7th Rd. Draft Pick Jordan Poyer...Play Maker

On Poyer, a bunch of stuff I didn’t know about him.

drafted by the eagles then cut and nabbed by Cleveland. 

was also drafted by Florida Marlins and was a great high school baseball player.

5 minutes ago, formerlyofCtown said:

They probably did think he was the 12 best player but had plenty of guys he was better than. They apparently just didnt know it yet.

They played him a ton at slot corner where he was average. 

Ha Ha was their top safety. 

On 6/21/2019 at 9:18 AM, Badanswer said:

I didn't see to much news going on here today so....why not :)

Who would have thunk a 7th rounder could be this good?

We talk a lot on this board about where guys could/should have been picked in the draft, we covet high draft picks in hopes of building a powerhouse and sometimes we dismiss late round picks as camp fodder. But teams find gems once in awhile that shine brighter than anyone can imagine. Jordan Poyer is one of those gems.

Saw this come across my feed last night and it got me pumped up....hope it makes your day a little better too :)

So....when we talk about ONLY getting a 6th or 7th for a trade and say "bah only that for him...not good" think again :)

Have a great and stress free day fellas

Probably the same people who didn't think Tom Brady, Kurt Warner and Priest Holmes would be that good

• Like (+1) 2

On 6/21/2019 at 1:30 PM, GunnerBill said:

I am much higher than 716 on Poyer and we have debated it before. I think he is average against the run and borderline elite in coverage and he excels defending in the redzone. 

In this day in age give me the safety will elite cover skills against the safety who can run up and stuff the running back every single day of every single week.

I'm looking for adequate run support from the free safety position. I'm looking for well above average coverage skills from that spot. Poyer is at least adequate in run support and outstanding in coverage. Actually drafted as a corner IIRC. The trade off is well worth it.

As you mentioned, Poyer actually made plays in the RZ; the only other guy I recall making plays in the RZ was Milano. The hope is that Oliver opens things up for the edge rushers and more importantly, Edmunds makes a huge leap. Gotta fix the RZ defense.

Edited by LSHMEAB
  • Like (+1) 2

On 6/21/2019 at 9:18 AM, Badanswer said:

I didn't see to much news going on here today so....why not :)

Who would have thunk a 7th rounder could be this good?

We talk a lot on this board about where guys could/should have been picked in the draft, we covet high draft picks in hopes of building a powerhouse and sometimes we dismiss late round picks as camp fodder. But teams find gems once in awhile that shine brighter than anyone can imagine. Jordan Poyer is one of those gems.

Indeed.  The secondary is tight.  

Would love to see the team getting that quality of play from their day-1 & 2 picks and their higher paid free-agents however.  

Their two most expensive prior to this year's batch are Lotulolei and Trent Murphy.  If both of them were playing at Hyde/Poyer levels it'd be a good thing, but they're not.  

Poyer was a relatively cheap one;  4 years $13M

14 hours ago, machine gun kelly said:

The OP makes a good point and another example is emerging in Foster.

Foster's issues, like so many of Beane's signings, have been injuries more than anything.  

• Like (+1) 1

On 6/21/2019 at 7:33 PM, K-9 said:

I’m glad we got Poyer when we did. And thank you Cleveland for the development work. Because I suspect that had we drafted him, he would have been cut or otherwise given up on before he blossomed. 

You mean like Gilmore, now considered the best CB in the league.

9 hours ago, ganesh said:

You mean like Gilmore, now considered the best CB in the league.

I get what you mean, but Gilmore was already good when he came into the league. Far less development required than Poyer. But yeah, I'm sure Belichick is grateful for getting a much more refined Gilmore after serving his apprenticeship in Buffalo. It's a common situation in the league though. 

Poyer is a good player no doubt, but he is also a perfect scheme fit for what we do here. He may not be as good on other teams with different responsibilities at the position. Here, for us though, he is great. 

This is why this regime should never spend high picks on secondary.  I question a bunch of their moves but McDermott knows the secondary as well as anyone in the nfl. 

I also dont see his marriage lasting but he still still got her prime years. ?

4 hours ago, C.Biscuit97 said:

This is why this regime should never spend high picks on secondary.  I question a bunch of their moves but McDermott knows the secondary as well as anyone in the nfl. 

I also dont see his marriage lasting but he still still got her prime years. ?

Maybe for safeties but it's really hard to trot out a bunch of late round picks at CB and expect them to hold in this pass happy league

Corner IS a premium position and the best ones are drafted high usually

There are sleepers everywhere but I would absolutely spend a first for a stud corner in this league

1 hour ago, Buffalo716 said:

Maybe for safeties but it's really hard to trot out a bunch of late round picks at CB and expect them to hold in this pass happy league

Corner IS a premium position and the best ones are drafted high usually

There are sleepers everywhere but I would absolutely spend a first for a stud corner in this league

Have a nice long discussion with Bill from NYC.