How much is cole beasly really loving the bills?

Well, unless Allen makes a monster leap in his play, Prescott last season was worlds better than Allen.  

Here's my big concern, Allen's passing strengths don't lie where Beasley typically caught the ball in Dallas, in fact the opposite, those areas were Allen's biggest weakness last year.  

So whether that changes remains to be seen, but talking in the offseason much less the preseason I'm not sure accomplishes much, particularly in Buffalo where we've been offseason and preseason champs for years.  

We'll see how Beasley works out, but they don't need him deep.  As it is, he only caught four deep passes last season and the gains were only 18, 19, 21, 21, and 32.  

• Like (+1) 3

3 minutes ago, Ronin said:

Well, unless Allen makes a monster leap in his play, Prescott last season was worlds better than Allen.  

Here's my big concern, Allen's passing strengths don't lie where Beasley typically caught the ball in Dallas, in fact the opposite, those areas were Allen's biggest weakness last year.  

So whether that changes remains to be seen, but talking in the offseason much less the preseason I'm not sure accomplishes much, particularly in Buffalo where we've been offseason and preseason champs for years.  

We'll see how Beasley works out, but they don't need him deep.  As it is, he only caught four deep passes last season and the gains were only 18, 19, 21, 21, and 32.  

He could only do what they gave him a chance to do. The greater concern to me, as you point out, is will Josh have the skills to get the most out of him? Fingers crossed! 

• Like (+1) 2

7 minutes ago, Augie said:

He could only do what they gave him a chance to do. The greater concern to me, as you point out, is will Josh have the skills to get the most out of him? Fingers crossed! 

Well, as they say, you create your own luck/chances.  

Point being, and as you imply, Beasley is and always has been a short-route slot-receiver.  That's not Allen's forte, actually it's his biggest weakness.  

Other aspects of our passing game may be better this season but if I had to lay money it wouldn't be on that aspect of it.  That would be the last area that I would bet on.  On the other hand, if Allen does it, his accuracy and completion% issues will likely be solved.  

Let's just hope that Beasley isn't eating his words this season.  

Be a nice change of pace to see some offensive competence for once.  

Edited by Ronin

2 minutes ago, Ronin said:

Point being, and as you imply, Beasley is and always has been a short-route slot-receiver.  That's not Allen's forte, actually it's his biggest weakness.  

Other aspects of our passing game may be better this season but if I had to lay money it wouldn't be on that aspect of it.  That would be the last area that I would bet on.  Let's just hope that Beasley isn't eating his words this season.  

I’m sure it won’t be Allen’s strength, but I hope it’s the most improved aspect of his game. Again with my theme.....progress. He has to get better there. Improve on the short game and everything else gets a little easier. 

• Like (+1) 1

19 minutes ago, Ronin said:

Fly's, deep routes are not Beasley's thing as we all know. They can't just field an entire receiving core based on what Allen has done well thus far in his career. They have emphasized speed with Brown and Foster, but you've got to have someone doing the dirty work. Considering all the tight ends have question marks, a guy like Beasley is a must.

I believe your overall point is that Allen has struggled with short and intermediate throws. If he can't at least become competent in that department, it won't really matter because it will mean he's not the answer. So I don't really get the critique of Beasley.

• Like (+1) 1
  • Thank you (+1) 2

39 minutes ago, Ronin said:

Other aspects of our passing game may be better this season but if I had to lay money it wouldn't be on that aspect of it.  That would be the last area that I would bet on.  On the other hand, if Allen does it, his accuracy and completion% issues will likely be solved.  

Let's just hope that Beasley isn't eating his words this season.  

Agree the short game is his biggest weakness. But this is one of the reasons I like McBeane. They addressed his biggest weakness with a good player. Is cole gonna have the stats he had in Dallas? Maybe not. Is josh gonna have better stats on the shorter throws? Probably cause Beasley gets more separation than all our previous receivers. It was moves like this that the fan base is getting behind. 

