Kevin Keitzman(voice of Kansas City sports) rips Andy Reid as a coach and parent..

37 minutes ago, Ol Dirty B said:

Yea that's not something you bring up in this instance.

This guy should get canned. He sounds a little top much like Will Cain anyways for my liking. 

That's just awful.

The title is a bit misleading.  Kevin Keitzman actually owns the radio station.  He's the "voice of KC sports" because he appointed himself so as the station owner.

• Thank you (+1) 2

2 minutes ago, That's No Moon said:

When you have multiple coming out of the same environment with serious issues there is something wrong with the environment they came from.  If these weren't an NFL coach's kids and were say two poor kids from Kensington who came out of the same house and did time for hurting people while under the influence and carrying illegal weapons I don't think anyone would blink twice if someone pointed a finger at the home environment as a contributing factor. Make it a rich guy?  No it cant be the home.  They HAD to be great parents. It must by other outside influences that turned these sweet Mormon boys bad.

You're really crossing a lot of offensive lines.  Not sure if you're trying to be funny, or just trying to make a name for yourself on the site as, "that guy who just doesn't care."  You clearly have no idea what you're talking about and you're one of those guys who just reads headlines and memes to form an "educated" opinion, rather than actually take the time to learn an understand.

If you are a parent, which I really hope you're not, I sincerely hope you don't feel the pain Andy Reid and his wife have felt.  And if you do, I sincerely hope you don't come across people like Kevin Kietzman and yourself.

My half of this "conversation" is over.  Peace out.

• Like (+1) 2

41 minutes ago, Augie said:

That is shouting ignorance from the highest mountain! 

I won’t hate him for being stupid, but I have no respect for this strangers opinion. 

I totally see why you and others feel this way but I do think it's a fairly accurate statement , bringing his son and family into it was unnecessary and he could have easily proven his point without bringing them up

• Like (+1) 3

37 minutes ago, TigerJ said:

To be honest, there probably is not enough time in the day for a person to be both a great parent and a good head football coach, if you want to sleep, that is.  If you're going to be a head football coach, you should either not have kids, or marry a woman whose passion is staying at home and being a great parent.  That said, Andy Reid has proven he's a solid football coach.  I guess you can't say he's an elite coach until he makes a habit of winning Super Bowls, but he's built some solid football teams over the years.  I did not listen to the KC sports guy's rant, but I assume the parenting part of it relates back to the fact that Reid's kid had a drug problem and lost his life.  Maybe there were things Reid could have done as a father to help his son put his life in a different direction, but good parents can have kids that are messed up. 

My wife and I have four grown kids.  One of them is adopted.  The three bio kids are all solid people.  One is a husband and father who struggles financially because he had a learning disability in school, couldn't make a go of college, and lives in an economically depressed area.  We have two daughters who are both professionals and college grads.  One was the President's Award winner at Roberts Wesleyan (essentially valedictorian) or her graduating class and has a masters degree.   The other is a registered nurse and happily married with a baby on the way.  Our adopted kid is about as messed up as you can imagine despite the fact that we worked harder at parenting with her than we did our own kids.  She was our foster daughter before we adopted her, and had so many problems before she even came into our home that it would have been a miracle had she turned out to be happy and well adjusted.  But there are also parents who did just about everything right with their own kids, and they're still messed up.  Unless the KC sports guy knows the whole story (which I seriously doubt), he should keep his mouth shut.

This is a great post on so many levels. 

Raising kids is such a crap shoot.  Even if the parents do everything right (and I'm not saying that's true or untrue of Reid), there's all the influence from peers, teammates if they play sports, coaches, other adults in their lives......I read recently some statistics that strongly suggest prescribed opiods after wisdom tooth extraction may be a gateway to opiod addiction for many teens.   Prescribed medicine you fill because you don't want to see your kid in pain!

A friend of mine adopted two kids from China.  Both faced racism from the community.  "*****" written in ketsup in their driveway, slurs at school, that kind of thing.  The elder, a girl, has some type of autism spectrum disorder, but shrugged it off, completed college and an advanced degree, and is married now with 2 kids.  The younger, a boy, really struggled.  Got in with some partying friends in HS, dropped out, got well-paying jobs and spent money he earned (and some of his parents money he hadn't earned) on cars.  Racked up DWIs, other legal trouble.  Friend said "my wife needs a back bone transplant, that's part of the problem".  I think kid's straightened out now but it was a hard ride.  Both kids raised by the same Christian parents with a strong marriage and taught the same strong family values.

It's scary.  Parenting is scary.  And it's not just one parent, that's part of what makes it so.

• Like (+1) 3
  • Awesome! (+1) 1

33 minutes ago, That's No Moon said:

Both of his kids were train wrecks when he was in Philly. The one who passed (Garrett) had been in significant trouble multiple times and did 2 years in prison before he eventually OD'd at Eagles Training Camp IIRC.  His brother, Britt, was arrested on the SAME DAY on drug and weapons charges.  You have an NFL coach with all the resources in the world at his disposal and he had two kids basically running amok in Philadelphia.  It doesn't reflect well whether it's good taste on the radio host to bring it up or not.  

