Joe B’s roster of 53 prediction, one month from TC

(WKBW) — In exactly one month the Buffalo Bills will begin their first training camp practice on the campus of St. John Fisher College. It's the beginning of the preparation for the 2019 season -- a campaign that many believe needs to show steps in the right direction of the rebuild.

The Bills went through with 12 spring practices -- five of which were available to the media, but had to deal with some injuries along the way. How might things have shifted since spring wrapped up?

My latest look at how the Bills roster could shape up this summer, with a slightly-early-but-not-egregiously-early 53-man projection:

• Thank you (+1) 2

Generally agree with his projections, but I think they'll keep 9 OL and only 10 DBs.

As for positional battles, here's what I see:

- It's Bolden vs. McKenzie for the WR6 spot.  The team clearly wants to keep a gadget-type with short-area quickness, and these two check that box.  I don't really see Duke Williams entering the battle unless he looks incredible during TC.

- Yeldon vs. Perry vs. Murphy for the RB4 spot. I know special teams is important, but I'd rather keep the guy that shows the ability to run the ball when asked.  RBs get banged up in this league; it's a fact of life.

- Lewis vs. K. Johnson vs. Pitts for the CB5 spot.  I'm assuming that the top 4 CBs are set as White/Wallace/T. Johnson/Gaines (I'm counting Neal as one of 5 safeties in this case).  For me, you've got plenty of guys that can play the slot role in T. Johnson, Gaines, Neal, and even Hyde if necessary.  I'm not worrying so much about who can handle the slot; I'm more interested in who's the best cover guy.  Keeping a 6th corner at the expense of a 4th tackle would be a mistake IMO.

• Like (+1) 2

8 minutes ago, No Place To Hyde said:

Joe is going to anger a LOT of the Twitter stalkers by saying Waddle is on the roster bubble and a projected cut.

It may be between him and Nsekhe for swing tackle if Dawkins is LT and Ford wins the RT spot. (Assuming no injuries). So between those two I think the odds are better on Nsekhe. I wouldn’t mind seeing Ford start out at RG

• Like (+1) 3

I agree with his thoughts for the most part.  I may keep an additional lineman instead of the extra DB, but I think this is as good a projection as any out there right now.  Also, DiMarco is not a must-keep for me either, so I may look to keep someone different there.

The biggest thing I take away from here is that for the first time in YEARS......we are going to have to cut some decent players.  While we still have some positions that we can strengthen for sure, the depth on this team is better than I can remember in a very long time.  It's nice to actually have a couple of tough decisions to make for a change.  So ready for this season.

Edited by sven233
  • Like (+1) 1

I'm intrigued by Daryl Johnson at DE.  If he can't beat out Love to make the roster I feel like he's a prime PS candidate.  Raw but great size and measurables for the position, if I recall.

3 minutes ago, Misterbluesky said:

Marcus Murphy wouldn't last a full day on the open market.

If memory serves, he couldn't last a full game either.

Edited by eball
  • Haha (+1) 2

23 minutes ago, teef said:

anyone notice tommy  sweeney on that list?  i sure did.

He apparently looked pretty smooth in OTAs. I’ve seen some analysts say Croom has an advantage because he has familiarity with Allen, but we will see

Edited by YoloinOhio

55 minutes ago, thebandit27 said:

- It's Bolden vs. McKenzie for the WR6 spot.  The team clearly wants to keep a gadget-type with short-area quickness, and these two check that box.  I don't really see Duke Williams entering the battle unless he looks incredible during TC.

Williams will show get to show his stuff in preseason games or maybe Panthers scrimmage not training camp.  His skills show up best when he can be physical with pads on and not concerned with hurting a teammate.

• Like (+1) 1

17 minutes ago, YoloinOhio said:

He apparently looked pretty smooth in OTAs. I’ve seen some analysts say Croom has an advantage because he has familiarity with Allen, but we will see

I’m beating that drum more for the fun of it, but Sweeney being in this team come this fall wouldn’t shock me at all. 

19 minutes ago, Limeaid said:

Williams will show get to show his stuff in preseason games or maybe Panthers scrimmage not training camp.  His skills show up best when he can be physical with pads on and not concerned with hurting a teammate.

I have to learn to open my mind on him; he got one of the worst all-time WR grades from me during draft prep.  He and DeRunnya Wilson; the two slowest, clunkiest WRs I've ever graded.  They should move to Finland and open up a tea shop together.

• Haha (+1) 1

16 minutes ago, YoloinOhio said:

Not necessarily disputing, but why do you think this? 

Go back and look at his preseason games (18)...tough runner who can get you those tough 1 or 2 yards.I don't like him as a return guy...maybe his lack of solid play there costs him.

I had him as my third back going into SJF...over Gore.