Micah Hyde PFF breakdown . Highest rated FS since 2017

So we like PFF now? Because in the other thread, we hated them. 

1 hour ago, ShadyBillsFan said:

My wife loves Micah so much she has 2 different colored jerseys 

and I like him too.   

Be careful. I seen movies like that and they don’t end well for the husband. ?

• Haha (+1) 1

I think it was Bill Belichick that talked about how Hyde and Poyer were so hard to play against because they wait till the very last second to switch to their true alignment in the defense, so the QB never quite knows exactly what coverage it is before the snap. Something like that.

I also remember that play Hyde made where he completely abandoned his assignment to go make an INT. It was a pure instinct play and he wasn't supposed to be anywhere near the ball based on the coverage. He just somehow knew the QB would throw it there. Great to have someone with instincts and coverage ability.

9 minutes ago, MJS said:

I think it was Bill Belichick that talked about how Hyde and Poyer were so hard to play against because they wait till the very last second to switch to their true alignment in the defense, so the QB never quite knows exactly what coverage it is before the snap. Something like that.

I also remember that play Hyde made where he completely abandoned his assignment to go make an INT. It was a pure instinct play and he wasn't supposed to be anywhere near the ball based on the coverage. He just somehow knew the QB would throw it there. Great to have someone with instincts and coverage ability.

It's true. When I saw tis thread title I was going to say "but he doesn't always play as the FS" but when you read the article it does break that down. McDermott has said consistently in this scheme there really is limited difference to the two safety jobs. Poyer and Hyde alternate often. Having two guys who can do that allows you to diagnose so much and it is a big reason why our pass defense is so good. Makes it more difficult for teams to "choose their matchup". 

22 hours ago, MJS said:

And I am a bit confused why PFF gives so many of our players good grades and then claims we have the 29th ranked team.

Because they believe it has more value in parts than as a whole. 

I guess they think of Bills like a used car which has a lot of parts hard to find.

• Like (+1) 1

22 hours ago, GunnerBill said:

Last season it really didn't give many of our players good grades.....

The same guy that did this write up about how good Hyde was did one on the top 5 safety duos in the league recently and Hyde/and poyer didn’t come up. 

For real? He apparently has Poyer rated so low that, when teamed with a guy whom he says is the best safety over the last 2 years, they still aren’t cracking the top 5? That makes slim to no sense. 

Im not all upset about it. But really doesn’t add up. 

Edited by Stank_Nasty
  • Thank you (+1) 1

32 minutes ago, Cripple Creek said:

I love me some Hyde, but, is it saying much when someone states he’s the highest rated since 2017? So, he was the highest rated in 2018?

You should change your username to "So Badol Tier Creek."

• Like (+1) 1
  • Haha (+1) 1

2 hours ago, Stank_Nasty said:

The same guy that did this write up about how good Hyde was did one on the top 5 safety duos in the league recently and Hyde/and poyer didn’t come up. 

For real? He apparently has Poyer rated so low that, when teamed with a guy whom he says is the best safety over the last 2 years, they still aren’t cracking the top 5? That makes slim to no sense. 

Im not all upset about it. But really doesn’t add up. 

They graded Poyer a 68.4 in 2018 after grading him 87.7 in 2017. He didn't play as well in 2018 as in 2017 that is true though I think the PFF grade is a little harsh on him. In 2017 the Bills safety duo graded out top of PFFs safety duo list. The problem when they compile these lists is they only look at the most recent season. 

I don't think PFF is the be all and end all. But it does have uses. 

1 hour ago, Cripple Creek said:

I love me some Hyde, but, is it saying much when someone states he’s the highest rated since 2017? So, he was the highest rated in 2018?

They mean over the 2017 and 2018 seasons combined. 

• Like (+1) 1

On 6/28/2019 at 9:01 AM, GunnerBill said:

Hahaha. Yea.... I think I know why your wife likes him. The Bills have some 'talent' at safety. 

Ha. The Bills definitely have a nice looking tandem back there at safety. Strictly speaking football of course.

• Like (+1) 1

On 6/28/2019 at 7:41 AM, Doc said:

I already knew he was good.  Was a big fan of the signing.  Had no idea about Poyer but he's obviously exceeded everyone's expectations.

If I'm not mistaken , I think Hyde was the first signing once McDermott was announced HC. 

I remember being super intrigued because GB had so many primetime games at that time , I was familiar with and loved Hyde as a player, he always seemed to make clutch plays and be around the football. 

GB had him playing everywhere though , slot and outside cb , as well as S sometimes. McDermott is a genius for identifying Hyde as an elite S. 

9 hours ago, Cripple Creek said:

Then the thread title has nothing to do with their comparisons.

Can you elaborate on this? I'm sincerely confused what you mean. I simply put that PFF did a piece on Hyde and he has been their highest graded FS the last 2 years combined... Not sure what you mean exactly

1 hour ago, JerseyBills said:

If I'm not mistaken , I think Hyde was the first signing once McDermott was announced HC. 

Incorrect:  Tobert was.  Hyde next day.

http://www.billsdaily.com/frontoffice/2017.shtml

NFL Free Agent Players
blueball.gif DT Rickey Hatley - Signed off of practice squad 12/26 
blueball.gif WR Malachi Dupre - Signed off of practice squad 12/26 
blueball.gif RB Marcus Murphy - Signed off of practice squad 12/26 
blueball.gif CB Breon Borders - Signed 12/16 
blueball.gif DE Cap Capi - Signed off of practice squad 12/5 
blueball.gif WR Brandon Reilly - Signed off of practice squad 12/5 
blueball.gif RB Travaris Cadet - Signed 11/4 
blueball.gif LB Deon Lacey - Claimed off of waivers 9/3; Released 10/18; Re-Signed 10/19 
blueball.gif WR Deonte Thompson - Signed 10/17 
blueball.gif S Shamarko Thomas - Signed 10/3 
blueball.gif DT Cedric Thornton - Signed 9/5 
blueball.gif S Colt Anderson - Released 9/4; Re-Signed 9/5 
blueball.gif QB Joe Webb - Signed 9/4 
blueball.gif RB Taiwan Jones - Signed 8/2 
blueball.gif CB Shareece Wright - Signed 5/1 
blueball.gif QB T.J. Yates - Signed 4/10 
blueball.gif LB Eddie Yarbrough - Signed 4/7 
blueball.gif WR Andre Holmes - Signed 3/18 
blueball.gif CB Leonard Johnson - Signed 3/17 
blueball.gif DE Ryan Davis - Signed 3/13 
blueball.gif DB Micah Hyde - Signed 3/9 
blueball.gif S Jordan Poyer - Signed 3/9 
blueball.gif K Steve Hauschka - Signed 3/9 
blueball.gif OL Vlad Ducasse - Signed 3/9 
blueball.gif FB Patrick DiMarco - Signed 3/9 
blueball.gif RB/FB Mike Tolbert - Signed 3/8 

I was very, very happy when Hyde, Poyer and Hauschka were signed.

Eddie too.

• Thank you (+1) 1

On 6/25/2019 at 7:25 AM, BuffaloBill said:

The back end of this defense in 2019 has the potential to be scary good.  If the Bills improve their pass rush the entire D might be be scary good.

They have a top young corner, the best safeties in the league and an improved (on paper) pass rush. I agree