How much is cole beasly really loving the bills?

Beasley is a very adept slot guy. You can point and say well he ain’t edelman or welker but the NE system made those guys transcendent slot receivers. They’re very talented, for sure, but the system made those guys household names. Daboll comes from that NE offensive system. Let’s see what Cole can do in it before anyone calls him 2nd rate.

• Like (+1) 7
  • Awesome! (+1) 1

2 hours ago, BigDingus said:

I 100% agree with you. Only thing is Allen actually had the worst deep ball accuracy percentage too last year, so even that's not technically a strength yet. 

Also, you said Beasley only caught four deep passes last season but then listed off 5, just fyi :)

The stats on Allen’s percentages all over the field are very misleading. I’ve watched each of his starts multiple times the last 5 months and see some obvious misses, but the number of times his protection and/or receivers failed him is staggering. I know he’s not a finished product, but relying on stats to tell his story is inadequate. His short yardage touch is absolutely an area of weakness, but that long ball is a stunner.

• Like (+1) 3

39 minutes ago, MiltonWaddams said:

The stats on Allen’s percentages all over the field are very misleading. I’ve watched each of his starts multiple times the last 5 months and see some obvious misses, but the number of times his protection and/or receivers failed him is staggering. I know he’s not a finished product, but relying on stats to tell his story is inadequate. His short yardage touch is absolutely an area of weakness, but that long ball is a stunner.

Yes exactly. To “timing routes” in particular (i.e. those to a slot guy like Beasley), Allen will learn those. He’s definitely smart enough and talented enough to get better at those types of routes. Lots LOTS of successful NFL QBs come out of college not having to had thrown those types of routes.  

• Like (+1) 1

7 hours ago, Ronin said:

Well, unless Allen makes a monster leap in his play, Prescott last season was worlds better than Allen.  

Here's my big concern, Allen's passing strengths don't lie where Beasley typically caught the ball in Dallas, in fact the opposite, those areas were Allen's biggest weakness last year.  

So whether that changes remains to be seen, but talking in the offseason much less the preseason I'm not sure accomplishes much, particularly in Buffalo where we've been offseason and preseason champs for years.  

We'll see how Beasley works out, but they don't need him deep.  As it is, he only caught four deep passes last season and the gains were only 18, 19, 21, 21, and 32.  

I don't want to give excuses..but our OL never gave much of a chance to anyone last year.  If the OL improves then there is a good possibility for Allen to make the short passes at a higher percentage.  If Josh Allen doesn't improve in season two, then he will be done...

• Like (+1) 1

11 hours ago, Ronin said:

Well, unless Allen makes a monster leap in his play, Prescott last season was worlds better than Allen.  

Here's my big concern, Allen's passing strengths don't lie where Beasley typically caught the ball in Dallas, in fact the opposite, those areas were Allen's biggest weakness last year.  

So whether that changes remains to be seen, but talking in the offseason much less the preseason I'm not sure accomplishes much, particularly in Buffalo where we've been offseason and preseason champs for years.  

We'll see how Beasley works out, but they don't need him deep.  As it is, he only caught four deep passes last season and the gains were only 18, 19, 21, 21, and 32.  

Must be nice to have the best offensive line in football and two extra years of experience.  I'd put any amount down on Allen having more yards and TDs than Prescott had in his 2nd year, barring injury of course.

• Like (+1) 3

12 hours ago, Ronin said:

Well, as they say, you create your own luck/chances.  

Point being, and as you imply, Beasley is and always has been a short-route slot-receiver.  That's not Allen's forte, actually it's his biggest weakness.  

Other aspects of our passing game may be better this season but if I had to lay money it wouldn't be on that aspect of it.  That would be the last area that I would bet on.  On the other hand, if Allen does it, his accuracy and completion% issues will likely be solved.  

Let's just hope that Beasley isn't eating his words this season.  

Be a nice change of pace to see some offensive competence for once.  

So what do you do when your biggest weakness is such an integral part of the game?  Go get one of the best compliments to that aspect in Beasley.  We did just that.  We aren’t going to abandon that aspect of the game.  We’re going to try and improve on it.  We did just that. Last year we started rubbish in the slot   We started garbage on the OL.  Both of which had a negative effect on Allen’s short game (and overall game). We can only hope that adding an established slot wr and a much improved (on paper) OL will help him this year as much as they were a detriment last year.

