Kevin Keitzman(voice of Kansas City sports) rips Andy Reid as a coach and parent..

1 hour ago, NoSaint said:

Its a tough situation. I think that the fact that TWO of his sons spent time in prison and even after one died he didn’t step back and take a break worries me about Andy Reid the man. That they did drugs doesn’t terribly concern me but how he handled it and some whispers that floated around did.

That man, for better and worse, is a football coach and his best and worst qualities are likely to bleed through.

addiction is a tough and extremely complicated thing and I am among the last to look at it as a moral failing by anyone. I think that as a leader of men he has struggled to show that he practices good self care and by proxy often struggles with proper care of others. That may reflect in both his personal and professional life. That’s a very difficult conversation to have off the cuff on the radio though.

Yes, it is a difficult situation, which is why the guy should have thought about it and left the family part alone.  I'm sure Andy Reid is still haunted by the death of his son, as well as both sons spending time in jail.  Does Andy have regrets about the way he raised his sons?  None of us know, only Andy knows.  Agree that his best and worse qualities (as well as self care) spill over to the team he coaches.  Andy Reid seems like a nice guy, but does appear to neglect his family (at least in the past) and certainly neglects himself given by his large size which has serious health consequences.  

Everyone has aspects about their family life that they regret. Bringing up other people's family issues on a sports talk radio show is pretty despicable and hypocritical, especially considering this guy allegedly got caught cheating on his wife. Everyone has dirty laundry.

5 hours ago, Gugny said:

I never want anyone to lose his/her job.  Judging from Twitter and Facebook comments I'm reading, he wasn't well-liked before he made these comments.  As part owner of the station, I'm sure he'll be fine.

If nothing else, I think he needs to personally apologize to Andy Reid and his wife.  Not in public; not via social media.  A sincere, face-to-face apology.  They deserve that.

I disagree.  I believe he should lose everything he has and then serve jail time for the crime of insensitivity.  That will make everything fair and right.

• Haha (+1) 1

3 hours ago, Mr. WEO said:

Hmmm....5 pages in.  Ok, I'll pose the question:

Does anyone here think that Andy Reid really feels he did a good job raising his kids?  And that this radio guy's screed is therefore personally offensive to him?

Dude, you have a hard on to hate on Reid. 

And who are to judge how how he raised his kids? As others in the thread have said, you could do an amazing job as a parent and kids still make mistakes.  Pretty Richard if you to just judge when there is a very serious drug epidemic going on.  But I’d love to see you speak to all the parents that lost a child and blame them for their death.  Classy. 

9 minutes ago, Jauronimo said:

I disagree.  I believe he should lose everything he has and then serve jail time for the crime of insensitivity.  That will make everything fair and right.

I’m a psycho but I think Reid should be allowed to be the crap out of him.  Keyboard gangsters. 

On 6/24/2019 at 11:14 PM, TigerJ said:

To be honest, there probably is not enough time in the day for a person to be both a great parent and a good head football coach, if you want to sleep, that is.  If you're going to be a head football coach, you should either not have kids, or marry a woman whose passion is staying at home and being a great parent.  That said, Andy Reid has proven he's a solid football coach.  I guess you can't say he's an elite coach until he makes a habit of winning Super Bowls, but he's built some solid football teams over the years.  I did not listen to the KC sports guy's rant, but I assume the parenting part of it relates back to the fact that Reid's kid had a drug problem and lost his life.  Maybe there were things Reid could have done as a father to help his son put his life in a different direction, but good parents can have kids that are messed up. 

My wife and I have four grown kids.  One of them is adopted.  The three bio kids are all solid people.  One is a husband and father who struggles financially because he had a learning disability in school, couldn't make a go of college, and lives in an economically depressed area.  We have two daughters who are both professionals and college grads.  One was the President's Award winner at Roberts Wesleyan (essentially valedictorian) or her graduating class and has a masters degree.   The other is a registered nurse and happily married with a baby on the way.  Our adopted kid is about as messed up as you can imagine despite the fact that we worked harder at parenting with her than we did our own kids.  She was our foster daughter before we adopted her, and had so many problems before she even came into our home that it would have been a miracle had she turned out to be happy and well adjusted.  But there are also parents who did just about everything right with their own kids, and they're still messed up.  Unless the KC sports guy knows the whole story (which I seriously doubt), he should keep his mouth shut.

When I lived in the Cleveland area, I got to know the Special Teams Coordinator, Chris Tabor, and his family a little bit.  (Our daughters swam together.)  Not the HC, but still.  I’ll tell you this, it seemed like every second he wasn’t working he was with his family.  His wife was a stay at home mom.  I was always impressed with the whole family, how respectful and happy the kids were.  Heck, how happy and nice the whole family seemed to be.  It was nice to see that with someone who had such a demanding job.

As for the media guy, he actually didn’t say much (and he wasn’t wrong), but he shouldn’t have said anything at all.  As a parent, I’m not surprised people would be upset.  It’s a very short clip (<30) if you want to listen.  

On 6/24/2019 at 11:13 PM, That's No Moon said:

Both of his kids were train wrecks when he was in Philly. The one who passed (Garrett) had been in significant trouble multiple times and did 2 years in prison before he eventually OD'd at Eagles Training Camp IIRC.  His brother, Britt, was arrested on the SAME DAY on drug and weapons charges.  You have an NFL coach with all the resources in the world at his disposal and he had two kids basically running amok in Philadelphia.  It doesn't reflect well whether it's good taste on the radio host to bring it up or not.  

