Pass rushers primed to breakout

http://www.nfl.com/news/story/0ap3000001034348/article/leonard-floyd-among-young-pass-rushers-set-to-break-out-in-19

Willie McGinest has tabbed Ed Oliver as one of his breakout pass rushers

While I don't expect a season of 12+ sacks I do think he will be a force and disrupting QBs lives all season

Quickest path to the QB is straight up the middle

3 minutes ago, Buffalo716 said:

http://www.nfl.com/news/story/0ap3000001034348/article/leonard-floyd-among-young-pass-rushers-set-to-break-out-in-19

Willie McGinest has tabbed Ed Oliver as one of his breakout pass rushers

While I don't expect a season of 12+ sacks I do think he will be a force and disrupting QBs lives all season

Quickest path to the QB is straight up the middle

He's projecting 7 for Oliver which is a good over/under number.

Thought I would add @Inigo Montoya's thread on this: 

Edited by TPS
  • Like (+1) 1

9 minutes ago, TPS said:

He's projecting 7 for Oliver which is a good over/under number.

Thought I would add @Inigo Montoya's thread on this: 

I know he projected 7 and I think thats a fair number

He is a better run stuffer than pass rushers as of now but his acceleration and quickness off the snap should still wreak havoc

QB... best in the NFL, MVP no sweat

LB.... trio are the best this year, maybe ever

pass rush.... better than Bruce and Mean Joe and Reggie on their best days combined

RB... Shady gonna punish every opponent

I can't wait to get this started!

• Haha (+1) 4

1 minute ago, row_33 said:

QB... best in the NFL, MVP no sweat

LB.... trio are the best this year, maybe ever

pass rush.... better than Bruce and Mean Joe and Reggie on their best days combined

RB... Shady gonna punish every opponent

I can't wait to get this started!

Did Canada legalize cocaine?

• Haha (+1) 7

Has anyone else wondered about the possibility of sending a pick to Jacksonville for their Yannick Nsgsjgksdbgkjsfgbkjgfnjk? I feel like with Campbell and now Allen, he's a bit of an odd man out who will be wanting some cash money while they have none. 

54 minutes ago, whatdrought said:

Has anyone else wondered about the possibility of sending a pick to Jacksonville for their Yannick Nsgsjgksdbgkjsfgbkjgfnjk? I feel like with Campbell and now Allen, he's a bit of an odd man out who will be wanting some cash money while they have none. 

Campbell is likely to be a goner after this season as they drafted Taven Bryan to be his replacement; Ngakoue is probably the EDGE guy that they'll try to keep.

1 hour ago, CommonCents said:

Did Canada legalize cocaine?

Nope, but he just ate the most acid I've ever seen anyone eat in my life mannnn. Meanwhile, row_33 in his front seat......

cheech-blind-stoned-weedmemes.jpg

• Haha (+1) 3

I think the answer to this is not Oliver, but Jerry Hughes.  I think Jerry is going to have his best sack total of his career this year.  I also wont be surprised to see Trent Murphy flirt with double digit sacks himself if he remains healthy.  

I think too much pressure is already being put on Oliver to hit double digit sacks as a rookie by people on this board and in the media.  I think the rookie record for a DT was Suh and he had just 10 and yet seen lots of people thinking he is going to get to 12.  It could happen, but thats just a totally unreasonable expectation or bar to set.  

People need to pump the brakes a bit on Olivers sack totals.  Yes its possible he could, but its already not common for a DT to be in double digits, and its even rarer when a rookie does it.  Heck, the best of our generation, Aaron Donald his rookie year had 9 sacks.  In fact, here are his first 4 seasons:  9, 11, 9, 11 and yet seen a lot of talking about Oliver like he is going to get 12 as a rookie, better than Donald did in any of his first 4 seasons.

My expectation for a very good rookie year from Oliver would be 5 to 7 sacks.  Anything above that would be an excellent bonus.  Double digits is a just a totally unreasonable expectation.  

Edited by Alphadawg7
  • Like (+1) 6

Just now, Alphadawg7 said:

I think the answer to this is not Oliver, but Jerry Hughes.  I think Jerry is going to have his best sack total of his career this year.  I also wont be surprised to see Trent Murphy flirt with double digit sacks himself if he remains healthy.  

I think too much pressure is already being put on Oliver to hit double digit sacks as a rookie.  I think the rookie record for a DT was Suh and he had just 10. 

People need to pump the brakes on Oliver.  Can he hit double digits, sure, but its already not common for a DT to be in double digits, and its even rarer when a rookie does it.  Heck, the best of our generation, Aaron Donald his rookie year had 9 sacks.  In fact, here are his first 4 seasons:  9, 11, 9, 11 and yet people are talking about Oliver like he is going to get 12 as a rookie, better than Donald did in any of his first 4 seasons.

My expectation for a very good rookie year from Oliver would be 5 to 8 sacks.  Anything above that would be an excellent bonus.  Double digits is a just a totally unreasonable expectation.  