Yes, it would be such a nice change of pace to see some offensive competence for once. It’s been more than awhile.  

• Like (+1) 1
  • Awesome! (+1) 1

Call it being the ultimate homer or too much Josh Kool Aid ... but I think many on this board are going to be surprised by his short passing game stats this year which will directly influence Beasley's production.  Too many positive influences from one year ago:

• Rookie Year is over
  • Full year of coaching and full camp as undisputed starter and reps therein
  • Better OL (on paper)
  • Better WR's (on paper) ..but hopefully won't have a 5 minute video in 2019 of Bills dropped passes
  • Like (+1) 4
  • Thank you (+1) 2

7 hours ago, JoPar_v2 said:

Beasley is a very adept slot guy. You can point and say well he ain’t edelman or welker but the NE system made those guys transcendent slot receivers. They’re very talented, for sure, but the system made those guys household names. Daboll comes from that NE offensive system. Let’s see what Cole can do in it before anyone calls him 2nd rate.

Just saw this tweet from PFF ... Beasley ranked #1 of all receivers in 2018 for separation of 1+ steps on 72% of passes (not including screens) .. so I won't be calling him 2nd rate either

• Like (+1) 5
  • Thank you (+1) 2

10 hours ago, Ronin said:

I hear ya, but based on what I saw last year he had guys open where Beasley will be this year, he simply didn't make anything even approaching efficient use of them.  Once again, this is one of those runaway narrative type of things.  He didn't have WRs that could get open, which was hogwash.  Granted, they weren't Andre Johnson, but still, the issues were more Allen than the receivers which few if any care to admit.  

Which aligns with your point above, but where you missed my point was that in essence, had Beasley been on the team last season, if Allen had played the way he did, then Beasley would have had one of his worst seasons. 

Again, we'll see what happens this year, but as you say, if it doesn't work out, it's more than Allen's not the guy as you said, but it would also indicate exactly what I said above, that the receiving situation wasn't really as bad as that runaway narrative states.  

Besides, and we've been over this, with a far better QB(s), Beasley's only posted two 100-yard games and has a TD in only about 1 in every 6 games.  He's averaged not even 500 yards a season and about only 3 TDs/season.  Even in his last three seasons he's averaged about 600 yards, 4 TDs, and just over 10 ypr.  

I think that everyone's overrating him quite a bit.  

And if that's the "big improvement" alongside Brown then I question it, particularly since Foster and Jones, who were both with the team last season, are in the discussion for starting, which really wouldn' t be much different at all.  

We'll see. 

I do think that Bills fans are vastly overrating Beasley however. 

Look at my post above.  Everyone's talking about him as if he's Welker or Edelman.  He's not.  Clearly.  

The Pats wanted Beasley and Humphries.  If he had signed in NE, I’m fairly confidant he’d be similar to both of those guys.  Catching passes from Brady >>>>. catching passes from Dak or Josh.  We can talk about how great those guys are playing with the GOAT, we can’t really talk much about them playing without him.  The GOAT even turned a cornerback into his go to wr and made him into a household name.

my point is, we have no idea if Beasley can be Welker or Edelman until they play on an even field.  Brady is not an even field.  He makes everyone better.  A LOT better.  We’re talking about Dak and a broken Romo throwing Beasley the ball. It’s not a fair comparison.  If you weren’t trying to defend your point, you would agree 100%

I’ll say guys that talk smack about the last team coming in are likely to do the same going out. 

As for talent... he is a good player but at one of our qbs weak points. If josh takes a big step, he’s a great resource. If not, he could be a sore spot. ‘‘Tis the risk of a pickup like this. Clay never got utilized by Tyrod in our quest to throw between the hashes. Josh isn’t tyrod though.

Wow a thread about Beasley loving Buffalo sure turned negative real quick.  Some thoughts:

*  It's obvious Beasley loves the Bills organization and thinks it's a lot better then Dallas was - that's pretty much all he's talked about. 