• Like (+1) 8
  • Awesome! (+1) 1
  • Thank you (+1) 2

1 hour ago, Augie said:

I’m sure it won’t be Allen’s strength, but I hope it’s the most improved aspect of his game. Again with my theme.....progress. He has to get better there. Improve on the short game and everything else gets a little easier. 

Well, as I've oft said, if Allen even wants to be an average QB in this league that's what'll have to happen.  

1 hour ago, LSHMEAB said:

Fly's, deep routes are not Beasley's thing as we all know. They can't just field an entire receiving core based on what Allen has done well thus far in his career. They have emphasized speed with Brown and Foster, but you've got to have someone doing the dirty work. Considering all the tight ends have question marks, a guy like Beasley is a must.

I believe your overall point is that Allen has struggled with short and intermediate throws. If he can't at least become competent in that department, it won't really matter because it will mean he's not the answer. So I don't really get the critique of Beasley.

I hear ya, but based on what I saw last year he had guys open where Beasley will be this year, he simply didn't make anything even approaching efficient use of them.  Once again, this is one of those runaway narrative type of things.  He didn't have WRs that could get open, which was hogwash.  Granted, they weren't Andre Johnson, but still, the issues were more Allen than the receivers which few if any care to admit.  

Which aligns with your point above, but where you missed my point was that in essence, had Beasley been on the team last season, if Allen had played the way he did, then Beasley would have had one of his worst seasons. 

Again, we'll see what happens this year, but as you say, if it doesn't work out, it's more than Allen's not the guy as you said, but it would also indicate exactly what I said above, that the receiving situation wasn't really as bad as that runaway narrative states.  

Besides, and we've been over this, with a far better QB(s), Beasley's only posted two 100-yard games and has a TD in only about 1 in every 6 games.  He's averaged not even 500 yards a season and about only 3 TDs/season.  Even in his last three seasons he's averaged about 600 yards, 4 TDs, and just over 10 ypr.  

I think that everyone's overrating him quite a bit.  

And if that's the "big improvement" alongside Brown then I question it, particularly since Foster and Jones, who were both with the team last season, are in the discussion for starting, which really wouldn' t be much different at all.  

1 hour ago, YattaOkasan said:

Agree the short game is his biggest weakness. But this is one of the reasons I like McBeane. They addressed his biggest weakness with a good player. Is cole gonna have the stats he had in Dallas? Maybe not. Is josh gonna have better stats on the shorter throws? Probably cause Beasley gets more separation than all our previous receivers. It was moves like this that the fan base is getting behind. 

We'll see. 

I do think that Bills fans are vastly overrating Beasley however. 

Look at my post above.  Everyone's talking about him as if he's Welker or Edelman.  He's not.  Clearly.  

• Thank you (+1) 1

5 minutes ago, Ronin said:

Look at my post above.  Everyone's talking about him as if he's Welker or Edelman.  He's not.  Clearly.  

We can’t really say. If he played for the Patriots, he just might be every bit of that. As we all know, the brunt of winning the battle relies upon the QB. I’ll just hope for the best. 

• Like (+1) 1

2 hours ago, Ronin said:

I agree. For Beasley to be productive and successful will entirely depend on Josh cleaning up his inaccuracy with the short crosses......

• Like (+1) 1

1 hour ago, Ronin said:

I 100% agree with you. Only thing is Allen actually had the worst deep ball accuracy percentage too last year, so even that's not technically a strength yet. 

Also, you said Beasley only caught four deep passes last season but then listed off 5, just fyi :)

It's a really interesting take on the predictable nature of the Cowboys offense, and how it may have hampered Beasley's production. I don't know enough about the Cowboys system to have much of an opinion on it, but if there is a shred of truth to it, it would seem that Beasley could really thrive in a Daboll offense.

So many cool things to watch for this season!

3 hours ago, Ronin said:

Our slot WRs couldn’t get open last year. Beasley is going to be used frequently.

• Like (+1) 2
  • Thank you (+1) 1