Kevin Keitzman(voice of Kansas City sports) rips Andy Reid as a coach and parent..

1 hour ago, Captain Murica said:

Andy’s son died of an overdose. 

Yea that's not something you bring up in this instance.

This guy should get canned. He sounds a little too much like Will Cain anyways for my liking. 

That's just awful.

Edited by Ol Dirty B
  • Like (+1) 5

If the guy wants to criticize Andy Reid, or any other coach, from a coaching football perspective, fine and fair game.  Just leave the family part out of it, no need for that part.  Had he left the part out about family management/discipline, I think there would be a number of folks who would agree with the assessment. 

I could not agree with you more.  The comments were a cheap shot.

• Like (+1) 9
  • Awesome! (+1) 2
  • Thank you (+1) 1

5 minutes ago, Captain Murica said:

Andy’s son died of an overdose. 

Both of his kids were train wrecks when he was in Philly. The one who passed (Garrett) had been in significant trouble multiple times and did 2 years in prison before he eventually OD'd at Eagles Training Camp IIRC.  His brother, Britt, was arrested on the SAME DAY on drug and weapons charges.  You have an NFL coach with all the resources in the world at his disposal and he had two kids basically running amok in Philadelphia.  It doesn't reflect well whether it's good taste on the radio host to bring it up or not.  

• Sad 2

To be honest, there probably is not enough time in the day for a person to be both a great parent and a good head football coach, if you want to sleep, that is.  If you're going to be a head football coach, you should either not have kids, or marry a woman whose passion is staying at home and being a great parent.  That said, Andy Reid has proven he's a solid football coach.  I guess you can't say he's an elite coach until he makes a habit of winning Super Bowls, but he's built some solid football teams over the years.  I did not listen to the KC sports guy's rant, but I assume the parenting part of it relates back to the fact that Reid's kid had a drug problem and lost his life.  Maybe there were things Reid could have done as a father to help his son put his life in a different direction, but good parents can have kids that are messed up. 

My wife and I have four grown kids.  One of them is adopted.  The three bio kids are all solid people.  One is a husband and father who struggles financially because he had a learning disability in school, couldn't make a go of college, and lives in an economically depressed area.  We have two daughters who are both professionals and college grads.  One was the President's Award winner at Roberts Wesleyan (essentially valedictorian) or her graduating class and has a masters degree.   The other is a registered nurse and happily married with a baby on the way.  Our adopted kid is about as messed up as you can imagine despite the fact that we worked harder at parenting with her than we did our own kids.  She was our foster daughter before we adopted her, and had so many problems before she even came into our home that it would have been a miracle had she turned out to be happy and well adjusted.  But there are also parents who did just about everything right with their own kids, and they're still messed up.  Unless the KC sports guy knows the whole story (which I seriously doubt), he should keep his mouth shut.

Edited by TigerJ
  • Like (+1) 7
  • Awesome! (+1) 4
  • Thank you (+1) 2

2 minutes ago, That's No Moon said:

Both of his kids were train wrecks when he was in Philly. The one who passed (Garrett) had been in significant trouble multiple times and did 2 years in prison before he eventually OD'd at Eagles Training Camp IIRC.  His brother, Britt, was arrested on the SAME DAY on drug and weapons charges.  You have an NFL coach with all the resources in the world at his disposal and he had two kids basically running amok in Philadelphia.  It doesn't reflect well whether it's good taste on the radio host to bring it up or not.  

An addict isn't necessarily an addict due to poor parenting.  In fact, it's usually NOT due to poor parenting.  Your comments are nearly as bad as the subject of this thread.  Frankly, your comments are nothing short of offensive and painfully ill-informed.

• Like (+1) 11
  • Awesome! (+1) 2
  • Thank you (+1) 1

1 minute ago, Gugny said:

An addict isn't necessarily an addict due to poor parenting.  In fact, it's usually NOT due to poor parenting.  Your comments are nearly as bad as the subject of this thread.  Frankly, your comments are nothing short of offensive and painfully ill-informed.

Duly noted. Andy Reid can't babysit my kids.

• Like (+1) 2
  • Haha (+1) 4

Some swords are too sharp to be used. You sir, have crossed that line. Leave family baggage out of it. As a talking head, you really have no idea about the Reid family dynamics and what happened or didn’t behind closed doors—sometimes a parent can do everything “right” and things still don’t work out. At some point a kid growing up has to own their own choices in life. Pick on the Chiefs, there’s plenty of material enough there this offseason. 

• Like (+1) 1
  • Awesome! (+1) 2
  • Thank you (+1) 1

Just now, Gugny said:

I hope you're not really a parent.  God help those kids if you are.

When you have multiple coming out of the same environment with serious issues there is something wrong with the environment they came from.  If these weren't an NFL coach's kids and were say two poor kids from Kensington who came out of the same house and did time for hurting people while under the influence and carrying illegal weapons I don't think anyone would blink twice if someone pointed a finger at the home environment as a contributing factor. Make it a rich guy?  No it cant be the home.  They HAD to be great parents. It must by other outside influences that turned these sweet Mormon boys bad.

• Like (+1) 1
  • Thank you (+1) 1

2 minutes ago, NoHuddleKelly12 said:

Some swords are too sharp to be used. You sir, have crossed that line. Leave family baggage out of it. As a talking head, you really have no idea about the Reid family dynamics and what happened or didn’t behind closed doors—sometimes a parent can do everything “right” and things still don’t work out. At some point a kid growing up has to own their own choices in life. Pick on the Chiefs, there’s plenty of material enough there this offseason. 

Ignorance can be dangerous, in so many ways. 

• Like (+1) 2

1 minute ago, That's No Moon said:

When you have multiple coming out of the same environment with serious issues there is something wrong with the environment they came from.  If these weren't an NFL coach's kids and were say two poor kids from Kensington who came out of the same house and did time for hurting people while under the influence and carrying illegal weapons I don't think anyone would blink twice if someone pointed a finger at the home environment as a contributing factor. Make it a rich guy?  No it cant be the home.  They HAD to be great parents. It must by other outside influences that turned these sweet Mormon boys bad.

That's a fair point. However, I do think the guy has no reason to bring it up in regards to KC.

If Andy indeed has been a bad parent, I think he suffers enough with the guilt. I don't think bringing it up like this in a throw away line in a rant about a sport is appropriate at all.

• Like (+1) 2
  • Thank you (+1) 1

10 minutes ago, Gugny said:

I hope you're not really a parent.  God help those kids if you are.

I am and I'm not arrogant enough to think that I'm not making mistakes.  Nor am I arrogant enough to think that these things are not possible.  However, if BOTH of my children end up as drug addicts I think it's fair to say that I've done something wrong as a parent to help them get to that place in life.