7th Rd. Draft Pick Jordan Poyer...Play Maker

I didn't see to much news going on here today so....why not :)

Who would have thunk a 7th rounder could be this good?

We talk a lot on this board about where guys could/should have been picked in the draft, we covet high draft picks in hopes of building a powerhouse and sometimes we dismiss late round picks as camp fodder. But teams find gems once in awhile that shine brighter than anyone can imagine. Jordan Poyer is one of those gems.

Saw this come across my feed last night and it got me pumped up....hope it makes your day a little better too :)

So....when we talk about ONLY getting a 6th or 7th for a trade and say "bah only that for him...not good" think again :)

Have a great and stress free day fellas

Edited by Badanswer
  • Like (+1) 2

I remember during the senior bowl that year, during practices and such, Charles Davis loved him. He was heaping praise on him left and right and so I was pretty surprised when he was drafted in the seventh round. They were talking about him as a 3rd or 4th rounder. So I always kind of remembered his name, but he kind of fell off my radar. He's a good player with some good instincts and a move to safety was huge for his career. 

• Like (+1) 1

8 minutes ago, Limeaid said:

I recommended Bills look at him before they signed him. 

Always considered the Pack my 2nd team.  Was actually offered a job in Minnesota once and the company mentioned that they could get valued employees tickets to NFL game and I said "Great, I am a Packers fan."  The conversation went a different direction than recruiter planned but we continued talking.  Back breaker was requirement that I move to Minnesota as soon as hired with them paying for move and any loss I'd have on house.  Told recruiter not ready to uproot my family until I see I am good fit in job and recruiter tried pushing saying they get whole families involved even helping spouses find jobs if needed.

Poyer never played for the Pack. That was Hyde.

• Like (+1) 4
  • Haha (+1) 1
  • Awesome! (+1) 2

13 minutes ago, MrEpsYtown said:

I remember during the senior bowl that year, during practices and such, Charles Davis loved him. He was heaping praise on him left and right and so I was pretty surprised when he was drafted in the seventh round. They were talking about him as a 3rd or 4th rounder. So I always kind of remembered his name, but he kind of fell off my radar. He's a good player with some good instincts and a move to safety was huge for his career. 

for some reason he sticks out for me from his combine. I remember him running well, if i'm not mistaken, and I think he actually worked out with the corners maybe??? and yes, I remember him being talked about as a mid rounder.

• Like (+1) 2

Just now, Stank_Nasty said:

for some reason he sticks out for me from his combine. I remember him running well, if i'm not mistaken, and I think he actually worked out with the corners maybe??? and yes, I remember him being talked about as a mid rounder.

Yea he was seen as a corner coming out.

• Like (+1) 1

I’m glad we got Poyer when we did. And thank you Cleveland for the development work. Because I suspect that had we drafted him, he would have been cut or otherwise given up on before he blossomed. 

• Like (+1) 2

1 minute ago, GunnerBill said:

Yea he was seen as a corner coming out.

just.... what a player. 

hopefully the team starts winning and he gets recognized like we all know he should...…. although I get slightly annoyed with how "pretty"(her words) my wife thinks he is. if I watched blake lively movies 16 sundays a year and routinely reminded my darling of how "pretty" blake was I may not live to see a 17th week....

• Haha (+1) 1

2 minutes ago, Stank_Nasty said:

just.... what a player. 

hopefully the team starts winning and he gets recognized like we all know he should...…. although I get slightly annoyed with how "pretty"(her words) my wife thinks he is. if I watched blake lively movies 16 sundays a year and routinely reminded my darling of how "pretty" blake was I may not live to see a 17th week....

Oh I think he is very pretty too. Not a mad fan of the back tattoo but those eyes......

• Haha (+1) 3

I remember a lot of people hating on the Poyer signing because he was a late round pick and he came from Cleveland. I was concerned with his durability, but liked him as a player. I have enjoyed watching him on the field. He and Hyde are crucial. 

