Pass rushers primed to breakout

3 minutes ago, NewDayBills said:

I think Shaq Lawson will get 6+ sacks as well, could see him notch as many as 8 if everything goes his way. Many folks say he is leaving town, but I'm not so sure. Would like to see him stay on a team friendly deal. 

If we can get that out of Lawson with Murphy remaining healthy all year, then we will be in some tall cotton. 

• Like (+1) 1

7 minutes ago, K-9 said:

If we can get that out of Lawson with Murphy remaining healthy all year, then we will be in some tall cotton. 

Many fans are disenfranchised that Shaq hasn't turned into a 12 sack per year player and I understand that, but still, if he even develops into a good decent player, why create turnover? I understand why we didn't pickup the option though, but I'm optimistic that a deal can be reached if Shaq puts up 6-8 sacks, he's still a decent player and I feel the same about Murph. LDE solved. Now draft a protege for Jerry Hughes to mentor and we are in some tall cotton indeed, my friend. 

20 hours ago, Alphadawg7 said:

I think the answer to this is not Oliver, but Jerry Hughes.  I think Jerry is going to have his best sack total of his career this year.  I also wont be surprised to see Trent Murphy flirt with double digit sacks himself if he remains healthy.  

I think too much pressure is already being put on Oliver to hit double digit sacks as a rookie by people on this board and in the media.  I think the rookie record for a DT was Suh and he had just 10 and yet seen lots of people thinking he is going to get to 12.  It could happen, but thats just a totally unreasonable expectation or bar to set.  

People need to pump the brakes a bit on Olivers sack totals.  Yes its possible he could, but its already not common for a DT to be in double digits, and its even rarer when a rookie does it.  Heck, the best of our generation, Aaron Donald his rookie year had 9 sacks.  In fact, here are his first 4 seasons:  9, 11, 9, 11 and yet seen a lot of talking about Oliver like he is going to get 12 as a rookie, better than Donald did in any of his first 4 seasons.

My expectation for a very good rookie year from Oliver would be 5 to 7 sacks.  Anything above that would be an excellent bonus.  Double digits is a just a totally unreasonable expectation.  

I’ve been calling on Hughes to have a career season for awhile now.  The man is a one man pass rush.  Now that we have Oliver, and one more season together- I expect jerry to lead league in sacks, and make a run at 20

• Like (+1) 1

2 hours ago, NewDayBills said:

Many fans are disenfranchised that Shaq hasn't turned into a 12 sack per year player and I understand that, but still, if he even develops into a good decent player, why create turnover? I understand why we didn't pickup the option though, but I'm optimistic that a deal can be reached if Shaq puts up 6-8 sacks, he's still a decent player and I feel the same about Murph. LDE solved. Now draft a protege for Jerry Hughes to mentor and we are in some tall cotton indeed, my friend. 

I hear what you’re saying and I hope he does show he’s arrived this season, but if he does arrive in a big way, then I think what he might command as a free agent could be too rich for Beane’s blood. Regardless, it would be a GREAT problem to have. 

1 hour ago, Pete said:

I’ve been calling on Hughes to have a career season for awhile now.  The man is a one man pass rush.  Now that we have Oliver, and one more season together- I expect jerry to lead league in sacks, and make a run at 20

I agree and think he is set up nicely to really have what could be a career year this season.  He has been carrying the Bills pass rush for a while now, but his sack totals haven't reflected his pass rush ability since Rex came to town and ruined the defense.  

I think the defense is set up now where we will see Hughes emerge again into double digits and even set career highs.  That being said, I am thinking 12 is more realistic with him maybe getting to 15 if things go really well.  But 20 is a feat very few accomplish, so I think thats a bit of an unreasonable expectation, although I would be thrilled if he did it.  

4 hours ago, Alphadawg7 said:

We are talking a half a sack here, and that was still 5 seasons ago.  And he’s averaged 5 sacks in the 4 seasons since that season and 5.2 sacks over his 9 year career.  So if he hits 12+ this year, that qualifies as a breakout from a guy averaging 5 in my book.  

...whoa!......wasn't Hughes chided for the lack of sacks and even more so when Bflo signed him to an extension?...or better yet, how 'bout the no stat bust/overpaid Star?...stats are a sliver of the equation if (most will not) consider the expected role of personnel..if the BOTH suck, why are they still here?.....bumblin' stumblin' McBeane or even our...."clueless Owner"......he's convenient.....go figure......

23 hours ago, thebandit27 said:

There's about 3 full pages of Ragland discussion in that thread alone.  Not sure why my post-draft posts (which I can't find) need to be provided to prove that I didn't change my mind when the Bills picked him.

I don't bother with what people say post-draft about a prospect...people tend to let the lens of the when/where a guy is selected color their view of the prospect.  Not me.  If I say a guy is one thing before he's drafted, then I'm not going to reverse course 2 months later because a certain team picked him in a certain round.

Perfect example: I say that I like Robbie Anderson as a 3rd round pick pre-draft, then he goes undrafted and gets signed by one of the worst-run organizations in the game.  I'm standing by my evaluation because I saw what I saw.  Does that mean I'm going to be right? No. It means that I stand by what I saw.

Same goes for Dak Prescott.  I had him as an UDFA because I didn't like his work in the pocket or his throwing mechanics.  He went in the 4th round to a team with Will McClay running their draft board.  McClay is, IMO, the best personnel guy in the NFL.  I don't change my evaluation because I saw what I saw.  Here we are 3 years later, and it turns out I'm dead wrong on Dak.  McClay was right.

Don't be so cynical.  :)  I'm ALWAYS interested in independent draft analysis.  The mainstream stuff bores me to tears.  It's ALWAYS nice to see some takes that no one else has offered.  

Interestingly, and you should be able to find something here, but from that 2016 draft Goff was the only QB that I thought would turn franchise.  I liked Prescott and thought that he might blossom, but definitely had him as the 2nd QB I'd have taken.  I had Wentz for a bust, that didn't happen.  I didn't have much of an opinion on the 2017 Draft as QBs went tho.  Oddly.  

Either way, when discussing some of this, I was entirely on an island in my takes about Spiller and Watkins.  I'm quite content with the results of my own assessments, as limited as they are and typically pertaining to our team, I fully realize that often they're not popular (aka when I don't agree with the picks essentially), but at the end of the day I'd go toe-to-toe with anyone in the business.  

23 hours ago, NewDayBills said:

I think Shaq Lawson will get 6+ sacks as well, could see him notch as many as 8 if everything goes his way. Many folks say he is leaving town, but I'm not so sure. Would like to see him stay on a team friendly deal. 

...if he performs in 2019 (believe he said he had to "step it up"; declining his 5th is a pretty good message), why not?  ......don't see a long line of UFA shoppers with BIG checkbook in hand.....team friendly/serviceable backup type money makes sense, but needs to show up in 2019..........