they had to wrestle him to the ground.

• Thank you (+1) 1

On 6/25/2019 at 7:41 PM, I am the egg man said:

I was only 10, my Mother wouldn't let me go.

They also died less than a mile apart.

Nice shot of Bill and a few friends, FZ hanging on the wall... this may be at Winterland though:

Image may contain: 2 people, people sitting

• 1 month later...