Jump to content
YoloinOhio

Joe B’s roster of 53 prediction, one month from TC

Recommended Posts

24 minutes ago, nucci said:

agree and they have to be better than last year's mess

They would be better THIS year with better coaching and scheme.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
Posted (edited)
1 hour ago, nucci said:

agree and they have to be better than last year's mess

Right. Looking at the cuts you can see mutliple guys who started the majority of last year’s games. 

 

The new guys will be tested in week 1 against what should be a strong Jets front. 

Edited by CommonCents

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
2 hours ago, teef said:

anyone notice tommy  sweeney on that list?  i sure did.

I think the only draft pick he did not have on the roster was Daryl Johnson.

  • Like (+1) 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
3 hours ago, thebandit27 said:

Generally agree with his projections, but I think they'll keep 9 OL and only 10 DBs.

 

As for positional battles, here's what I see:

 

- It's Bolden vs. McKenzie for the WR6 spot.  The team clearly wants to keep a gadget-type with short-area quickness, and these two check that box.  I don't really see Duke Williams entering the battle unless he looks incredible during TC.

- Yeldon vs. Perry vs. Murphy for the RB4 spot. I know special teams is important, but I'd rather keep the guy that shows the ability to run the ball when asked.  RBs get banged up in this league; it's a fact of life.

- Lewis vs. K. Johnson vs. Pitts for the CB5 spot.  I'm assuming that the top 4 CBs are set as White/Wallace/T. Johnson/Gaines (I'm counting Neal as one of 5 safeties in this case).  For me, you've got plenty of guys that can play the slot role in T. Johnson, Gaines, Neal, and even Hyde if necessary.  I'm not worrying so much about who can handle the slot; I'm more interested in who's the best cover guy.  Keeping a 6th corner at the expense of a 4th tackle would be a mistake IMO.

K. Johnson very well could end up being the starting CB opposite TreDavious.  The reporters can't stop talking about him making picks.  He is a former 1st rounder.  the only reason he isn't on a big contract is he can't stay healthy.  Wallace is a nice story but K. Johnson is a baller if healthy.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
12 minutes ago, Fred Slacks said:

K. Johnson very well could end up being the starting CB opposite TreDavious.  The reporters can't stop talking about him making picks.  He is a former 1st rounder.  the only reason he isn't on a big contract is he can't stay healthy.  Wallace is a nice story but K. Johnson is a baller if healthy.

 

I wasn't a big KJ guy when he came out of Wake Forest, so I need to see it with my own eyes before I'm convinced.

 

That said, it's never a bad thing when a former 16th overall pick starts making waves in a new setting.

  • Like (+1) 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
Posted (edited)

I probably keep 9 Oline over 7 corners.  I'm also fully in the anti-fullback camp.

 

Sirles has experience inside and outside - waddle worked under scarneccia - probably between those two.  Someone probably goes on IR anyway so this whole argument is moot.

Edited by dneveu

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
2 hours ago, Brian3488 said:

Man where's the Eddie yarbough love. Guy can pass rush

Yes Eddie Yarbrough is forgotten man on that line. Only discussion I have seen is here:

https://buffalowdown.com/2019/06/20/buffalo-bills-4-defensive-players-roster-bubble/2/

He did play with Josh at Wyoming.  Maybe with his size he should be looking at playing TE. 

 

 

  • Like (+1) 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
Posted (edited)

If I look at Yeldon, Croom, and Bolden, I'd rank Bolden last of those three as far as what overall strength  they can give the team so would rather see one of the other two kept over him and go with just 5 WR.  Can make the argument to that Croom is kind of a WR type of TE anyway.

 

Wouldn't be shocked to see Sirles kept instead of Teller as he can play guard and tackle.  If you're only keeping 8 lineman, better be versatile.

 

Same with keeping Neal as a CB, he could still play safety, so maybe cut one of the safeties then and have Neal as the 4th safety.  Could you get away with J Johnson to the PS?  Would he clear waivers??  May depend on his pre-season level of play

Edited by Ed_Formerly_of_Roch

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

I've got TJ over DiMarco

Duke over Boldin

 

  • Like (+1) 2

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
Posted (edited)
17 hours ago, thebandit27 said:

Generally agree with his projections, but I think they'll keep 9 OL and only 10 DBs.

