Derrius Guice’s Little Cousin Fighting For His Life : UPDATE : Declared Dead

Very very sad. Ridiculously sad. 

And per usual in the wake of these totally preventable absurdity’s there are boatloads of ‘thoughts and prayers’ because it’s your god given right or at lest constitutional right to leave a loaded 38 on top of your dresser for ‘protection’... therefore it must be gods will this 3 year old shot himself in the face. 

Sorry - this makes zero sense to me. 

Edited by Over 29 years of fanhood

9 minutes ago, Over 29 years of fanhood said:

Very very sad. Ridiculously sad. 

And per usual in the wake of these totally preventable absurdity’s there are boatloads of ‘thoughts and prayers’ because it’s your god given right or at lest constitutional right to leave a loaded 38 on top of your dresser for ‘protection’... therefore it must be gods will this 3 year old shot himself in the face. 

Sorry - this makes zero sense to me. 

I wouldn’t want to get into the religious aspect of it but one thing you were leaning towards which I will add to is, if human beings in general weren’t a threat to each other, we wouldn’t need guns let alone gun “laws”...

I never owned a gun in my life... I’ve shot rifles in the army but never owned a gun but I have friends who live in states where it’s legal to carry and I had people I knew who had weapons for protection because of the area they lived in and also the type of lifestyle they chose...

47 minutes ago, Alphadawg7 said:

I 100% agree that there needs to be better gun laws, close all the loop holes, prevent people with mental, criminal, or terrorist watch list implications from purchasing legally etc etc.

HOWEVER:  Those gun laws would not have made a difference in an accident like this.  Stricter laws to purchase do not affect home safety handling of the same fire arms.  As heavy a heart I have for a father who has to live with this grieving, at the end of the day the firearm should not have been in a place where a 3 year old could reach it or access it.  And further more it should have been in a locked gun case or safe, and it also should not have been loaded.  

There is a big difference in gun safety and gun accessibility.  Laws are not going to affect how a person at home stores his weapon, at some points laws become mute and the individual becomes responsible for safely owning said weapon.  

This is a tragic story, and I do not want to condemn the father, this was truly an accident and one that is going to haunt and torment him for his whole life.  But there is a clear lesson here in safety that hopefully makes others realize what they need to do in their homes so another life isn't tragically injured or taken like this.  

Sad story indeed.

Here's a question ?? Could this situation be a product of modern day parenting & the fact that every one is so distracted as a parent in watching youtube, face book & other things, or the use of a iPad or iPhone rather than watching there child as a parent & lazy to that part of parenting ?

Add to that the lack of discipline as parents wanting to be more of a friend than a parent & that's has been a rational that has changed the world as we use to know it .

Any way you look at it though it is a tragedy that could have been & should have been avoided he was a beautiful little boy !! My heart & prayers go out to the family !! 

• Like (+1) 2

57 minutes ago, T master said:

Here's a question ?? Could this situation be a product of modern day parenting & the fact that every one is so distracted as a parent in watching youtube, face book & other things, or the use of a iPad or iPhone rather than watching there child as a parent & lazy to that part of parenting ?

Add to that the lack of discipline as parents wanting to be more of a friend than a parent & that's has been a rational that has changed the world as we use to know it .

Any way you look at it though it is a tragedy that could have been & should have been avoided he was a beautiful little boy !! My heart & prayers go out to the family !! 

Oh yeah, I agree with this too.  I keep saying the more technologically “connected” we become as a society the more disconnected we become from life, responsibilities, relationships, parenting, etc.  

End of the day, this tragedy should never happen, but sadly it does and too often.  Not being present with your responsibilities as a parent in this situation is far too common...rather it be a gun or some other dangerous item found in a home.  

Accidents happen, and that’s part of life.  But accidents from negligence and irresponsibility like this shouldn’t happen.  

• Like (+1) 1

2 hours ago, Alphadawg7 said:

I 100% agree that there needs to be better gun laws, close all the loop holes, prevent people with mental, criminal, or terrorist watch list implications from purchasing legally etc etc.

HOWEVER:  Those gun laws would not have made a difference in an accident like this.  Stricter laws to purchase do not affect home safety handling of the same fire arms.  As heavy a heart I have for a father who has to live with this grieving, at the end of the day the firearm should not have been in a place where a 3 year old could reach it or access it.  And further more it should have been in a locked gun case or safe, and it also should not have been loaded.  

There is a big difference in gun safety and gun accessibility.  Laws are not going to affect how a person at home stores his weapon, at some points laws become mute and the individual becomes responsible for safely owning said weapon.  

This is a tragic story, and I do not want to condemn the father, this was truly an accident and one that is going to haunt and torment him for his whole life.  But there is a clear lesson here in safety that hopefully makes others realize what they need to do in their homes so another life isn't tragically injured or taken like this.  

Sad story indeed.

Completely valid take. I appreciate this take and your point is 100% accurate in my eyes.

• Thank you (+1) 1

24 minutes ago, Mr. WEO said:

Lock up this Dad.  He put that gun in his baby's hands.  Negligence isn't "an accident". 