*  I have to believe Beasley asked around concerning Allen especially given that his stated #1 reason for leaving the Cowboys was that he wanted to get targeted more and catch more passes.  If he thought Allen was a total bust that couldn't complete a short pass I'm not sure the money alone would have been enough to lure him here.  At MINIMUM Beasley must have some confidence that Allen can get him the ball.

*  I'm going to ignore the "Allen is inaccurate" statements that are made as if they are FACT.  That argument has been made so much on 2BD that the dead horses bones have been ground into dust.

*  I will point out that structurally the Bills are designed for a slot receiver with Beasley's skills to shine.  You have SPEED which MUST be respected with Brown & Foster at the wide outs and a QB in Allen who can get them the ball deep.  Then you have a QB whose running ability is game changing.  This means that LB's and safeties will be a bit preoccupied every time Allen drops back to pass.  Beasley is savvy enough to exploit the inevitable defensive indecision here.

*  I believe that not only will Beasley surpass his single season catch numbers at Dallas he will have a surprisingly high average gain per pass catch.  Why?  because his YAC will be enormous as he runs free between the deep coverage worried about Foster/Brown and the underneath coverage worried about Allen taking off.  

*  Folks keep claiming they watched & reviewed the tape and saw all these bad short throws by Allen.  Well I don't believe you.  Why?  Because in the game against the Jets you guys were the same ones who tried to convince us that the short Allen throw to Clay, which would have resulted in a huge gain if completed, was at his feet.  When we went back & forth arguing from memory someone posted the actual replay and it was OBVIOUS the ball hit Clay between his stomach & chest yet you guys kept insisting it was a bad throw!  Sure you stopped saying it hit Clay's feet and moved up the anatomy first to his ankles then to his knees but it was clear where Allen hit the guy with his throw.  Finally I think you guys just claimed he threw it to hard!  

*  In fact as I think back to some of the biggest pass plays Allen made they were off accurate SHORT passes in which the receiver got free as a result of an Allen scramble. The 3 that come to mind off the top of my head are the pass to Ivory against Minnesota; the pass to McCoy against Houston and the pass to Ivory against Miami in the last game. 

• Like (+1) 5
  • Awesome! (+1) 5

12 minutes ago, NewEra said:

The Pats wanted Beasley and Humphries.  If he had signed in NE, I’m fairly confidant he’d be similar to both of those guys.  Catching passes from Brady >>>>. catching passes from Dak or Josh.  We can talk about how great those guys are playing with the GOAT, we can’t really talk much about them playing without him.  The GOAT even turned a cornerback into his go to wr and made him into a household name.

my point is, we have no idea if Beasley can be Welker or Edelman until they play on an even field.  Brady is not an even field.  He makes everyone better.  A LOT better.  We’re talking about Dak and a broken Romo throwing Beasley the ball. It’s not a fair comparison.  If you weren’t trying to defend your point, you would agree 100%

You can compare if you have time and want to. 

Various things like physical measurables, catch rate on well thrown balls, footwork, so on and so forth are apples to apples even if stat lives aren’t  

• Like (+1) 1

I think Beasley is exactly what Allen needs to start working more slot, short yardage, muscle-memory into his game.

Beasley is hungry, wants the ball, and will be vocal about situations where he is uncovered or if Allen locks onto one guy and telegraphs any plays. He is clutch too if you get the ball near him.

Josh can learn a lot from him about how to best leverage the short game. Great move by OBD, just hoping they develop some chemistry on the field.

• Like (+1) 2

14 hours ago, BADOLBILZ said:

Reminds me of when McCoy came to the Bills b*tchin about Chip Kelly and the Eagles.   Jilted talk.   

Uh oh. Beasley is in your cross hairs. I look forward to your future trashing of him. 

• Haha (+1) 1

44 minutes ago, WideRightRevenge said:

Call it being the ultimate homer or too much Josh Kool Aid ... but I think many on this board are going to be surprised by his short passing game stats this year which will directly influence Beasley's production.  Too many positive influences from one year ago:

• Rookie Year is over
  • Full year of coaching and full camp as undisputed starter and reps therein
  • Better OL (on paper)
  • Better WR's (on paper) ..but hopefully won't have a 5 minute video in 2019 of Bills dropped passes

Per the bold, there is no under estimating the importance of this aspect of his development. 

• Thank you (+1) 1