I have a sibling who has been a lifelong addict, in and out of prison, abandoned her own son, literally stole our parents life savings, pretty much used, manipulated, and/or hurt everyone she has ever encountered (or who tried to help her), and generally has left one long path of destruction in her wake.

I have never been in trouble, served in the military, retired after a long, successful career in law enforcement, raised three children who are all educated, productive members of society, and continue to be successful as a consultant.

So, does this reflect well, or not reflect well on our parents?

• Like (+1) 3
  • Thank you (+1) 1

20 minutes ago, billsfan1959 said:

I have a sibling who has been a lifelong addict, in and out of prison, abandoned her own son, literally stole our parents life savings, pretty much used, manipulated, and/or hurt everyone she has ever encountered (or who tried to help her), and generally has left one long path of destruction in her wake.

I have never been in trouble, served in the military, retired after a long, successful career in law enforcement, raised three children who are all educated, productive members of society, and continue to be successful as a consultant.

So, does this reflect well, or not reflect well on our parents?

Well, you post on this board so.... 

• Haha (+1) 2

10 hours ago, C.Biscuit97 said:

Dude, you have a hard on to hate on Reid. 

And who are to judge how how he raised his kids? As others in the thread have said, you could do an amazing job as a parent and kids still make mistakes.  Pretty Richard if you to just judge when there is a very serious drug epidemic going on.  But I’d love to see you speak to all the parents that lost a child and blame them for their death.  Classy. 

I’m a psycho but I think Reid should be allowed to be the crap out of him.  Keyboard gangsters. 

I was asking a question.  Pretty simple. Give your response some more thought.

24 minutes ago, Mr. WEO said:

I was asking a question.  Pretty simple. Give your response some more thought.

I don’t dude.  You love to hate on Reid.  Judging his family situation is pretty scummy and I won’t want anyone doing that to me.  Especially when it involves addiction.  

7 minutes ago, C.Biscuit97 said:

I don’t dude.  You love to hate on Reid.  Judging his family situation is pretty scummy and I won’t want anyone doing that to me.  Especially when it involves addiction.  

I really am trying to help you:

"But the very nature of the outrage is the perceived attack on Reid's parenthood, as if it is inherently beyond question.  But is it?  Is it not possible that, given the choices Reid made regarding his career and its relation to his parenting, that he may feel that he did fail as a parent and would not disagree with someone pointing that out?  

I'm not saying it should have been brought by whoever this guy is.  I'm asking if the point can even ever be made or is it forbidden?"  

26 minutes ago, Mr. WEO said:

"But the very nature of the outrage is the perceived attack on Reid's parenthood, as if it is inherently beyond question.  But is it? Is it not possible that, given the choices Reid made regarding his career and its relation to his parenting, that he may feel that he did fail as a parent and would not disagree with someone pointing that out?  

I'm not saying it should have been brought by whoever this guy is.  I'm asking if the point can even ever be made or is it forbidden?"  

Is it proper or decent for a radio person to question the caliber of parenting for someone who lost an addicted son to suicide in conjunction to a football discussion regarding how the coach is willing to bring in players who have a troubled past? The commentator can say whatever he wants but it shouldn't be surprising that there is a blowback to his provocative comments. There is a time and a place to discuss anything. Bringing up his family history on a sports radio talk show was a bad forum to bring up that painful issue. 

The addiction and suicide issue is complex and doesn't always follow a set model. That's what makes the issue of why this act happened so perplexing and challenging. I find the twitter mob that is on the constant prowl for something to be outraged over tiresome and sometimes repellant with their public display of moral indignity . The commentator had the right to say something stupid without the house being burned down. But that doesn't mean what he said and did at the mic was indecent. 

• Like (+1) 1

Sent this to a customer and friend of mine from Kansas City.  Turns out, he’s friends with this guy.  I see him this Saturday and he’s going to explain to me what he was “trying” to say.  Says he’s unlikely to recover from the backlash.  Doesn’t really matter if he owns the station or not

1 hour ago, Mr. WEO said:

"But the very nature of the outrage is the perceived attack on Reid's parenthood, as if it is inherently beyond question.  But is it?  Is it not possible that, given the choices Reid made regarding his career and its relation to his parenting, that he may feel that he did fail as a parent and would not disagree with someone pointing that out?  

It's forbidden.

Next question!

• Haha (+1) 1

2 hours ago, Mr. WEO said:

It’s forbidden.

Think if it as a message board with moderator type persons. I, personally, might feel like someone is a piece of excreted excrement. But, I can’t go around saying “Mr. Weo (for example) is a piece of excreted excrement” as a reply to your posts.

If I did that, those moderator types would swoop in and banish me to the @Gugny place. I don’t like that place so I (try to) perform self moderation.

In the Reid instance the normal course would be for the owner (moderator in my example) to fire the schlep for going outside of what is generally accepted behavior. Since he’s the owner, he skates.  

14 minutes ago, Cripple Creek said:

It’s forbidden.

Think if it as a message board with moderator type persons. I, personally, might feel like someone is a piece of excreted excrement. But, I can’t go around saying “Mr. Weo (for example) is a piece of excreted excrement” as a reply to your posts.

If I did that, those moderator types would swoop in and banish me to the @Gugny place. I don’t like that place so I (try to) perform self moderation.

In the Reid instance the normal course would be for the owner (moderator in my example) to fire the schlep for going outside of what is generally accepted behavior. Since he’s the owner, he skates.  

So you're saying that SDS can call WEO a POS and skate.

You, sir, are a rabble-rouser.

• Like (+1) 1