Schedule makers give Bills big advantages vs Jets

28 minutes ago, row_33 said:

nice to see that road games in the NFL are now taken for granted as easypeasy cakewalk wins

Funny.  I don’t recall making that argument at all.

I am not sure that the term "same" will apply to the offensive system...with new horses up front almost across the board, and other new talent as well.  Yes, the coordinator is the same and he will use the same terms, but I am expecting this O will look different with some sort of running game.  I also expect Allen will be more mature and do a better job with his second year with the coordinator .  I was just in Vegas and took the three points and the Bills btw.

Maybe I’m being too dramatic but I think this could be the Bills most import game of the season.  A loss here and I think the best they do is 9 - 7.  A playoff spot is up in the air. 

With a win in week 1, 10 - 6 is achievable and a likely playoff spot. 

• Like (+1) 3

9 hours ago, Putin said:

Buffalo86 haven’t seen you in a while , I know your still upset about  Rex Ryan getting fired but it looks like it was the right move , 

I don't know, it might be too soon to tell.  ?

1 hour ago, ScottLaw said:

Honestly I don't expect a win in week 1. 

You're not even rooting for one.  Because, to you, being right is more important than the Bills being good.

• Haha (+1) 1

21 hours ago, Inigo Montoya said:

So your position is that the continuity of having our players in the same system with the same coaches is, on the whole, a disadvantage when playing against a team that has new coaches and players learning a new offense and defense because they can study our team’s film from last season?

I believe being able to effectively execute your own offense and defense well is far more important to winning a game than having year old film to review and game plan against what you think your opponent might do.  

We’ll just have to agree to disagree on that point.  ?

I don't really disagree with you. Just pointing out that your OP maybe avoids the advantageous "unknown" of a new coaching staff and scheme that the Jets present to the Bills staff leading up to week one. I still value the Bills players having now a second off-season in the same playbook; don't oversimplify what I'm saying to make it some kind of binary opposition to you. Just don't also overlook competing narratives. There's room for complexity.  

• Like (+1) 1

9 hours ago, Gugny said:

You're not even rooting for one.  Because, to you, being right is more important than the Bills being good.

Nah, even I don't believe that.  Scott's a fan, just a disgruntled and skeptical one.

On 6/23/2019 at 11:23 PM, Inigo Montoya said:

I think just as important, and as advantageous, is our other Jets game Week 1 in the Meadowlands.  The fact that we get to play the Jets the first game of the season when they are going to field a new Head Coach, a new Defensive Coordinator, and a new QB/Offensive Coordinator is a huge advantage.  There should be some growing pains those first few games of the season for the Jets as they try to implement new systems on both sides of the ball.  New coaches and new systems in New York versus continuity of coaches and schemes for Buffalo.  How much is that advantage worth?  A field goal, a touchdown?  That should at least negate the typical three point home field advantage most teams enjoy.

I think catching the Jets at home Week 1 when they are trying to get their footing is just as big an advantage for us as playing them Week 17 at New Era.

I really disagree on this. Going into a game completely blind is a huge disadvantage.

How can you possibly be prepared for a team where absolutely everything is new?

There's zero film on how they're going to play and that's textbook disadvantage.

8 hours ago, Rigotz said:

I really disagree on this. Going into a game completely blind is a huge disadvantage.

How can you possibly be prepared for a team where absolutely everything is new?

There's zero film on how they're going to play and that's textbook disadvantage.

Hey Rigotz,

I am going to agree with you and disagree with you on this.

Going into a game with limited film study is a disadvantage. That's a given.  I think you overstate the situation though when you say the Bills will be "completely blind" in Week 1 versus the Jets.  They will be playing Adam Gase's offense which they have faced twice a year for the last three seasons and a Gregg Williams defense that he has been running in the league for well over a decade.  This is also Week 1 of the season, not Week 7.  Every team in the league will have new wrinkles that they will put out there for the season opener lessening the value of film study in Week 1.  Of any game in the seventeen week season, film study is least valuable in Week 1.  I think you over estimate the value of looking at last year's film for a Week 1 game

What is clearly an advantage, and in my opinion far outweighs the disadvantage of not being able to look at last year's film, is that the Bills players will know how to execute their own game plan.  I think if you asked 100 coaches, (including Adam Gase and Gregg Williams) would you rather have your team be able to execute your own game plan well, or be able to film study your opponent, I think 100 of them would choose having their players be able to execute their own game plan.  Your opponent will always adjust their game plan during the game based on what you are doing or introduce new wrinkles that you haven't seen before, but if you can't execute your own game plan and make those adjustments, then your team is dead in the water..

Do you really think that in the first game of the season the Jet's players are going to know exactly where they are supposed to be and what they are supposed to be doing in a completely new offense and defense?  You don't think there will be a learning curve for the Jets?  Why are we optimistic about Edmonds this year?  Because he has a year in the system now and understands it.  He can just react now instead of thinking about what he is supposed to be doing.  On the Jet's side of the line of scrimmage they will all be thinking about what to do because they will all be first year players in the system. 

In short, I think having the Bills in the same system with the same coaches and being able to efficiently execute their offense and defense is an advantage that trumps the Bill's disadvantage of not having last season's film to study.  On the whole, I think the advantage is clearly to the Bills.

• Thank you (+1) 1

On 6/24/2019 at 9:43 PM, ScottLaw said:

Darnold is going to be very good and they added some nice weapons on top of an already solid WR core.

Only weak link is the Jets offensive line. This will be a tough game and it will a good test for a unit that had their fair share of struggled against the run last year.... Honestly I don't expect a win in week 1. 

Don’t take this as a dig; which games on our schedule do you have penciled in for a W, currently? 

• Haha (+1) 1

I mean not trying to be rude but week 17 can very well just give us an advantage of not picking higher in the draft and nothing else.

The Jets game to me is 50/50.  Plus I think Rich Kotite might have been the last coach over there that didn’t win on his 1st game coaching.