Cam Newton offers dude $1500 to change seats on plane, guy says no lol

The article says it was a Frist Class seat, but it's not. Watching the video, the guy is in the exit row with only the flight attendant seat in front of him, so he has plenty of leg room and doesn't have to get up if one of his row mates wants to get up. 

I wouldn't switch either for anything under $5K. 

• Like (+1) 2

21 minutes ago, Buffalo_Gal said:

I still wouldn't have done it.

My charming son is about the same size as Cam (my son is about 10# lighter), and doesn't have anything like Cam's money. My son flies to Europe a lot, and figures out how to book a seat that fits his frame . Cam can get better help (a better assistant) to get him a first class ticket or book a plane-share (you know, the ones that were advertised every 10 minutes during the AAF games). 

Obviously he should’ve planned differently if it was absolutely vital. It’s not like he freaked out- dude offered a person in a slightly more spacious seat the change in his pocket, which wasn’t a small sum... Once denied he went back to his seat. 

I’m not sure the “back of the bus” and “needs to hire better help” attitude is hitting the mark you expect. In a thread about Cam, you are coming off as the pretentious one ?

• Like (+1) 1

37 minutes ago, NoSaint said:

It looks like he was just asking to move to the front row of the coach section 

You may not get the freebies of first class there, but you do get the space! That front row of “Comfort Class”, as Delta calls it, has a TON of leg space. I don’t blame him for asking, and I don’t blame anyone for turning him down. He should have planned better, but such is life. Who hasn’t wanted a do-over at some point? Move on. 

• Like (+1) 2

1 hour ago, Buffalo_Gal said:

I'd have turned him down too. I book first class for a reason, Cam needs a better assistant to get him out of the back of the bus (and $1500 is unlikely to have covered that first class seat).  

Exactly this. That first class international seat is bare minimum $1000. It’s very plausible that gentleman paid over $1500 for his seat. Cam offered zero incentive. I’ll keep the comfortable seat. 

• Like (+1) 1

33 minutes ago, Augie said:

You may not get the freebies of first class there, but you do get the space! That front row of “Comfort Class”, as Delta calls it, has a TON of leg space. I don’t blame him for asking, and I don’t blame anyone for turning him down. He should have planned better, but such is life. Who hasn’t wanted a do-over at some point? Move on. 

Its always a small celebration when I land in that row :)

• Like (+1) 1

6 minutes ago, NoSaint said:

Its always a small celebration when I land in that row :)

My wife flies almost every week, and she’s almost always there, unless she gets bumped to first class. She got me out of the back of the bus, but she’s never offered me the upgrade when she gets bumped to first class. I’ll have to settle for all the free drinks and food (in that order) in the Skyclub. 

1 hour ago, NoSaint said:

Obviously he should’ve planned differently if it was absolutely vital. It’s not like he freaked out- dude offered a person in a slightly more spacious seat the change in his pocket, which wasn’t a small sum... Once denied he went back to his seat. 

I’m not sure the “back of the bus” and “needs to hire better help” attitude is hitting the mark you expect. In a thread about Cam, you are coming off as the pretentious one

1) Frequent fliers refer to coach seating as "the back of the bus".

2) Cam Newton has an assistant who does the mundane for him, including booking trip tickets.

3) If that makes me pretentious because you do not know about 1 and 2, so be it.

37 minutes ago, billsbackto81 said:

Doesn't all the seating in First Class have significant legroom? Was Cam flying Coach? 

Cam was in coach

17 minutes ago, Buffalo_Gal said:

And we call them the "unwashed masses".

20 minutes ago, Buffalo_Gal said:

2) Cam Newton has an assistant who does the mundane for him, including booking trip tickets.

3) If that makes me pretentious because you do not know about 1 and 2, so be it.

Being the optimist that I am (my wife would laugh if she read that, but she sets the bar high), I view row 32 as being “close to a bathroom”, and unlikely to get blocked by the beverage cart. ?

BTW - the beverage cart and the bathroom are closely related in my mind. 

• Haha (+1) 1

32 minutes ago, Buffalo_Gal said:

I get that cam has an assistant.

I’m also very well seasoned with travel. Heck, that’s probably why it was a bit nails on the chalkboard-y to read. You may as well be talking to EII about your adventures on the canals of Illinois right now ?

Perhaps it’s a regional, or generational or some other thing but from this side it’s reading a bit tone deaf and then assuming I don’t know about either of those things feels like doubling down on it. At its simplest, I’ve just never referred to any of my team as the help, and never will. 

Ill chalk it it up as a misunderstanding or agree to disagree. No biggie. 

Edited by NoSaint
  • Like (+1) 1

1 hour ago, That's No Moon said:

Earth to Cam, you're in international first class. That person probably doesn't need your 1500 bucks.

I’m not even sure it was thaaaat oblivious to give it a shot. And I largely give cam a hard time.

contrary to this thread, it did not appear to actually be first class that he was speaking with. He was trying to move from row 3-4 of coach to the first row of coach so he’d have the wall in front of him instead of another seat.

Not sure what they are swinging on that upgrade that day but I’d venture a lot less than $1500 and if somebody was expensing the ticket they might think twice about putting some crisp bills in their pocket. I’m on the tall side but I’d think twice before turning down (a weeks pay/a free vacation/season tickets/insert appealing alternative of your choice) to give up just the extra knee space. 

If I paid for first class on my own- obviously that’s a thin proposal to just cover my already incurred expenses and maybe a nice meal on top

Edited by NoSaint

All things being equal, if the guy was friendly and nice, and 6'4" and could use the leg room, I'd prob just give him the seat.  That assumes I wasnt flying with family and/or his seat wasn't next to a couple big ole chunkers splitting a tuna sandwich and eating Ice Blue Doritos.  

The $1500 would be sweet though. 

• Like (+1) 3