Bills ranked 19th best fan base

These are the same flawed "stats" people often use to quantify fan-dom.

They heavily favor large markets and teams who are good/bandwagoners

To me, the best gauge of a fan base is to view how the fans are during the lean years.

• Like (+1) 8
  • Awesome! (+1) 1
  • Thank you (+1) 2

19 minutes ago, May Day 10 said:

These are the same flawed "stats" people often use to quantify fan-dom.

They heavily favor large markets and teams who are good/bandwagoners

To me, the best gauge of a fan base is to view how the fans are during the lean years.

Whatever criteria gets us to #1!

Edited by Bangarang
  • Like (+1) 1

They do this every year, and every year it is stupid. By the very fact that a third of the study relies on what they call “fan equity,” which regards how much money fans are willing to spend, immediately puts fans in economically depressed areas, or areas with lower economic indicators (lower wages, property values, local gdp, etc) at a disadvantage. In fact, in a demographic like Tennessee, where people are only willing to spend a fraction of what fans in New York are willing to spend, for example, may be especially deceiving, as the amount Tennesseans are spending as a percentage of their net income might be significantly higher. Does this study adjust for that? I sincerely doubt it. 

Although, I will say, Rams being dead last makes perfect sense. Worst. Fans. Ever. 

• Thank you (+1) 1

33 minutes ago, Doc Brown said:

Cowboys, Patriots, Eagles, Giants and Steelers in the top 5.  Are you sure this isn't an Onion article?

I agree this must be the Onion or maybe it's from Babylon Bee!

Of those fan bases I would rank the Steelers ahead of ours but not any of the rest. 

1 hour ago, End The Drought said:

Isnt this an old study? I remember reading something sbout a study from a guy at Emory University at least a year ago if not longer that ssid the same nonsense...

You want to see the best fan base? Have their team miss the playoffs for 18 years in a row and see how many of those places even have a team let alone a fan base...my guess is not more than 4 other teams.

• Like (+1) 3

1 hour ago, Limeaid said:

The Onion is not much different than Emory. I think the professor "publishes" this every year.  Some colleges require publishing to keep job.

I always hated buying a professor's book in a college class.

Just seems wrong.

• Thank you (+1) 1

1 hour ago, Ol Dirty B said:

I always hated buying a professor's book in a college class.

Just seems wrong.

In college I handed my textbook back to professor with corrections.  I also discussed his terminology and how he could update it with modern terminology (modern in early 1980s).  I was later asked to grade and correct his exam, an exam I needed to take but even if I got a 0 I would have gotten the highest grade in class. When he republished the book he gave me a contributor credit.  He gave me an excellent reference for job interviews and I was told "Dr. Zucker's letter was reason why your resume stood out."

2 hours ago, CincyBillsFan said:

I agree this must be the Onion or maybe it's from Babylon Bee!

Of those fan bases I would rank the Steelers ahead of ours but not any of the rest. 

I grew up around Steelers "fans." A couple years they were around .500 and you couldn't find Steelers gear or fans anywhere. I went to a game in Pittsburgh in the early 2000s and no one in the stadium that I talked to could name 5 players on the team.

6 hours ago, cle23 said:

I grew up around Steelers "fans." A couple years they were around .500 and you couldn't find Steelers gear or fans anywhere. I went to a game in Pittsburgh in the early 2000s and no one in the stadium that I talked to could name 5 players on the team.

Hey, that Cowher is a good coach.  Hes gonna lead us to the World Series of football in 2020.?