Why I love the NFL

13 hours ago, Buffalo716 said:

It may be a league of stars but draft position means NOTHING once you get the call

A late round undersized DT like Kyle Williams can outplay a 1rd pick like John Mccargo and go on to a storied career

Overlooked Fred Jackson can eventually get that call because his shear will , determination and talent could not be denied

Over 20% of the league is UDFAs and that shows the parity of the league

The Bills own Robert Foster is on Pace to become a breakout star and his chemistry with allen should be phenomenal for years

And his Bama teammate and our own Bill Levi Wallace also fits that mold

He WALKED ON at Bama and became a starter by his SR season... That is almost unheard of for a skill position player at a school like Bama

Finding the diamonds in the rough consistently can turn around a team fast as you get a good player at a bargain cost and save salary for other positions

As of now I do have faith in this regimes ability to find and coach under the radar players which is a great sign

Few more months ... Go Bills

I can understand Robert Foster going undrafted  , BUT L Wallace ??? I still don’t get it 

• Like (+1) 1

12 hours ago, Happy Gilmore said:

McD does have an eye for DBs; good point since that was our strongest unit last year.  I just hope he was right about Edmunds at MLB.  It could set the defense back a bit if that was the wrong call.

I’m of the group who thinks Edmunds is a better fit for the outside opposite Milano but I also trust McD to know more than us and I’m more than sure that if he sees him as a better fit for the outside, he wouldn’t hesitate to put him there if that time comes...

....guess it's uncanny to me how this club finds success in the 5th round starting with Meatball.......Milano, 2018 picks Neal & Teller, and now the Joseph kid in 2019....hell trade all of our spots for 5th round slots and we won't have to tune in until Saturday....decreases your beer budget by 47% for Draft Weekend.....:thumbsup:

• Like (+1) 1

When a player is a high draft pick, the odds that he will gain success in the NFL are naturally higher than if you are a UDFA, but if you find your way on to a team, by any means, your odds for eventual success are not zero.  The continued success of players like Levi Wallace and Robert Foster prove that.

...NOT a homer...get a SEVERE rash from "drinkin' kool-aid"......and could give a rat's azz about rebuttals from the KNOWN "TBD Negative Nellies"......this McBeane guy seems to leave NO stone unturned when searching for talent.....and...if he finds somebody who may be of interest, he has NO problem showing him the door as fast as he entered it....he's shoppin' 24/7/365 to make this club better.....Whaley was somewhat similar, but he was being directed versus McBeane being THE "director("yes McDermott has input"), a more bonafide in "full charge GM"....entering year 57 (yup, older than dirt) following this club, I conservatively think ('eff irrational exuberance) that we are in the best position today since "the drought" and could even challenge the Polian years....stay tuned...

2 hours ago, GunnerBill said:

Nah he was very inconsistent. All year. Even within games. There is lots of reason for optimism he made a big jump year 1 to year 2 in college and his problems are not making the incredible plays they are making the routine ones. If he can do that his potential remains elite. 

I disagree. He was as good as you can expect for a rookie MLB.

1 hour ago, TigerJ said:

When a player is a high draft pick, the odds that he will gain success in the NFL are naturally higher than if you are a UDFA, but if you find your way on to a team, by any means, your odds for eventual success are not zero.  The continued success of players like Levi Wallace and Robert Foster prove that.

High draft picks have better odds at finding success because , they were drafted high because they showed the ability to produce and they get more opportunities than UDFAs

But once that UDFA sticks they have just as much chance as being good as any other player and at a bargain cost

There are hundreds and hundreds and hundreds of UDFAs with great stories from Kurt Warner to Robey Coleman

3 hours ago, Buffalo716 said:

High draft picks have better odds at finding success because , they were drafted high because they showed the ability to produce and they get more opportunities than UDFAs

But once that UDFA sticks they have just as much chance as being good as any other player and at a bargain cost

There are hundreds and hundreds and hundreds of UDFAs with great stories from Kurt Warner to Robey Coleman

I don't disagree with any of that.  NFL teams pay their scouts to figure out who has the best odds of producing an a professional level.  Unless they're completely incompetent ,(which I don't buy for a second) they will have a handle on players whose combination of physical talent and mental aptitude give them the best odds for success.  As you say, when a prospect is picked high in the draft, he's given every opportunity to prove the scouts right.  However, scouts can't know all the intangibles about a player.  Some players who don't quite measure up in the ways that scouts can observe have an inner drive sometimes that enables them to overcome the shortcomings that everybody thought they had.

• Like (+1) 1

6 hours ago, GunnerBill said:

Nah he was very inconsistent. All year. Even within games. There is lots of reason for optimism he made a big jump year 1 to year 2 in college and his problems are not making the incredible plays they are making the routine ones. If he can do that his potential remains elite. 

Agree. He was NOT good in the Pats game and he was excellent against the Dolphins. Playing well in the finale isn't "steady improvement" even if it feels that way. Very inconsistent. I have several question marks about whether experience will translate into the type of instinct required to excel at MLB. I have zero doubt he'd be an All-Pro OLB. Time will tell with TE.

Edited by LSHMEAB
  • Like (+1) 1

8 hours ago, GunnerBill said:

He was absolutely brutal against New England in week 16, IMO.

He knocked down a pass to start the game as I recall.......a splashy play which he made a number of during the season...........but then he and Star proceeded to be utterly trampled by the Pats.

If you want to find out what you are doing wrong..........play the Patriots........they will find it and show the rest of the league.

I am still not sold that he's the second coming of Brian Urlacher because most of the guys who reach that level are really instinctive and good right away and Edmunds was not............but if he ends up outside or as an edge player I still think he could be tremendous there.

8 hours ago, MJS said:

I disagree. He was as good as you can expect for a rookie MLB.

I think maybe it can be both. 

I’m hopeful. I know this, he can play somewhere and make a difference!