 

As for positional battles, here's what I see:

 

- It's Bolden vs. McKenzie for the WR6 spot.  The team clearly wants to keep a gadget-type with short-area quickness, and these two check that box.  I don't really see Duke Williams entering the battle unless he looks incredible during TC.

- Yeldon vs. Perry vs. Murphy for the RB4 spot. I know special teams is important, but I'd rather keep the guy that shows the ability to run the ball when asked.  RBs get banged up in this league; it's a fact of life.

- Lewis vs. K. Johnson vs. Pitts for the CB5 spot.  I'm assuming that the top 4 CBs are set as White/Wallace/T. Johnson/Gaines (I'm counting Neal as one of 5 safeties in this case).  For me, you've got plenty of guys that can play the slot role in T. Johnson, Gaines, Neal, and even Hyde if necessary.  I'm not worrying so much about who can handle the slot; I'm more interested in who's the best cover guy.  Keeping a 6th corner at the expense of a 4th tackle would be a mistake IMO.

 

On the receiver battle my mind is exactly where yours is. They want a short area quickness gadget guy more than they want a size guy. It is about the offense Daboll wants to run and if it comes down to that last spot I imagine him banging on the table for his gadget guy. I said as much to Alphadawg the other week. I must confess I hadn't paid much attention to Bolden Jnr but if Joe B thinks he has played himself in with a shot then I will keep my ear out early in camp. 

 

I am not absolutely certain they even keep a 4th back. I think all of the three potentially in the battle to be a 4th back are in the "show me something" position. I don't think they will just keep whoever is the least bad of the 3. There is a potential spot there but one of them has to earn it. 

 

I think you are right - 10 DBs and 9 OL. Where I differ is I think the 10 DBs are all but set and someone is going to have to put something together to break into that. Five corners (White, Wallace, T. Johnson, K. Johnson, Gaines). Four safeties (Hyde, Poyer, J. Johnson, Bush) and the hybrid / big nickel / backup slot (Neal). Barring a camp injury I think that is your 10. 

 

On the OL I think you can pretty much write in pen the names of Dawkins, Ford and Nsekhe at tackle and the names of Morse, Spain and Long on the interior. Feliciano has the inside track as well which gets you to 7. The leading candidates for spots 8 and 9 are probably Waddle and Teller but I still think Ike Boettger has a shot and his versatility might give him a squeak of making it. 

 

EDIT: Just thinking about things a little on the back of this I think the basic split is:

 

2 QBs

1 FB

3 RBs

6 WRs

3 TEs

9 OLs

 

8 DL

6 LB

10 DBs

 

3 STs

 

That gets you to 51 spots. There are then two remaining spots which come down, in my mind to a battle between: 4th RB, 7th WR, 4th TE, 9th DL, 11th DB....

 

When I translate that into players I think what we are really talking about is Yeldon, Perry, Williams, Sweeney, D. Johnson, Pitts as being the guys in play for those final couple of spots. 

 

 

Edited by GunnerBill
  • Like (+1) 2

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
2 hours ago, Boca BIlls said:

I am getting sick and tired of seeing DeMarco on these lists...

Coaching staff seems to really like him as they value high character guys.  Is useful if Daboll's game plan calls for power running depending on the matchup.  Probably has a leg up on any of the RB's or TE's that might replace him in Daboll's offense on special teams. The Bills are probably more likely they keep him than not at this point.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
2 hours ago, GunnerBill said:

 

That gets you to 51 spots. There are then two remaining spots which come down, in my mind to a battle between: 4th RB, 7th WR, 4th TE, 9th DL, 11th DB....

 

When I translate that into players I think what we are really talking about is Yeldon, Perry, Williams, Sweeney, D. Johnson, Pitts as being the guys in play for those final couple of spots. 

 

 

 

My choices for those last two spots would be Yeldon and Williams today. Those are two guys who may really help Allen in his second year.

Now, if we can cut DeMarco too, then we get to keep Sweeney on the roster. Again, giving Allen more weapons.

We just don't know which guys will develop chemistry with Josh yet.

Use Smith as a TE/H back, if you need that extra blocker in the running game. We used him that way in his last stint in Buffalo.

