Sad day for intelligent sports talk

gomper

He was the best in Toronto

The show was at its peak with the old timers in Marsden and Shaky and that generation as guests years ago

when he was the stadium announcer for the Jays 1977 season he left the mic on and said “great, he’s going to knock it out of here” as Jason Thompson stepped to the plate and then hit a home run

————-

The first Jays seasons had Early Wynn doing radio colour in the worst  possible way, Bobcat hosted the postgame call-in show and every 15 minutes someone got past the screener to ask “who the hell hired Early Wynn??” 

Early’s quality trademark was “ball hit... going deep... deep... deep... taken in by the shortstop”

Edited by row_33
  • Haha (+1) 1
  • Awesome! (+1) 1

4 hours ago, eball said:

Never heard of him.  But ok, sad day if you say so.

It is sad. His show covered all different topics in sports in an intelligent and entertaining way. The very best show I've ever heard. 

31 minutes ago, Misterbluesky said:

I'll be darned...I thought Jerry Howarth was the PA at X.

That was a cool place to watch a ball game and if you like autographs,easy access to the players.Some would grab a few smokers before they got on the bus..in plain view.

Bobcat did the announcing the first season. Jerry joined the radio crew after Early Wynn died, 1980???

The Ex bullpens were a foot away from the metal benches down the foul lines. Made for some amusing wordplay between fans and visitors warming up in right. One game Dick Drago was ready to climb over and put the hurt on a fan.  

• Like (+1) 1