How much is cole beasly really loving the bills?

14 hours ago, Ronin said:

Well, as they say, you create your own luck/chances.  

Point being, and as you imply, Beasley is and always has been a short-route slot-receiver.  That's not Allen's forte, actually it's his biggest weakness.  

Other aspects of our passing game may be better this season but if I had to lay money it wouldn't be on that aspect of it.  That would be the last area that I would bet on.  On the other hand, if Allen does it, his accuracy and completion% issues will likely be solved.  

Let's just hope that Beasley isn't eating his words this season.  

Be a nice change of pace to see some offensive competence for once.  

Maybe Allen has not had a god slot receiver to help 

15 hours ago, Ronin said:

Well, as they say, you create your own luck/chances.  

Point being, and as you imply, Beasley is and always has been a short-route slot-receiver.  That's not Allen's forte, actually it's his biggest weakness.  

Other aspects of our passing game may be better this season but if I had to lay money it wouldn't be on that aspect of it.  That would be the last area that I would bet on.  On the other hand, if Allen does it, his accuracy and completion% issues will likely be solved.  

Let's just hope that Beasley isn't eating his words this season.  

Be a nice change of pace to see some offensive competence for once.  

Hey, I have a weird question for you. On June 6 you showed up with your original username, High Football IQ:

https://www.twobillsdrive.com/community/profile/29463-high-football-iq/content/?type=forums_topic_post&change_section=1

Then on June 7 you came back to your Taskers Ghost account and changed the  name to Ronin:

https://www.twobillsdrive.com/community/profile/11986-ronin/content/page/4/?type=forums_topic_post

So my question is, why did you do that?

• Thank you (+1) 1

2 hours ago, NoSaint said:

You can compare if you have time and want to. 

Various things like physical measurables, catch rate on well thrown balls, footwork, so on and so forth are apples to apples even if stat lives aren’t  

You and others can compare.  I can’t.  Playing with the GOAT is just a different story and imo, not comparable by any means to playing with Dak Prescott.  Well thrown balls or not.  Brady does things out there that cannot be measured.  

16 hours ago, Ronin said:

Well, unless Allen makes a monster leap in his play, Prescott last season was worlds better than Allen.  

Here's my big concern, Allen's passing strengths don't lie where Beasley typically caught the ball in Dallas, in fact the opposite, those areas were Allen's biggest weakness last year.  

So whether that changes remains to be seen, but talking in the offseason much less the preseason I'm not sure accomplishes much, particularly in Buffalo where we've been offseason and preseason champs for years.  

We'll see how Beasley works out, but they don't need him deep.  As it is, he only caught four deep passes last season and the gains were only 18, 19, 21, 21, and 32.  

While not a tremendous number of plays, Allen showed growth in the short game with McKenzie in the last two games last season. Obviously this doesn't present any kind of discernible pattern just yet, but I imagine Beasley filling the route responsibilities McKenzie did last year (outside of jet sweeps and misdirection motions). There were a few key first downs against the phish, and even Lions and Pats, where Allen hit a 10 yd hook on the outside hash pretty well, as well as a couple crossing routes. 

Fwiw, I agree it's a part of his game that needs growth and refinement, however, I do see Beasley contributing in this aspect as well. While not the largest target, he does have the ability to provide substantial windows as a slot WR, something severely lacking last year as Zay's routes aren't/weren't crisp and was asked to fill more of the WR2 role, and where McKenzie could run more slot routes, his hands and separation weren't quite there. Beasley introduces both, and I expect his highlights to be minimal the first couple of weeks until he and Allen gain rapport - but I can certainly see him as the 3rd down passing option for Allen in the short yd game.

Edited by ctk232
  • Like (+1) 2

2 hours ago, NewEra said:

You and others can compare.  I can’t.  Playing with the GOAT is just a different story and imo, not comparable by any means to playing with Dak Prescott.  Well thrown balls or not.  Brady does things out there that cannot be measured.  

You can watch their routes without ever seeing the qb or ball, frankly. 

Brady is an impact but it’s not impossible to look at the guys 

18 hours ago, Ronin said:

Well, unless Allen makes a monster leap in his play, Prescott last season was worlds better than Allen.  

Here's my big concern, Allen's passing strengths don't lie where Beasley typically caught the ball in Dallas, in fact the opposite, those areas were Allen's biggest weakness last year.  

So whether that changes remains to be seen, but talking in the offseason much less the preseason I'm not sure accomplishes much, particularly in Buffalo where we've been offseason and preseason champs for years.  

We'll see how Beasley works out, but they don't need him deep.  As it is, he only caught four deep passes last season and the gains were only 18, 19, 21, 21, and 32.  

Prescott is at his ceiling 

17 hours ago, Ronin said:

Which aligns with your point above, but where you missed my point was that in essence, had Beasley been on the team last season, if Allen had played the way he did, then Beasley would have had one of his worst seasons. 

Oh no. I didn't miss that point. I would agree that Allen wouldn't have done much with Beasley in 2018. FTR, I'm not completely sold on JA. I've come around quite a bit, but I'm definitely not there. The hope is that with a year under his belt, the game will slow down and he'll become more proficient and anticipatory. I feel like the problem isn't so much inaccuracy as it is anticipation. There's no questioning the kid's work ethic, so there's a chance. He'll never be Brady or Brees in this department, but with his skill set, it's not a requirement. He just needs to become "adequate." His STRENGTH will always be the big play.

• Like (+1) 2

Allen didn't have a slot WR that was where he was supposed to be, when he was needed to be there. Allen threw away a ton of passes due to that fact. Having a player like Cole B, will add to Allen's completion percentage. Prescott had his numbers because WRs were open, and where they were needed to be on time.

