[Vague Title] Cause for optimism

2 hours ago, oldmanfan said:

I was just looking back through some stuff on NFL.com.  Week 17 Allen was offensive player of the week and Edmunds was defensive rookie of the month for December.  Hope the two young leaders carry that type of performance through this coming season.

Both showed big improvements and were playing very well at the end of the season.

9 minutes ago, nucci said:

Both showed big improvements and were playing very well at the end of the season.

...and now McBeane has done his due diligence in assembling a cadre of offensive talent (yes I know, on paper so far)....many rightfully said Daboll had garbage to work with last year, starting with the offensive line....even if the talent does not grade out as "A", if it is "B+" versus last year's "C-", the onus is on him to now step up IMO....

44 minutes ago, teef said:

If this thing crashes and burns, so be it. We’ve all been here before, and ultimately has no bearing on our lives. 

Exactly. If they stink, throw it on the pile of stink they’ve already created.

• Like (+1) 1

49 minutes ago, teef said:

I’m optimistic. I’m choosing to be optimistic. I think there’s a lot to look forward to, so I’m going to have fun with it. If this thing crashes and burns, so be it. We’ve all been here before, and ultimately has no bearing on our lives. 

The dying need to be right on a message board...it’s insanely sad. 

Teef ftw

• Like (+1) 2

47 minutes ago, SCBills said:

Somewhat true, but this board is pretty knowledgeable and the “call-outs” for those attacking our team, more specifically Allen, usually focus on the guys who clearly never watch us.   It’s fairly evident when they quote blind stats and “completion percentage” as their sole metrics.   

Those writers/analysts deserve to be called out.  

Now, this year, it’s also on Allen, with a better supporting cast, to show them how ill-informed they were. 

True, but too many here also don't get the idea of a columnists job.  As soon as they write something negative, the gloves come off. It's worse than calling their girlfriend ugly.

22 minutes ago, Augie said:

I could be wrong here, but I get the sense the optimists are more willing to admit what may be wrong than the die hard pessimists are willing to admit what looks good. Those who can truly see and face both sides I have a lot of respect for. 

Yes, that is likely the case, though even the pessimism is better than the "I've got to be right" crowd.

It's hard to argue that on paper the training camp roster isn't significantly improved from last year.  A year ago, the team didn't have five offensive linemen worthy of a roster spot, much less be starters.  Although there are plenty of questions with the o-line, finding five capable starters and their backups should not be a problem.  Even the receiver group is a much better than last year.  Whether they perform or not will become readily evident in camp and in preseason games.  I don't believe that they have a long term difference maker like an Andre Reed or Eric Moulds but there should be enough talent to be decent for a couple of years.  Based on this, I'm mildly optimistic for a better season.

Doesn't hurt but the 2015 Bills finished strong too.     After Shady got carted off in Washington the combo of Karlos and MG went off on the ground for the next couple games and then in the finale against a playoff minded Jets team that wasn't going to allow the Bills to run Tyrod and Shady napalmed the then-revered Revis island.............there was reason to be excited about 2016.

Then in 2016 Tyrod and Sammy went off again in the home finale and the Bills set the franchise single game mark for yardage in a game Dan Carpenter cost them.  As Whaley said "7-9" wasn't good enough because that was 11 win talent.     

There is a long list of encouraging finishes to bad seasons that didn't mean anything the next year............strong finishes often don't mean much but hopefully this past one is like the end of the 1989 season when the Bills really unveiled their no-huddle and had that big offensive game in the WC loss to Cleveland.

• Like (+1) 2

3 hours ago, CincyBillsFan said:

I agree there is cause for optimism.  Allen MAY be the guy in a way we haven't seen since Kelly.  Edmunds showed flashes of being a dominant LB at an age when most guys are still in college.  We had a solid draft to bolster a roster that is full of young, up & coming players.  I also believe we significantly improved the team with the free agents we signed.  Ditto with the coaching which was further improved. 

Bills management has done a nice job of manipulating the salary cap getting the franchise out of a very deep hole.   And as a bonus we'll have cap room next year to push even further up the NFL power ladder.

I'm predicting that we make the playoffs with a fair chance to win the division.  My sense is that winning 10 or 11 games this season is not out of the question. 

100% agree!!

51 minutes ago, BADOLBILZ said:

Doesn't hurt but the 2015 Bills finished strong too.     After Shady got carted off in Washington the combo of Karlos and MG went off on the ground for the next couple games and then in the finale against a playoff minded Jets team that wasn't going to allow the Bills to run Tyrod and Shady napalmed the then-revered Revis island.............there was reason to be excited about 2016.

Then in 2016 Tyrod and Sammy went off again in the home finale and the Bills set the franchise single game mark for yardage in a game Dan Carpenter cost them.  As Whaley said "7-9" wasn't good enough because that was 11 win talent.     

There is a long list of encouraging finishes to bad seasons that didn't mean anything the next year............strong finishes often don't mean much but hopefully this past one is like the end of the 1989 season when the Bills really unveiled their no-huddle and had that big offensive game in the WC loss to Cleveland.

Jerk alert.

Edited by Joe in Winslow
  • Like (+1) 1
  • Haha (+1) 1

[This is an automated response]

As a courtesy to the other board members, please use more descriptive topic titles. A better title will help the community find information faster and make your topic more likely to be read. The topic starter can edit the topic title line to make it more appropriate.

Thank you.

• Like (+1) 1

5 hours ago, teef said:

I’m optimistic. I’m choosing to be optimistic. I think there’s a lot to look forward to, so I’m going to have fun with it. If this thing crashes and burns, so be it. We’ve all been here before, and ultimately has no bearing on our lives. 

The dying need to be right on a message board...it’s insanely sad. 

To me, this is the perfect way to look at it. I enjoy the Bills, I don’t live and die with the Bills. Far more important things in life than this form of entertainment.  I have my opinions and feelings on them, but I’m not trying to insist I’m right and anyone who disagrees is wrong. In the end......we’ll see, won’t we? 

• Like (+1) 1
  • Thank you (+1) 1