Joe B’s roster of 53 prediction, one month from TC

11 minutes ago, teef said:

I’m beating that drum more for the fun of it, but Sweeney being in this team come this fall wouldn’t shock me at all. 

It's really a shame his first name isn't Todd.

• Like (+1) 1

related - WR Cam Phillips could look different this year. Might have a chance. (Sub required)

Those who know Phillips know why the Bills have held onto him this long. He’s one of the smartest players on the team and that’s hardly an exaggeration. As a rookie during training camp last year, Phillips was often telling veterans their assignments. During the season, he was practicing at multiple receiver positions, having mastered the playbook from different spots on the field.

“He’s flexible, understands multiple spots and understands the grand scheme of things,” Bills offensive coordinator Brian Daboll said. “As a receiver, that’s not always the case. He can play really any of the five spots of eligible receivers in terms of understanding what to do.

“Being smart is a quality we place a high premium on. How all that works out, we’ll find out. But being smart and being tough, and I think he’s both of those, those are two good qualities to have.”

That part of the game has always come naturally to Phillips. He started reading at age three and has always excelled in the classroom. Mark McCain, who trained Phillips in Maryland, said the receiver has a “matrix type memory.”

“I can pick up a playbook and just absorb it,” Phillips said.” Anything you have a passion for, you have to find your advantage in competition. I think I used that to my advantage, having good awareness and being smart. That’s something that stuck with me through high school, college and now with the Bills. Being able to learn things quickly and pay attention to the details. That might make up for some of the other stuff. I may not be the fastest straight line, but I know where I’m going and I can get there efficiently, so it helps me play faster. Those are just the things I take pride in, being a true professional. That’s the greatest compliment you can give someone is that they are a true professional.”

That’s why a receiver with average measurables is still on the roster. Before the draft, one NFC scout said the question with Phillips is his real upside due to his lack of size and long speed. This offseason, Phillips transformed his body, adding muscle and getting quicker. He was recognized as the Bills’ most improved lifter in the offseason program. It helps when you’re not fighting through pain the way he was after his surgery.

Edited by YoloinOhio
  • Like (+1) 1

13 minutes ago, nucci said:

let's see them perform before we call it depth

Well, sure, of course they need to mesh, but the guys they signed did perform reasonably well with their previous teams so I don't think it's realistic to think they'll suddenly get worse.

Just now, eball said:

Well, sure, of course they need to mesh, but the guys they signed did perform reasonably well with their previous teams so I don't think it's realistic to think they'll suddenly get worse.

agree and they have to be better than last year's mess

1 hour ago, nucci said:

agree and they have to be better than last year's mess

Right. Looking at the cuts you can see mutliple guys who started the majority of last year’s games. 

The new guys will be tested in week 1 against what should be a strong Jets front. 

Edited by CommonCents

3 hours ago, thebandit27 said:

Generally agree with his projections, but I think they'll keep 9 OL and only 10 DBs.

As for positional battles, here's what I see:

- It's Bolden vs. McKenzie for the WR6 spot.  The team clearly wants to keep a gadget-type with short-area quickness, and these two check that box.  I don't really see Duke Williams entering the battle unless he looks incredible during TC.

- Yeldon vs. Perry vs. Murphy for the RB4 spot. I know special teams is important, but I'd rather keep the guy that shows the ability to run the ball when asked.  RBs get banged up in this league; it's a fact of life.

- Lewis vs. K. Johnson vs. Pitts for the CB5 spot.  I'm assuming that the top 4 CBs are set as White/Wallace/T. Johnson/Gaines (I'm counting Neal as one of 5 safeties in this case).  For me, you've got plenty of guys that can play the slot role in T. Johnson, Gaines, Neal, and even Hyde if necessary.  I'm not worrying so much about who can handle the slot; I'm more interested in who's the best cover guy.  Keeping a 6th corner at the expense of a 4th tackle would be a mistake IMO.

K. Johnson very well could end up being the starting CB opposite TreDavious.  The reporters can't stop talking about him making picks.  He is a former 1st rounder.  the only reason he isn't on a big contract is he can't stay healthy.  Wallace is a nice story but K. Johnson is a baller if healthy.

12 minutes ago, Fred Slacks said:

K. Johnson very well could end up being the starting CB opposite TreDavious.  The reporters can't stop talking about him making picks.  He is a former 1st rounder.  the only reason he isn't on a big contract is he can't stay healthy.  Wallace is a nice story but K. Johnson is a baller if healthy.

I wasn't a big KJ guy when he came out of Wake Forest, so I need to see it with my own eyes before I'm convinced.

That said, it's never a bad thing when a former 16th overall pick starts making waves in a new setting.

• Like (+1) 1

2 hours ago, Brian3488 said:

Man where's the Eddie yarbough love. Guy can pass rush

Yes Eddie Yarbrough is forgotten man on that line. Only discussion I have seen is here:

https://buffalowdown.com/2019/06/20/buffalo-bills-4-defensive-players-roster-bubble/2/

He did play with Josh at Wyoming.  Maybe with his size he should be looking at playing TE. 