• Like (+1) 3

22 minutes ago, R Y G A R said:

I remember a lot of people hating on the Poyer signing because he was a late round pick and he came from Cleveland. I was concerned with his durability, but liked him as a player. I have enjoyed watching him on the field. He and Hyde are crucial. 

Poyer and Hyde have been absolute gems.  Both were marginal players in their prior teams and systems and marginal prospects coming out.  In buffalo they have flourished.

McDermotts defense is secondary friendly. 

• Like (+1) 2
  • Awesome! (+1) 1

17 minutes ago, Over 29 years of fanhood said:

Poyer and Hyde have been absolute gems.  Both were marginal players in their prior teams and systems and marginal prospects coming out.  In buffalo they have flourished.

McDermotts defense is secondary friendly. 

I didn't know much about Poyer but I thought Hyde was criminally underused and undervalued in Green Bay. He was a victim of his own versatility. Every time they had an injury he was the guy who got moved to cover.... safety, corner, slot and back again. Which meant he never got the chance to really nail down a spot as his own. 

• Like (+1) 5

Why you should always trade down not up in the draft. Its a total crap shoot and none of these GMs are any better at finding talent than any of the others. The examples of busts and misses are limitless. 

Beane has no idea if Allen will ever be able to consistently complete a 10 yard crossing pattern or if a 19 year old kid can continue to develop any more than the other 31 general managers.  

Trade down and add more players. Every once in a while you will find a Stevie Johnson or even better an Antonio Gates. 

Of course there are always gems in UDFA like Jason Peters, too bad the Bills couldn't find a guy like that. I mean a future HOF player at LT. Bills just never seem to find those guys.

• Like (+1) 1
  • Haha (+1) 1

10 minutes ago, GunnerBill said:

I didn't know much about Poyer but I thought Hyde was criminally underused and undervalued in Green Bay. He was a victim of his own versatility. Every time they had an injury he was the guy who got moved to cover.... safety, corner, slot and back again. Which meant he never got the chance to really nail down a spot as his own. 

Was a solid STer there as well. 

But it I think if he was as good there at any of the spots in their system as compared to the other DBs he would have locked in to a spot. 

• Like (+1) 1

Just now, Over 29 years of fanhood said:

But it I think if he was as good there at any of the spots in their system as compared to the other DBs he would have locked in to a spot. 

See I think he was as good. I just think they never saw him in a spot for long enough to really value him. I said it when he was there too. He was one of my favourite players in the league long before he was a Bill.

• Like (+1) 1

10 minutes ago, Over 29 years of fanhood said:

I have a buddy that is a very knowledgeable packers fan. he was furious they let him just walk. told me he was a real asset. so didn't know much about him but that gave me a good feeling...  

• Like (+1) 2

20 minutes ago, Ethan in Portland said:

Why you should always trade down not up in the draft. Its a total crap shoot and none of these GMs are any better at finding talent than any of the others. The examples of busts and misses are limitless. 

Beane has no idea if Allen will ever be able to consistently complete a 10 yard crossing pattern or if a 19 year old kid can continue to develop any more than the other 31 general managers.  

Trade down and add more players. Every once in a while you will find a Stevie Johnson or even better an Antonio Gates. 

Of course there are always gems in UDFA like Jason Peters, too bad the Bills couldn't find a guy like that. I mean a future HOF player at LT. Bills just never seem to find those guys.

The sarcasm may not be clear enough for some on here.

Wasn't him being traded a forced issue?  Like he just wanted out of Buffalo or something?

49 minutes ago, Stank_Nasty said:

I have a buddy that is a very knowledgeable packers fan. he was furious they let him just walk. told me he was a real asset. so didn't know much about him but that gave me a good feeling...  

For what little it worth I played madden those years using the packers typically because the bills were so aweful and he was a solid returner and playmaker in the secondary ?‍♂️ 

in real life, he seemed like an average athlete that had a real nose for the football and a knack for making plays no matter the position.

• Like (+1) 1