Kevin Keitzman(voice of Kansas City sports) rips Andy Reid as a coach and parent..

9 hours ago, Gugny said:

I hope you're not really a parent.  God help those kids if you are.

Lighten up, Francis.

Fair or not, there are far more people who believe parental interference will help an addicted child than those who claim it’s not their fault.

He ain’t babysitting my grandkids either.

• Like (+1) 2
  • Thank you (+1) 1

5 minutes ago, Chandler#81 said:

Lighten up, Francis.

Fair or not, there are far more people who believe parental interference will help an addicted child than those who claim it’s not their fault.

He ain’t babysitting my grandkids either.

Call me Francis again ......

• Haha (+1) 1

And this is why some people hate the media.  Gutless pukes who literally accomplish nothing and just crap on actual successful people.  

And for as great as you get paid, I think coaching kinda sucks.  Andy Reid is in the top 5% of the top 5% in his profession and gets ? because he hasn’t won a SB.  I know Reid has accomplished a lot more than that dork.  And the amount of time you spend away from your family doesn’t seem worth IMO.  

1 hour ago, JohnC said:

The commentator/owner was out of bounds bringing up the family issue when making the point about discipline and how the coach handles it on the team. He also demonstrated ignorance on a complicated problem. His lack of empathy and judgment were extraordinary. On the other hand there is another issue here that is also troubling in a different way, an insidious way. The rush to moral judgment calling for termination for a contrarian opinion. (Not suggesting that is your take.) There is a posse mentality in this political correctness environment looking to pounce on every out of the box (often stupid) opinions. 

This political correctness issue has nothing to do with conservative vs liberal conflicts because it contaminates both sides of the aisle. The bigger issue is the stifling of discussions because of an unpopular or minority opinion. In many colleges a person with a minority view, let alone controversial view, is not allowed to speak or is shouted down. If you can't have an open exchange of different ideas in college then where can you have it?   

The commentator said something that was very ignorant. In America it is not a crime to say something stupid. I'm more bothered by the call to fire someone (in this case the owner of the station) because of an outlandish and insensitive opinion. This twitter world of responses of outrage are more destructive than the original stupid statements that are being responded to. 

I want to be on the record as NOT calling for his firing. He said something stupid. It’s an opportunity to learn. 

• Like (+1) 1

The guys isn't exactly wrong about Reid.  But like the guy a few posts up said this society lately tends to just want to write someone off after they make a mistake.  Make a stupid comment...fire them, do something stupid...fire them.  Reid is trying to take risks on guys in hopes they turn their lives around but the problem is many of these guys just can't get their lives together or if they do it's after they get in trouble a couple more times. The guys in the NFL commit crimes about as often as the rest of society.  2000 players give or take in the NFL and a handful get in trouble each year often the same guys.  Someone has to give these guys a chance, some guidance and Reid is giving it a shot and taking the heat for it.  

38 minutes ago, buffaloboyinATL said:

I would assume that lots of coaches are not as good at the family thing.  They often seem to have to sacrifice their personal lives in order to spend the requisite time to succeed professionally.  (in my opinion)

That's true of a lot of professions and a lot of people (who may perceive it as being a professional necessity, whether or not it is).

Some dude named Harry Chapin may have written a song about it that a lot of other artists from Cat Stevens to Guns n Roses may have covered.

• Like (+1) 1

45 minutes ago, buffaloboyinATL said:

I would assume that lots of coaches are not as good at the family thing.  They often seem to have to sacrifice their personal lives in order to spend the requisite time to succeed professionally.  (in my opinion)

Depends on the coach, I'd assume. Bruce Arians has said he doesn't wanna see any of his assistant coaches sleeping in their offices getting prepped for a game. He values family and time away from the work as essential to success. He's said before if he sees any of his assistants hanging around way too late he'll kick them out and tell them to go home. 

Being a head coach surely consumes a ton of time but I'm sure these guys find ways to balance everything. Not all, there are definitely guys who live in their offices during the season but, as with any profession, you need time away to decompress and recharge.

• Like (+1) 1

6 minutes ago, aristocrat said:

The guys isn't exactly wrong about Reid.  But like the guy a few posts up said this society lately tends to just want to write someone off after they make a mistake.  Make a stupid comment...fire them, do something stupid...fire them.  Reid is trying to take risks on guys in hopes they turn their lives around but the problem is many of these guys just can't get their lives together or if they do it's after they get in trouble a couple more times. The guys in the NFL commit crimes about as often as the rest of society.  2000 players give or take in the NFL and a handful get in trouble each year often the same guys.  Someone has to give these guys a chance, some guidance and Reid is giving it a shot and taking the heat for it.  

