Jonah Williams will miss the 2019 season

5 hours ago, Logic said:

Ugh. That sucks. Hope he recovers quickly and well.

Unrelated to the injury, I'm super glad the Bills didn't draft him.

After Shaq Lawson's experience with a torn labrum, I think the Bills were extra wary of that particular injury.

• Like (+1) 1

5 hours ago, YoloinOhio said:

Definitely agree on Oliver over Jonah at 9, I do wonder if the Bills were actually as high as the media painted them to be on Jonah or if that was all a smokescreen. Reason I say that is that after the draft, a Cincy reporter said on radio that he told teams he would only play LT and not to draft him if they were going to try to play him elsewhere. 

It’s interesting that a draft prospect that isn’t playing QB would tell teams to not draft him unless he gets what he wants. It’s make new think of the rumor that went around stating Anthony Johnson told the Bills to not draft him. Also, went from a projected mid round pick to being an UDFA which could have been a reason behind him falling. 

13 hours ago, dave mcbride said:

Wow. That is unbelievable. Just goes to show that the injury stuff that we don't find out about in the run-up to the draft is so important. What's wrong with the Bengals? Shades of Rex and Shaq Lawson!

"Williams initially suffered the injury in OTAs and Taylor wouldn't comment on the severity. That quickly morphed into the Bengals refusing to let Williams address it with the media, which gave the air of something significant potentially on the way. "

https://bengalswire.usatoday.com/2019/06/25/jonah-williams-miss-rookie-season-shoulder-surgery/

That's a shame. I hope he recovers quickly.

Edited by Thurman#1

9 hours ago, YoloinOhio said:

Definitely agree on Oliver over Jonah at 9, I do wonder if the Bills were actually as high as the media painted them to be on Jonah or if that was all a smokescreen. Reason I say that is that after the draft, a Cincy reporter said on radio that he told teams he would only play LT and not to draft him if they were going to try to play him elsewhere. 

According to Bandit (who I always trust on these matters) if Oliver was gone it came down to Jonah or Wilkins at #9. 

19 hours ago, BillsfaninSB said:

That is awful.   I wish him the best.  Did it happen during practice or pre-existing?

i wonder if the Raiders took Oliver we would have drafted him. 

Im really really really glad we don't have to live that reality !! ?

4 minutes ago, RoyBatty is alive said:

I not so sure, wouldn't mind it if it happened on the PAts, esp since the man gets to collect on a big rookie paycheck while rehabbing and learning the pro game

it happened to isahia wynn last year who was their first round tackle i think. torn achilles. 

9 hours ago, Doc Brown said:

They officially have a 1st round rookie curse.  It's what happens when you make a ginger your franchise QB.  It was my only hesitation in wanting Sam Darnold.

I was gonna post this as well, saw the same tweet from Field Yates yesterday. That's either bad luck or bad scouting by their medical team.

21 hours ago, YoloinOhio said:

Wow. Tough news for him. Cordy Glenn back to LT?

seems like it 

The Bengals announced Tuesday that Williams is expected to make a full recovery from the surgery, which repaired a torn labrum in his left shoulder. He was expected to be their starting left tackle. Cordy Glenn, who started at left tackle last season, is expected to again start there with Williams out.

Interesting ... though not confirmed, it is likely he did have instability in that shoulder in college (based on a shoulder brace he wore), which can lead to a tear. Chao compared it to Lawson’s situation. 

https://www.sandiegouniontribune.com/sports/pro-football-doc/story/2019-06-26/pfd-jonah-williams-shoulder-injury-bengals-labrum-brace

The likelihood is that Williams had a labral issue while in college.

During his last two collegiate seasons, he was seen playing with a left shoulder strap, the kind that is used to stabilize shoulders when the labrum is torn.

I am not being critical of the Bengals medical staff. (I even sat next to them at the NFL Combine evaluating players for almost 20 years.) It is entirely possible their doctors and trainers knew of the injury at the Combine and that the team felt Williams could play through his rookie campaign with the strap/brace and get it fixed later.

Edited by YoloinOhio