 

I love some of the player battles on the defensive side of the ball, but they're obviously ahead of the O in Year Three. That's why I'm leaning towards using those last few slots on offense. Now, if you ask me, I'd cut one more guy in the defensive backfield (where we're the most talented, IMO) and add one more offensive prospect. Maybe it's another O line guy, or a pass catcher, but I want to maximize the in-season competitions on offense, where possible.

Go Bills!

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
41 minutes ago, Doc Brown said:

Coaching staff seems to really like him as they value high character guys.  Is useful if Daboll's game plan calls for power running depending on the matchup.  Probably has a leg up on any of the RB's or TE's that might replace him in Daboll's offense on special teams. The Bills are probably more likely they keep him than not at this point.

 

Core STer too. Played on all 4 units. 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
18 hours ago, YoloinOhio said:

He apparently looked pretty smooth in OTAs. I’ve seen some analysts say Croom has an advantage because he has familiarity with Allen, but we will see

Croom’s advantage is Kelly Pegula 

  • Haha (+1) 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
2 minutes ago, ToddAllan said:

 

My choices for those last two spots would be Yeldon and Williams today. Those are two guys who may really help Allen in his second year.

Now, if we can cut DeMarco too, then we get to keep Sweeney on the roster. Again, giving Allen more weapons.

We just don't know which guys will develop chemistry with Josh yet.

Use Smith as a TE/H back, if you need that extra blocker in the running game. We used him that way in his last stint in Buffalo.

 

I love some of the player battles on the defensive side of the ball, but they're obviously ahead of the O in Year Three. That's why I'm leaning towards using those last few slots on offense. Now, if you ask me, I'd cut one more guy in the defensive backfield (where we're the most talented, IMO) and add one more offensive prospect. Maybe it's another O line guy, or a pass catcher, but I want to maximize the in-season competitions on offense, where possible.

Go Bills!

 

Mine would be Sweeney so long as he shows something in camp and pre-season and then I'd be between Williams and Johnson I think. 

 

Side note the Williams fetish seems to have become a fetish for Johnsons......... which is phrase I've heard somewhere else. 

 

 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
52 minutes ago, Doc Brown said:

Coaching staff seems to really like him as they value high character guys.  Is useful if Daboll's game plan calls for power running depending on the matchup.  Probably has a leg up on any of the RB's or TE's that might replace him in Daboll's offense on special teams. The Bills are probably more likely they keep him than not at this point.

He hasn't done anything in games...

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
20 hours ago, teef said:

anyone notice tommy  sweeney on that list?  i sure did.

Also notice lil Pegs boo is projected to the unemployment line 

  • Haha (+1) 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
Posted (edited)
1 hour ago, Boca BIlls said:

He hasn't done anything in games...

 

He has been decent on teams. He has not made a great impact on offense. 

Edited by GunnerBill

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
5 minutes ago, GunnerBill said:

 

He has been decent on teams. He has not made a great impact on offense. 

I second that emotion 😎

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
5 minutes ago, GunnerBill said:

 

He has been decent on teams. He has not made a great impact on offense. 

Which is why he can go... This team doesn't need guys like him anymore. They have a foundation already.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
2 minutes ago, Boca BIlls said:

Which is why he can go... This team doesn't need guys like him anymore. They have a foundation already.

 

I'm not sure I agree. I think they still need core special teamers. We lost games on teams last year. Giving away one of the few solid teams players we have doesn't strike me as a particularly wise way to start fixing that problem. 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
2 minutes ago, GunnerBill said:

 

I'm not sure I agree. I think they still need core special teamers. We lost games on teams last year. Giving away one of the few solid teams players we have doesn't strike me as a particularly wise way to start fixing that problem. 

He isn't solid... He can be replaced and no one would notice he was gone... Unless the guy who replaced him catches more then 1 ball and runs more then 3-4 times in a season.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Join the conversation

You can post now and register later. If you have an account, sign in now to post with your account.

Guest
Reply to this topic...

×   Pasted as rich text.   Paste as plain text instead

  Only 75 emoji are allowed.

×   Your link has been automatically embedded.   Display as a link instead

×   Your previous content has been restored.   Clear editor

×   You cannot paste images directly. Upload or insert images from URL.

Loading...

×
×
  • Create New...