• Like (+1) 1

If I look at Yeldon, Croom, and Bolden, I'd rank Bolden last of those three as far as what overall strength  they can give the team so would rather see one of the other two kept over him and go with just 5 WR.  Can make the argument to that Croom is kind of a WR type of TE anyway.

Wouldn't be shocked to see Sirles kept instead of Teller as he can play guard and tackle.  If you're only keeping 8 lineman, better be versatile.

Same with keeping Neal as a CB, he could still play safety, so maybe cut one of the safeties then and have Neal as the 4th safety.  Could you get away with J Johnson to the PS?  Would he clear waivers??  May depend on his pre-season level of play

Edited by Ed_Formerly_of_Roch

17 hours ago, thebandit27 said:

Generally agree with his projections, but I think they'll keep 9 OL and only 10 DBs.

As for positional battles, here's what I see:

- It's Bolden vs. McKenzie for the WR6 spot.  The team clearly wants to keep a gadget-type with short-area quickness, and these two check that box.  I don't really see Duke Williams entering the battle unless he looks incredible during TC.

- Yeldon vs. Perry vs. Murphy for the RB4 spot. I know special teams is important, but I'd rather keep the guy that shows the ability to run the ball when asked.  RBs get banged up in this league; it's a fact of life.

- Lewis vs. K. Johnson vs. Pitts for the CB5 spot.  I'm assuming that the top 4 CBs are set as White/Wallace/T. Johnson/Gaines (I'm counting Neal as one of 5 safeties in this case).  For me, you've got plenty of guys that can play the slot role in T. Johnson, Gaines, Neal, and even Hyde if necessary.  I'm not worrying so much about who can handle the slot; I'm more interested in who's the best cover guy.  Keeping a 6th corner at the expense of a 4th tackle would be a mistake IMO.

On the receiver battle my mind is exactly where yours is. They want a short area quickness gadget guy more than they want a size guy. It is about the offense Daboll wants to run and if it comes down to that last spot I imagine him banging on the table for his gadget guy. I said as much to Alphadawg the other week. I must confess I hadn't paid much attention to Bolden Jnr but if Joe B thinks he has played himself in with a shot then I will keep my ear out early in camp. 

I am not absolutely certain they even keep a 4th back. I think all of the three potentially in the battle to be a 4th back are in the "show me something" position. I don't think they will just keep whoever is the least bad of the 3. There is a potential spot there but one of them has to earn it. 

I think you are right - 10 DBs and 9 OL. Where I differ is I think the 10 DBs are all but set and someone is going to have to put something together to break into that. Five corners (White, Wallace, T. Johnson, K. Johnson, Gaines). Four safeties (Hyde, Poyer, J. Johnson, Bush) and the hybrid / big nickel / backup slot (Neal). Barring a camp injury I think that is your 10. 

On the OL I think you can pretty much write in pen the names of Dawkins, Ford and Nsekhe at tackle and the names of Morse, Spain and Long on the interior. Feliciano has the inside track as well which gets you to 7. The leading candidates for spots 8 and 9 are probably Waddle and Teller but I still think Ike Boettger has a shot and his versatility might give him a squeak of making it. 

EDIT: Just thinking about things a little on the back of this I think the basic split is:

2 QBs

1 FB

3 RBs

6 WRs

3 TEs

9 OLs

8 DL

6 LB

10 DBs

3 STs

That gets you to 51 spots. There are then two remaining spots which come down, in my mind to a battle between: 4th RB, 7th WR, 4th TE, 9th DL, 11th DB....

When I translate that into players I think what we are really talking about is Yeldon, Perry, Williams, Sweeney, D. Johnson, Pitts as being the guys in play for those final couple of spots. 

Edited by GunnerBill
  • Like (+1) 2

2 hours ago, Boca BIlls said:

I am getting sick and tired of seeing DeMarco on these lists...

Coaching staff seems to really like him as they value high character guys.  Is useful if Daboll's game plan calls for power running depending on the matchup.  Probably has a leg up on any of the RB's or TE's that might replace him in Daboll's offense on special teams. The Bills are probably more likely they keep him than not at this point.

2 hours ago, GunnerBill said:

That gets you to 51 spots. There are then two remaining spots which come down, in my mind to a battle between: 4th RB, 7th WR, 4th TE, 9th DL, 11th DB....

When I translate that into players I think what we are really talking about is Yeldon, Perry, Williams, Sweeney, D. Johnson, Pitts as being the guys in play for those final couple of spots. 

My choices for those last two spots would be Yeldon and Williams today. Those are two guys who may really help Allen in his second year.

Now, if we can cut DeMarco too, then we get to keep Sweeney on the roster. Again, giving Allen more weapons.

We just don't know which guys will develop chemistry with Josh yet.

Use Smith as a TE/H back, if you need that extra blocker in the running game. We used him that way in his last stint in Buffalo.

I love some of the player battles on the defensive side of the ball, but they're obviously ahead of the O in Year Three. That's why I'm leaning towards using those last few slots on offense. Now, if you ask me, I'd cut one more guy in the defensive backfield (where we're the most talented, IMO) and add one more offensive prospect. Maybe it's another O line guy, or a pass catcher, but I want to maximize the in-season competitions on offense, where possible.

Go Bills!