Jonah Williams will miss the 2019 season

38 minutes ago, John from Riverside said:

Could you just imagine if that was the bills putting out that message?

Especially after the Lawson shoulder issue? Half this board went nuts.

27 minutes ago, K-9 said:

Especially after the Lawson shoulder issue? Half this board went nuts.

It was suspected/obvious(?) at the combine that Lawson had an injured shoulder. He didn't do the bench press at the combine or his Pro Day, unlike Jonah Williams.

That drove a lot of fans nuts alone. Add in, as it's looking, many thought he wasn't a 16th overall talent then and which he certainly has not shown yet, with his shoulder repaired.

5 minutes ago, I am the egg man said:

It was suspected/obvious(?) at the combine that Lawson had an injured shoulder. He didn't do the bench press at the combine or his Pro Day, unlike Jonah Williams.

That drove a lot of fans nuts alone. Add in, as it's looking, many thought he wasn't a 16th overall talent then and which he certainly has not shown yet, with his shoulder repaired.

In that case, I’m glad we took him at 19. 

But it was funny when people lost it about about an injured shoulder he played most of his college career with. 

This very well may be his last season here.

I tore the labrum in both my shoulders shoveling snow.  Still shoveled snow and did everything else I did before it but doctor said I'd have to have surgery eventually when I could not deal with the pain.  I did the surgery for each shoulder at a different time. It is possible that medical staff for Bengals missed it for he was able to function but he made it worse in OTA.  If he had disclosed it ahead of time it would have cost him a lot of money.   

Reminds me of a used car I bought from a dealer which came with a warranty.  I had issues and brought it back three times and each case they said issue was not covered by warranty. On 4th time I went to another dealer and they told me the issue was covered by warranty and was at least 6 months old - before I bought the car - and the dealer told me that when a dealer sells a certified used car with warranty they are responsible for portion of costs of repairs under warranty.

1 hour ago, I am the egg man said:

As other poster said, 19, and there was a consensus among experts (almost) that he would go 19th or higher. Of course, as I go to back up that boast the first mock draft I find had him dropping out of the first round (SB Nation). The rest I checked: 8, 11, 8, 11, 19, 19, 11, 11, 17 (then i got bored). Ragland was also a first rounder in most of those, fwiw, and from what I've heard from Chiefs fans, we were not premature to trade him.

Hindsight is 20/20. Lawson has played better than his stats and than most here give him credit, but certainly not played like you want from a first rounder. That said, I'm still hoping for a breakout year this year, and would not be shocked if that happened and he wound up back in 2020. However, also, that said, I don't think it's particularly likely (just in the realm of the possible).

Edited by thurst44
grammar
  • Like (+1) 1

2 hours ago, YoloinOhio said:

There are certainly reasons that one may view the Bengals FO as incompetent but this isn’t one. They didn’t know he would get injured in OTAs. They have depth there but it sucks for them. 

Not trying to paint the Bengals as incompetent. Just trying to acknowledge how refreshing it is to have a FO with vision. Not sour on Jonah as a player, but you don't pick him at 9 over Oliver in any scenario. Pretty certain they favored Ford in that range.

1 hour ago, I am the egg man said:

1 hour ago, K-9 said:

But it was funny when people lost it about about an injured shoulder he played most of his college career with. 

People went nuts because the GM lied about his readiness to play right away.

• Thank you (+1) 2

11 minutes ago, billsbackto81 said:

Not trying to paint the Bengals as incompetent. Just trying to acknowledge how refreshing it is to have a FO with vision. Not sour on Jonah as a player, but you don't pick him at 9 over Oliver in any scenario. Pretty certain they favored Ford in that range.

Definitely agree on Oliver over Jonah at 9, I do wonder if the Bills were actually as high as the media painted them to be on Jonah or if that was all a smokescreen. Reason I say that is that after the draft, a Cincy reporter said on radio that he told teams he would only play LT and not to draft him if they were going to try to play him elsewhere. 

1 hour ago, K-9 said:

I stand corrected, 19th overall.

With teams like Clemson and Alabama, almost every defensive starter going pro seems worthwhile.

I agree he don't seem long for here, if he has a good season of not.

6 minutes ago, Mr. WEO said:

People went nuts because the GM lied about his readiness to play right away.

.....and coach.

Edited by I am the egg man
  • Like (+1) 1

Just now, Ed_Formerly_of_Roch said:

Was that the surgery that Lawson had his rookie year?  He still played part of it thought I thought??

He did - he missed the first 6 games. There are different degrees of tears. Williams must have been bad. 

2 minutes ago, YoloinOhio said:

He did - he missed the first 6 games. There are different degrees of tears. Williams must have been bad. 

I think that completely wasted Lawson's rookie year and carried over to his 2nd season.  Last year was the first time he even came close to looking like a high drafted player.  Will see what this season brings.