Do you firework?

2 hours ago, ExiledInIllinois said:

Notice the states that permit exploding and aerial fireworks are FOR THE MOST PART "Red States":

The following states permit the sale of all or most types of consumer fireworks to residents: Alabama, Alaska, Arkansas, Georgia, Iowa, Indiana, Kansas, Kentucky, Louisiana, Maine, Michigan, Mississippi, Missouri, Montana, Nebraska, New Hampshire, New Mexico, North Dakota, Ohio, Oklahoma, Pennsylvania, South Carolina, South Dakota, Tennessee, Texas, Utah, Washington, and West Virginia.

What New York sells are non-exploding, non-aerial novelties:

"The following states allow the sale and use of non-aerial and non-explosive fireworks (also called "safe and sane") like novelties, fountains and sparklers, etc.: Arizona, California, Colorado, Connecticut, Delaware, Florida, Idaho, Maryland, Minnesota, New York, New Jersey, North Carolina, Oregon, Rhode Island, Virginia, Wisconsin, and the District of Columbia."

We were up in ‘red state’ California over the weekend.  Ain’t nobody got nuthin on some of the redneck fireworks action up in Plumas County.

• Like (+1) 2

Dad and the Uncle's got us, as kids, lady fingers, sparklers and Black Cat firecrackers, which inevitably one of us kids held on for too long. That hurt, but no real damage. Holding and throwing a lit firecracker could never hurt an eye. ? 

The under the influence adults oversaw the silver salute and M-80 explosives.

Which led to throwing them near unsuspecting others to scare them and blowing up metal pails, various size cans, including garbage cans. Mind you the can exploding and blowing up was done in the street.

.....with kids from the street watching not at safe distances. How no one ever got badly hurt is amazing.

The good old days. (circa 1970)

Edited by I am the egg man

17 hours ago, EmotionallyUnstable said:

Snakes and sparklers are the only ones I like. I’m not trying to go JPP style 

Wildfire threat has squashed all fireworks here including these and even bang-snaps.  

Sadly, personal fireworks are only a distant childhood memory for me.  

Just now, Johnny Hammersticks said:

I just learned that fireworks are illegal in Vermont.  Weird considering that there are at least 3 firework stands within 5 miles of my house ?

Might be similar to NY, where there's a "legal window," around Independence Day.

I haven’t in a while but my neighbors put on a show the last two years that was better than any professional event.

I think a few of them put a few grand each in and go nuts, it’s very impressive. The first year it was close to an hour, consistent and you couldn’t see a lot of the lower ones after 5 mins because of the smoke. The entire neighborhood was blanketed in it. They did it right in the middle of the street I don’t know how the police didn’t shut them down. The second year they spread it out over a couple days 15 mins at a time. 

6 minutes ago, Gugny said:

Might be similar to NY, where there's a "legal window," around Independence Day.

Or Pennsylvania where only out of state customers can buy. Illegal in pa and ny but they have a ton of them on the pa/ny line

edit- pa recently changed their law allowing certain fireworks similar to NY

Edited by Not at the table Karlos
  • Like (+1) 1

36 minutes ago, Gugny said:

To my knowledge only sparklers and snakes (whatever they are) are legal in NYS.  Statewide public service announcements state the same thing.

20 minutes ago, Keukasmallies said:

To my knowledge only sparklers and snakes (whatever they are) are legal in NYS.  Statewide public service announcements state the same thing.

Technically, the legal ones are called "sparkling devices."  But some of them do make noise.  The "big boom" ones are, indeed, still illegal.

The larger, legal, devices are still very dangerous ... more of a fire hazard than a "blow your digits off," hazard.  The bigger ones put on quite a display, albeit no booms.

1 hour ago, Gugny said:

Are they selling aerial and exploding types or "novelties?"

This doesn't include the up in the air and glorious explosions you make on a daily basis here.  From my "go to source" Wiki that @BringBackFergy just simply adores:

"Two states  — Illinois and Vermont  — permits the sale and use of only wire or wood stick sparklers and other novelties.