1 hour ago, NoSaint said:

You can watch their routes without ever seeing the qb or ball, frankly. 

Brady is an impact but it’s not impossible to look at the guys 

Yeah, I have.  I love watching Beasley run routes.  I think that’s his best attribute   Very good explosion.  Great hands.  Not sure what nots to like about him other than his size.  He does get open 

5 hours ago, K-9 said:

Uh oh. Beasley is in your cross hairs. I look forward to your future trashing of him. 

I like Beasley but I will be very surprised if he turns into an Edelman type producer as most expect.

CB has been around a long time(he's 30) and his numbers don't match name he's built in Dallas or the contract the Bills gave him.

Edelman has basically been a 70 yard per game guy in the slot for the last 5 seasons.........Beasley has had ONE season in his career where he's exceeded his 672 yards and 42 ypg of last season.

And I think he is more sore at the Cowboys for not paying him than anything right now.

He'll get past that........hopefully sooner than later.

Since he's fighting with Cowboys fans on twitter hopefully that means he won't be kissing the turf on Thanksgiving and promptly laying an eggy performance the way McCoy did in Philly in 2015.

16 minutes ago, BADOLBILZ said:

I like Beasley but I will be very surprised if he turns into an Edelman type producer as most expect.

CB has been around a long time(he's 30) and his numbers don't match name he's built in Dallas or the contract the Bills gave him.

Edelman has basically been a 70 yard per game guy in the slot for the last 5 seasons.........Beasley has had ONE season in his career where he's exceeded his 672 yards and 42 ypg of last season.

And I think he is more sore at the Cowboys for not paying him than anything right now.

He'll get past that........hopefully sooner than later.

Since he's fighting with Cowboys fans on twitter hopefully that means he won't be kissing the turf on Thanksgiving and promptly laying an eggy performance the way McCoy did in Philly in 2015.

Let the trashing begin! 

20 hours ago, YattaOkasan said:

Agree the short game is his biggest weakness. But this is one of the reasons I like McBeane. They addressed his biggest weakness with a good player. Is cole gonna have the stats he had in Dallas? Maybe not. Is josh gonna have better stats on the shorter throws? Probably cause Beasley gets more separation than all our previous receivers. It was moves like this that the fan base is getting behind. 

Well, IMO "separtion" wasn't the issue.  We'll see soon enough, eh.  

18 hours ago, BigDingus said:

Only thing is Allen actually had the worst deep ball accuracy percentage too last year, so even that's not technically a strength yet. 

Shhh!

You went straight to the triple-dog-dare after skipping the double-dog-dare.  That's taboo to say that around here.  

?

17 hours ago, billspro said:

Our slot WRs couldn’t get open last year. Beasley is going to be used frequently.

I realize that was the only play like that all season.  

Edited by Ronin

18 hours ago, billspro said:

Our slot WRs couldn’t get open last year. Beasley is going to be used frequently.

BTW, here's 9 plays in the Detroit game whereby primarily slot receivers (whomever they were) were more than open enough, sometimes wide-open, and Allen either didn't see them or was simply ignoring them looking for the homerun ball.  This notion that our receivers, slot or otherwise, could never or rarely get open is utter nonsense.  Also notice, if you watch the entire video, that Allen really isn't  under any particular pressure, certainly nothing that the average NFL QB doesn't face every Sunday.  Likewise, average NFL QBs make most of those throws resulting in completions.

1:00 - Allen has McKenzie wide-open on the right but for whatever inexplicable reason doesn't see him.  OL/blocking was fantastic.  

1:10 - He misses (doesn't see apparently) Foster who's wide open down a seam if he hits him in stride. 

1:26 - He's got Thompson (from the slot) open if he leads him.  

1:57 - He's got the RB open for an easy 5+ on 1-n-10 but doesn't see or hit him.  

3:05 - He's got Croom open on the release 

3:15 - He's got McCloud open on the break on the right and Croom is a good yard-plus ahead of his coverage on the left.  Good QBs make those throws.  

4:15 - Not slot, but he's got Ford wide-open on his break for an easy 5+ on 1-n-10, instead looks downfield incomplete.  Again, you've gotta take what the D gives you, Allen's always looking for a home-run.  

4:30 - Take your choice, right (Clay) or left (Ford), slot receivers open on either side on 2-n-10, either one for an easy 5+ w/ no coverage setting up no worse than a 3rd-n-short.  Instead Allen once again, looking for the homerun, goes deep/incomplete setting up a 3rd-n-long.  

4:49 - Here again, Allen waits and waves off Clay on the right who's wide-open for a decent gain on 1-n-15 or DiMarco on the left for a lesser gain.  Granted, he completed downfield to Foster, but again, instead of taking what the D gives him, Allen waits, that time it worked out, above it did not.  

8 hours ago, NewEra said:

So what do you do when your biggest weakness is such an integral part of the game?  Go get one of the best compliments to that aspect in Beasley.  We did just that.  We aren’t going to abandon that aspect of the game.  We’re going to try and improve on it.  We did just that. Last year we started rubbish in the slot   We started garbage on the OL.  Both of which had a negative effect on Allen’s short game (and overall game). We can only hope that adding an established slot wr and a much improved (on paper) OL will help him this year as much as they were a detriment last year.

Yes, it would be such a nice change of pace to see some offensive competence for once. It’s been more than awhile.  

It' simply not true that no one was ever open underneath or in the flats.  It's an excuse that fans have levied which has become a false narrative giving Allen an out.  Look, I get it, everyone wants Allen to work out, so do I, but reality is reality.  

Look at the video above and tell me with a straight face that none of those receivers were open, it's ridiculous.  

We'll see how much Beasley "being open" in areas where Allen simply didn't look to last year makes the kind of difference being talked about here.  

• Like (+1) 1