Very understandable point and one hard to argue against.  This was clearly negligence on the parent without question.  It was an accidental death as a result of negligent storing of a loaded firearm. 

This does bring up an interesting question of how does one define a line here moving forward to what "accidents" are worthy of Jail and what is not in these situations?  For instance, what if the dad and child were outside and the Dads phone rang on the table behind him then in the split second while grabbing the phone the kid chased his ball into the street and was hit by a car?  Wonder if that would be seen as negligence or an accident?  There are countless household items that a kid can get into that could harm or even kill them, and wonder how that can be seen as an "accident" or worthy of jail through "negligence"

Don't get me wrong, this case was clearly and absolutely negligence on the parent, I mean we are talking about a loaded firearm being in reach of a 3 year old, thats clear negligence..  

So not bringing this up to as a debate on this situation, but curious to how this situation will be ruled and how one would define "accident" or something worthy of jail as a result of "negligence" in other cases where it wasn't so clear.

Edited by Alphadawg7
  • Like (+1) 1

1 hour ago, Figster said:

As harsh as this may sound WEO, it would save lives.

1 hour ago, Alphadawg7 said:

Very understandable point and one hard to argue against.  This was clearly negligence on the parent without question.  It was an accidental death as a result of negligent storing of a loaded firearm. 

This does bring up an interesting question of how does one define a line here moving forward to what "accidents" are worthy of Jail and what is not in these situations?  For instance, what if the dad and child were outside and the Dads phone rang on the table behind him then in the split second while grabbing the phone the kid chased his ball into the street and was hit by a car?  Wonder if that would be seen as negligence or an accident?  There are countless household items that a kid can get into that could harm or even kill them, and wonder how that can be seen as an "accident" or worthy of jail through "negligence"

Don't get me wrong, this case was clearly and absolutely negligence on the parent, I mean we are talking about a loaded firearm being in reach of a 3 year old, thats clear negligence..  

So not bringing this up to as a debate on this situation, but curious to how this situation will be ruled and how one would define "accident" or something worthy of jail as a result of "negligence" in other cases where it wasn't so clear.

Here's how:

If his neighbor's 3 year old climbed up and killed himself with this guy's unsecured, loaded gun, no one would argue "this guy has to live the rest of his life knowing his neighbor's kid died by his gun". 

That was easy.

This kid absolutely knew where that gun was because he no doubt saw his dad put it there more than once.  You don't climb up to the top of a piece of furniture just to see what might be atop that particular piece of furniture.

How is this different than parents who leave their kids in roasting hot cars?  They go to jail.

Here:

Child Access Prevention

Guns in homes pose a clear safety risk, particularly to children. When household guns are not stored safely or securely, the risk of death or injury only increases. Child access prevention laws hold gun owners accountable for the safe storage of firearms, imposing liability for failing to take simple yet important measures to prevent guns from falling into young hands.

He has broken Florida law.  Lock him up.

20 minutes ago, Mr. WEO said:

Here's how:

If his neighbor's 3 year old climbed up and killed himself with this guy's unsecured, loaded gun, no one would argue "this guy has to live the rest of his life knowing his neighbor's kid died by his gun". 

That was easy.

This kid absolutely knew where that gun was because he no doubt saw his dad put it there more than once.  You don't climb up to the top of a piece of furniture just to see what might be atop that particular piece of furniture.

How is this different than parents who leave their kids in roasting hot cars?  They go to jail.

Here:

Child Access Prevention

Guns in homes pose a clear safety risk, particularly to children. When household guns are not stored safely or securely, the risk of death or injury only increases. Child access prevention laws hold gun owners accountable for the safe storage of firearms, imposing liability for failing to take simple yet important measures to prevent guns from falling into young hands.

He has broken Florida law.  Lock him up.

I think you missed the part where I said I agree with you and was not asking my question in terms of this case.  I was asking on other like situations, wondering what the defining parts of “accident” and jail worthy “negligence” would be drawn.

1 minute ago, Alphadawg7 said:

I think you missed the part where I said I agree with you and was not asking my question in terms of this case.  I was asking on other like situations, wondering what the defining parts of “accident” and jail worthy “negligence” would be drawn.

I was saying it already has been drawn in many states, Florida being one of them.  It has defined the father's behavior as criminally negligent so no need to wonder.

• Thank you (+1) 1

6 minutes ago, Mr. WEO said:

I was saying it already has been drawn in many states, Florida being one of them.  It has defined the father's behavior as criminally negligent so no need to wonder.

Again, was not talking about this case. 

4 hours ago, T master said:

Lazy and negligent parenting started long before technology came into play.

That's why this post is so 'meh' to me. The typed equivalent to the "get off my lawn" meme.

If you can point to any published statistics that demonstrate the correlation you're describing, that would be nice.

2 hours ago, Alphadawg7 said:

Again, was not talking about this case. 

I understand.  But the answer to your question is the same.  This type of negligence has been codified in 14 states as criminal behavior.  So it would apply to this case or any similar case in those states.