If a GM/coach want to build a good team quickly, there are a limited number of paths.  One path is to try to amplify your talent by taking risks on guys with black marks and hope that by surrounding them with disciplined good citizen teammates and coaches, they'll "fly right". 

Underneath the Richard Head remarks, the radio dude's point is that Reid's history as a coach does not give him great odds of success, and he's probably not wrong. 

12 hours ago, Captain Murica said:

This is pretty ***** awful

I think people are growing very tired of the hate train. We went through a few decades of over the top challenge's to civility via our media. Most of us have had enough of the negativity and are turning it off. I'd rather be ignorant to the world then be smothered with never ending hate and fear

• Like (+1) 2

12 hours ago, That's No Moon said:

Both of his kids were train wrecks when he was in Philly. The one who passed (Garrett) had been in significant trouble multiple times and did 2 years in prison before he eventually OD'd at Eagles Training Camp IIRC.  His brother, Britt, was arrested on the SAME DAY on drug and weapons charges.  You have an NFL coach with all the resources in the world at his disposal and he had two kids basically running amok in Philadelphia.  It doesn't reflect well whether it's good taste on the radio host to bring it up or not.  

All the discipline in the world won't prevent addiction or stop an addict from doing addict things.  It is utter folly to think otherwise.

• Like (+1) 4
  • Thank you (+1) 1

4 hours ago, eball said:

This is a solid post.  It's the old nature vs. nurture argument -- how much of what and who we become is a result of our environment (parents, etc.) vs. our own genetics?  Sometimes fakked up kids come from "great" environments and sometimes incredible kids come from ***** ones.  There's probably some level of predictability but it's certainly not an exact science.  In any event, what this radio host did is in extremely poor taste.

There are also some environmental things that parents can't control.  Our son had attention deficit problems (probably genetic).  He was also small for his age as a kid.  Put those two together and he was pretty awkward socially.  Because of that, he was picked on in school.  Years after the fact he told us that when he walked home from school ( in a small town) older kids threatened to kill him.  That left a mark on him, and there was nothing we could do about it.  Ironically, he's now 6 foot tall, over 250 lbs and can lift several hundred lbs.    I also believe there is a choice factor in how kids develop.  Some kids choose not to let the fact they've been victimized turn them into long term victims.  They choose to overcome.  People are complex beings.  We need to give them credit for that.

• Like (+1) 1
  • Thank you (+1) 1

1 hour ago, Hapless Bills Fan said:

That's true of a lot of professions and a lot of people (who may perceive it as being a professional necessity, whether or not it is).

Some dude named Harry Chapin may have written a song about it that a lot of other artists from Cat Stevens to Guns n Roses may have covered.

https://www.bing.com/search?q=song+cats+in+the+cradle+harry+chapin&form=EDGHPT&qs=AS&cvid=3ba9795fba5b4a03bd48b329016c3423&refig=058dbc65da694c4ea994d1f69cfe9504&cc=US&setlang=en-US&elv=AQj93OAhDTi*HzTv1paQdngXb*VYtBxJ6mwKaVMhokY8noNwwLWXH0GuMzl2B54gu7A1YSth4K3dBQoFEDzYJp3*0vAAlAdvhnrs7ERQUNij&PC=HCTS

When Jerry Remy’s kid ended up killing his own GF, a lot came out about Remy and his parenting or lack there of. I’m not sure if addiction was involved in that case or not. 

I feel like Reid/Remy going through what they have is a tough enough spot where they probably reeavaluted many of their own fatherly decisions and the rest of us folks probably have our own problems.

12 hours ago, Gugny said:

Crazy that he's the owner.  My money is on him celebrating his ass off right now.  He's loving what he's done because more people know who he is.  There's a special place for people like this.

...looks more like he is "an" owner and not THE owner.....I'd bet on the banker being the majority shareholder......

Union Broadcasting purchased WHB from Kanza for $8 million, considered a high price for an AM radio station. Union Broadcasting was owned by banker Jerry Green, former Royals players Jeff Montgomery and Brian McRae, broadcasters Kevin Kietzman and Duke Frye, and Chad Boeger, owner of the sports station KCTE in Independence, Missouri. Because KCTE could only broadcast in the daytime, Union transferred much of the sports radio format, including sports updates from ESPN Radio and games from the Westwood One radio network, to WHB in October 1999.

In response, Entercom moved WDAF to FM in 2002 to make way for a rival sports station, 610 KCSP. Jason Whitlock, Bill Maas, and Tim Grunhard, who were a part of the first years of WHB programming, were hired by KCSP. Soren Petro joined WHB after KMBZ ended its sports talk programming and moved it to KCSP. He started in January 2004.