I don't think anybody expects double-digit sacks out of Oliver

If he gets 6-8 and disrupts alot of plays I think most would be ecstatic

Also the article was about "breakout" sack artist. Jerry doesn't qualify since he has already been a 10 sack guy and is a proven commodity

13 minutes ago, Ridgewaycynic2013 said:

1.) Use the Biore pore strips.

2.) Avoid emotional turmoil.

3.) Although a belief not as widely accepted as once was, avoid greasy foods.

Touching the face or breakout area is the real killer.  That leads to more and more so fast, all that bacteria just spread around.  

• Thank you (+1) 1

6 minutes ago, Buffalo716 said:

I don't think anybody expects double-digit sacks out of Oliver

If he gets 6-8 and disrupts alot of plays I think most would be ecstatic

Also the article was about "breakout" sack artist. Jerry doesn't qualify since he has already been a 10 sack guy and is a proven commodity

There have been many references here on this board since drafting Oliver that he would get 10-12 sacks.  Seen some media hype too.  There was even an over under thread on Olivers sack totals with it set at double digits (12 I think).  

Hughes has only one season with double digits when he got 10 in 2013, that was 5 years ago.  Last 4 years have been 5, 6, 4, and 7 last year.  I think Hughes could hit 12 to 15 sacks this year.  He was all over the QB last year, and with more pressure coming from hopefully Murphy and Oliver, I think Hughes is going to eat a lot more this year.  So I would say he could break out in a big way this season and get to 12 to 15 sacks this year which would be a career high.  

Hughes career average is just 5.1 sacks per season...and if you drop the first 2 years where he wasn't a starter, its still just 6.5 sacks a season.  I would say a guy with those kinds of career numbers hitting 12 to 15 sacks would be a "breakout", especially since his lone 10 sack season was 5 years ago.  

Edited by Alphadawg7

1 minute ago, Alphadawg7 said:

There have been many references here on this board since drafting Oliver that he would get 10-12 sacks.  Seen some media hype too.  There was even an over under thread on Olivers sack totals with it set at double digits (12 I think).  

Hughes has only one season with double digits when he got 10 in 2013, that was 5 years ago.  Last 4 years have been 5, 6, 4, and 7 last year.  I think Hughes could hit 12 to 15 sacks this year.  He was all over the QB last year, and with more pressure coming from hopefully Murphy and Oliver, I think Hughes is going to eat a lot more this year.  So I would say he could break out in a big way this season and get to 12 to 15 sacks this year which would be a career high.  

Hughes career average is just 5.1 sacks per season...and if you drop the first 2 years where he wasn't a starter, its still just 6.5 sacks a season.  I would say a guy with those kinds of career numbers hitting 12 to 15 sacks would be a "breakout", especially since his lone 10 sack season was 5 years ago.  

Jerry hit 10 sacks in 13 and 14

He has been playing with no other pass rushers the last few years, you can't do it all alone

And he was a monster last year. He is absolutely established and he is probably worth a good amount in trade value even at his age

11 minutes ago, Buffalo716 said:

Jerry hit 10 sacks in 13 and 14

He has been playing with no other pass rushers the last few years, you can't do it all alone

And he was a monster last year. He is absolutely established and he is probably worth a good amount in trade value even at his age

Im a big fan of Jerry, don't get me wrong, but he did not have 10 sacks in 2014.  In 9 career seasons, he has one season of 10 sacks and it was in 2013.  In fact he only has more than 7 twice in his 9 year career.  Look for yourself here:  https://www.espn.com/nfl/player/stats/_/id/13245/jerry-hughes

So his last double digit season was 5 years ago, and the last 4 seasons he averaged 5 sacks.  So a 12 to 15 sack season would be a breakout IMO. 

Edited by Alphadawg7

12 minutes ago, Alphadawg7 said:

I went with the over on Oliver's sack total, but it was all in good fun.

I do think that teams may have to pick their poison and both he and Hughes could have big stat-padding days playing Miami if Rosen is behind center.

• Like (+1) 2

4 minutes ago, Alphadawg7 said:

Im a big fan of Jerry, don't get me wrong, but he did not have 10 sacks in 2014.  In 9 career seasons, he has one season of 10 sacks and it was in 2013.  In fact he only has more than 7 twice in his 9 year career.  Look for yourself here:  https://www.espn.com/nfl/player/stats/_/id/13245/jerry-hughes

So his last double digit season was 5 years ago, and the last 4 seasons he averaged 5 sacks.  So a 12 to 15 sack season would be a breakout IMO. 

https://www.pro-football-reference.com/players/H/HughJe99.htm

And pro football reference has him with 10 not 9.5

It doesn't matter, he is an established NFL player going on almost a decade

33 minutes ago, Alphadawg7 said:

Only one I saw had math issues.  It stated 50% chance of 9 and under sacks as well as 50% chance of 9 and over sacks.  

I could see the over if they completely dominate an offense line and if Oliver promises to just two hand touch QB down the OL will allow it so he does not get hurt.