Why I love the NFL

It may be a league of stars but draft position means NOTHING once you get the call

A late round undersized DT like Kyle Williams can outplay a 1rd pick like John Mccargo and go on to a storied career

Overlooked Fred Jackson can eventually get that call because his shear will , determination and talent could not be denied

Over 20% of the league is UDFAs and that shows the parity of the league

The Bills own Robert Foster is on Pace to become a breakout star and his chemistry with allen should be phenomenal for years

And his Bama teammate and our own Bill Levi Wallace also fits that mold

He WALKED ON at Bama and became a starter by his SR season... That is almost unheard of for a skill position player at a school like Bama

Finding the diamonds in the rough consistently can turn around a team fast as you get a good player at a bargain cost and save salary for other positions

As of now I do have faith in this regimes ability to find and coach under the radar players which is a great sign

Few more months ... Go Bills

Edited by Buffalo716
  • Like (+1) 2
  • Awesome! (+1) 2
  • Thank you (+1) 1

21 minutes ago, Buffalo716 said:

It may be a league of stars but draft position means NOTHING once you get the call

A late round undersized DT like Kyle Williams can outplay a 1rd pick like John Mccargo and go on to a storied career

Overlooked Fred Jackson can eventually get that call because his shear will , determination and talent could not be denied

Over 20% of the league is UDFAs and that shows the parity of the league

The Bills own Robert Foster is on Pace to become a breakout star and his chemistry with allen should be phenomenal for years

And his Bama teammate and our own Bill Levi Wallace also fits that mold

He WALKED ON at Bama and became a starter by his SR season... That is almost unheard of for a skill position player at a school like Bama

Finding the diamonds in the rough consistently can turn around a team fast as you get a good player at a bargain cost and save salary for other positions

As of now I do have faith in this regimes ability to find and coach under the radar players which is a great sign

Few more months ... Go Bills

It’s a pretty cool track record in the very recent background. I pray the trend continues. 

10 minutes ago, Augie said:

It’s a pretty cool track record in the very recent background. I pray the trend continues. 

McDermott also had a hand in developing late round pick Josh Norman into an all pro... Norman hasn't been the same without McDermott either

He also helped develop 7th round pick captain munerlyn into a good slot corner

McD can coach up the secondary with the best of them and seems to have a knack for under the radar guys

Edited by Buffalo716
  • Like (+1) 1

22 minutes ago, Buffalo716 said:

McDermott also had a hand in developing late round pick Josh Norman into an all pro... Norman hasn't been the same without McDermott either

He also helped develop 7th round pick captain munerlyn into a good slot corner

McD can coach up the secondary with the best of them and seems to have a knack for under the radar guys

McD does have an eye for DBs; good point since that was our strongest unit last year.  I just hope he was right about Edmunds at MLB.  It could set the defense back a bit if that was the wrong call.

2 minutes ago, Happy Gilmore said:

McD does have an eye for DBs; good point since that was our strongest unit last year.  I just hope he was right about Edmunds at MLB.  It could set the defense back a bit if that was the wrong call.

I hope he’s a fit there, but he’s such a young stud that he’ll be crazy good wherever he ends up. They used him on a lot of pressure up the middle last year, and I like that idea. He’s a monster! And that’s the quickest way to get pressure. 

1 minute ago, Augie said:

I hope he’s a fit there, but he’s such a young stud that he’ll be crazy good wherever he ends up. They used him on a lot of pressure up the middle last year, and I like that idea. He’s a monster! And that’s the quickest way to get pressure. 

I think we're all pulling for Edmunds.  Just very young coming into the NFL (which looked to be too fast for him initially) and needs to add a few pounds of muscle to fill out his frame.  If he doesn't work out at MLB, he should be a great OLB since he seemed to excel at covering slot WRs and TEs.

23 minutes ago, Happy Gilmore said:

Edmunds was pretty good last year, especially in the final few games of the season. I don't think there's any reason to believe he isn't the answer.

• Like (+1) 2

These are all  "Feel Good" stories...However, until you have a franchise QB all this does not matter.   I love the NFL because it is a great challenging game  made of intriguing matchups on every play.    Go Bills

To the point about 20% of the NFL being UDFAs; counting 53 man roster and PS,the league  needs app. 2000 players in a season. Rosters have gotten larger over the years....the draft has shrunk,most recently, from 12 to 7 rounds.So,there is a  need for UDFAs ,purely from a numbers perspective. I dont necessarily view that as a function of parity. 

11 hours ago, MJS said:

Edmunds was pretty good last year, especially in the final few games of the season. I don't think there's any reason to believe he isn't the answer.

Nah he was very inconsistent. All year. Even within games. There is lots of reason for optimism he made a big jump year 1 to year 2 in college and his problems are not making the incredible plays they are making the routine ones. If he can do that his potential remains elite. 

• Like (+1) 2