The following states allow the sale and use of non-aerial and non-explosive fireworks (also called "safe and sane") like novelties, fountains and sparklers, etc.: Arizona, California, Colorado, Connecticut, Delaware, Florida, Idaho, Maryland, Minnesota, New York, New Jersey, North Carolina, Oregon, Rhode Island, Virginia, Wisconsin, and the District of Columbia...

...New York Governor Andrew Cuomo signed into law a bill on November 21, 2014 allowing sparklers, party poppers, cone fountains and other novelty items to be sold, possessed, and used in the state of New York outside of New York City. Local governments must approve the sale and use of fireworks before people can legally use them. Although the use of fireworks is allowed year-round, the sale of fireworks, by registered businesses, is limited to a period of June 1 through July 5 and December 26 through January 2 each year..."

46 minutes ago, GoBills808 said:

Like JPP on a bender fool

"...Three states — Hawaii, Nevada, and Wyoming — allow each county to establish its own regulations..."

I grew up spending summers at Crystal Beach. They would sell anything they had to a 6 year old. I’m lucky to still have 10 digits. My wife? She grew up in SC and loves to blow #@%* up! Our old neighbors had a wood shake roof and we almost........had an issue one time. 

1 hour ago, Gugny said:

Technically, the legal ones are called "sparkling devices."  But some of them do make noise.  The "big boom" ones are, indeed, still illegal.

The larger, legal, devices are still very dangerous ... more of a fire hazard than a "blow your digits off," hazard.  The bigger ones put on quite a display, albeit no booms.

To me.  The term "fireworks" means to fly and have a report (ie: go boom) .  But, I guess that is subjective.  Place on the ground and watch pretty colors, sure "fireworks."  Sparklers that heat up to 1200° Fahrenheit... Sure "fireworks."  But when most people say fireworks are "legal  They mean the flying ones that end in a boom.  Who looks at the ground for fireworks.  Now, no doubt there are probably sellers in these states selling certain devices under the table.  I guess you probably have to ask the right questions so they don't think you're a cop.  Growing up, in UpState New York... We always had a few connections to get the real stuff. People that would make runs to places like Indiana, Ohio, Pennsylvania, etc...

"...The following states permit the sale of ALL or most types of consumer fireworks to residents: Alabama, Alaska, Arkansas, Georgia, Iowa, Indiana, Kansas, Kentucky, Louisiana, Maine, Michigan, Mississippi, Missouri, Montana, Nebraska, New Hampshire, New Mexico, North Dakota, Ohio, Oklahoma, Pennsylvania, South Carolina, South Dakota, Tennessee, Texas, Utah, Washington, and West Virginia..."

Now.  Here is Illinois on Indiana line, they advertise fireworks in Illinois for the Indiana stores.  Billboards every where.  And I think when you walk into store, you have to pay to join the fireworks lobby.

They have a thing for "God" in Indiana.  So on Sunday, I get my hard liquor/booze (like Everclear) @ the gas station in IllInois and then make a run across the border to pick up my guns and fireworks in Indiana.  Then we pack up the family pick-up and head out to the picnic, but not before saying our prayers first @ church.

Edited by ExiledInIllinois
  • Haha (+1) 1

9 minutes ago, ShadyBillsFan said:

I buy fireworks in Virginia yearly AND when I go to the Atlantic they tell me I can't fire the Virginia purchased fireworks off in a  Virginia Campground or on Virginia "public" beaches!! 

I buy booze in Illinois and they tell me I can't walk down an Illinois street with an open container!

WTF gives!  Tyranny!  

• Haha (+1) 1

One of my daughters was in Maryland for a weekend a month ago and she stopped Pennsylvania and got a few for me. My neighborhood tends to get pretty noisy for a couple of hours but it's all done by 10 or 11.

A few years ago I was in a fireworks store in PA and I love the names they give the stuff. They had one huge box of fireworks selling for $1500 with the name " Grounds for Divorce"