Addiction doesn't discriminate, it touches rich,poor, black , white , male , female etc. 

They probably had more funds at their disposal than most kids and dad is working 70+ hour weeks majority of the year. It happens

• Like (+1) 1
  • Thank you (+1) 1

1 minute ago, JerseyBills said:

I totally see why you and others feel this way but I do think it's a fairly accurate statement , bringing his son and family into it was unnecessary and he could have easily proven his point without bringing them up

That’s a confusing response. If you think bringing family in is just “unnecessary”, but it’s a “fairly accurate statement”, we either see things differently, or you are worthy of a DCTom response.

I could go off on this to a degree that nobody wants, but I’ll just say you don’t know enough to be commenting on this topic.  Period. 

• Like (+1) 2

2 minutes ago, Hapless Bills Fan said:

Maybe the station owner will see to it - NOT.

Crazy that he's the owner.  My money is on him celebrating his ass off right now.  He's loving what he's done because more people know who he is.  There's a special place for people like this.

19 minutes ago, That's No Moon said:

When you have multiple coming out of the same environment with serious issues there is something wrong with the environment they came from.  If these weren't an NFL coach's kids and were say two poor kids from Kensington who came out of the same house and did time for hurting people while under the influence and carrying illegal weapons I don't think anyone would blink twice if someone pointed a finger at the home environment as a contributing factor. Make it a rich guy?  No it cant be the home.  They HAD to be great parents. It must by other outside influences that turned these sweet Mormon boys bad.

Well, it's kind of an interesting point.  Those poor kids from Kensington.  Darn straight to look at the environment.  Likely their parents work long hours to make ends meet.  Not home much, exhausted when they are, if both in the picture.  Spend lots of time with other relatives, friends, other families in the neighborhood.  Yes the environment is likely a factor, but it's way more than home environment.

Andy Reid's kids, same thing.  Is home environment a contributing factor?  Might be, might not be.  But it surely goes far beyond Reid and his family.  And being wealthy doesn't protect the kids from bad influences, I have seen this.

• Like (+1) 1

11 minutes ago, JerseyBills said:

Do you think bringing the family in was inappropriate, or inaccurate? The answer is telling. 

I think everyone is off the handle on this when it’s really not black and white...

I think you can believe that environment and parenting can play a factor in how kids turn out, but that sometimes no matter what parents do, kids can go down some rough paths all on their own. There’s no magic recipe for parenting- sometimes there is blame for the parents, sometimes there isn’t. Unless we’re intimately involved in the Reid family, I doubt any of us know either way. And really, at the end of the day, adult children are responsible for their actions.

That being said- we definitely all should agree that there’s literally no need to mention it like the ####### did in context of sports. 

Edited by whatdrought
  • Like (+1) 1
  • Awesome! (+1) 1

3 minutes ago, Augie said:

Do you think bringing the family in was inappropriate, or inaccurate? The answer is telling. 

I think it was both . I have dealt with opiate addiction in my immediate family , like they say it's cunning, baffling and powerful.  It overpowers love at many times.  It has no reflection on the parent (s) in most cases. 

But I see his ignorance and why he tied the two together and I do agree with him on his general statement , that Andy Reid lacks discipline on the gridiron. He has no right speaking about Andy Reids discipline at home 

• Like (+1) 1

26 minutes ago, Gugny said:

You're really crossing a lot of offensive lines.  Not sure if you're trying to be funny, or just trying to make a name for yourself on the site as, "that guy who just doesn't care."  You clearly have no idea what you're talking about and you're one of those guys who just reads headlines and memes to form an "educated" opinion, rather than actually take the time to learn an understand.

If you are a parent, which I really hope you're not, I sincerely hope you don't feel the pain Andy Reid and his wife have felt.  And if you do, I sincerely hope you don't come across people like Kevin Kietzman and yourself.

My half of this "conversation" is over.  Peace out.

I wasn't seeing a lot of empathy over in Off the Wall when you were commenting on which of the prostitutes you'd be willing to fornicate with to help support their habits. I'm sure those girls all have parents who feel pain every day, but feel free to post their pictures up and comment away.  It's a completely different thing though.

• Like (+1) 2
  • Awesome! (+1) 2

12 minutes ago, Hapless Bills Fan said:

Well, it's kind of an interesting point.  Those poor kids from Kensington.  Darn straight to look at the environment.  Likely their parents work long hours to make ends meet.  Not home much, exhausted when they are, if both in the picture.  Spend lots of time with other relatives, friends, other families in the neighborhood.  Yes the environment is likely a factor, but it's way more than home environment.

So what's the difference when rich Dad is working 70 hour weeks as a football coach and is essentially gone every weekend for at least half the year? My point was that I don't see those things as being exceptionally different except people seem to be willing to treat them as though they are. 

• Like (+1) 2