Sign in to follow this  
Limeaid

Predicting one future first-time Pro Bowler for each AFC team

14 minutes ago, MJS said:

But at linebacker I think it is more just on name recognition than anything else. That might make it hard for guys like Milano and Edmunds.

If you are a DE and get a ton of sacks, you'll go to the pro bowl no matter what team you're on and if you are recognized by the masses, because the masses respect sacks. Not so simple for a linebacker unless he just gets a ton of turnovers.

I think Milano has a shot if he keeps improving. He has a knack for turnovers which will garner ESPN highlights... Particularly if he shows up big against large market teams. 

2 hours ago, Stank_Nasty said:

right. I agree. but that's not performance based. WEO is balking at the notion he's next in line to be a probowler based on performance.... and that's absurd IMO.

I think WEO has a point. Poyer has to be substantially better stat wise because he has no name recognition or previous following. If the pro bowl was solely a statistical analysis then Poyer would be in good shape... But... Unfortunately fan vote and sports writers matter. 🤷‍♂️ Like I said about Milano, Poyer will need big plays in games against large market teams. 

For all the money he's getting paid I hope it's Morse.

• Thanks! (+1) 1

22 minutes ago, Doc Brown said:

For all the money he's getting paid I hope it's Morse.

Olinemen are kind of random as far as pro bowlers go. There's not really any stats to go by, so people just vote for who they know OR they vote for guys from good offenses.

3 hours ago, Stank_Nasty said:

wins. simple answer

from a pure numbers standpoint he was better than bates IMO. one could argue better overall stats, and i'll be perfectly honest, I don't know enough about bates game to judge much more than the box scores... poyer had one more int, one more FF, one more FR, 2 more sacks, 9 more TFL, 11 less total tackles. that was one hell of a rookie campaign by Bates though.

Exactly. Just win baby. 

4 hours ago, whatdrought said:

Pro-Bowls are worthless. It’s a joke.

That’s certainly true of the games. The honor, and more importantly any bonus it might trigger, are nothing to take lightly. 

3 hours ago, Augie said:

That’s certainly true of the games. The honor, and more importantly any bonus it might trigger, are nothing to take lightly. 

They used to indicate players who were superior in skill and performance. Now they indicate players who are superior in name recognition and branding. 

• Like (+1) 2

White of course, Edmunds if he totally matures and puts it together, Oliver and our new prodigal son Josh Allen at some point!

22 minutes ago, whatdrought said:

They used to indicate players who were superior in skill and performance. Now they indicate players who are superior in name recognition and branding. 

Yeah...the pro bowl is not what it once was...if it ever was anyway.

Posted (edited)
11 hours ago, Ethan in Portland said:

White is a probowl talent but with Gilmore and Ramsey in the same conference he may be even better in 2019 than he was in 2017/8 and still not make it.

I actually think Edmunds has a better chance.  Not that he is the better player. But just because there is not a lot of great talent at MLB in AFC.

That is why we hold on to him. Speaking of the pro bowl, you can field quite a team of pro bowlers from all of the DB's that have left the Bills!

Edited by Rocket94

8 hours ago, GoBills808 said:

Allen

This. Amazed everyone went defense. I think JA has a real shot despite Brady, Luck and Mahomes being in our conference.

18 hours ago, whatdrought said:

Not to the player they're not. Helps a lot come contract time -  $$$$$$$$$$!

18 hours ago, whatdrought said:

Agreed as so many of the people who actually play are alternates.

They decided to make the Pro Bowl useless by having it before Supper bowl so they could get more alternates in it.

Everyone is picking Tre White, which would also be my first pick but if I had to pick another it would be Tremaine Edmunds. 2nd year player now, game has slowed down for him. 150 tackles 5 sacks and 4 INTs. Brady better sleep with his lights on.

If this defense can stay healthy, if Oliver brings inside rush, Jerry Hughes will have a career year and possibly lead league in sacks.  That’s my prediction.  Hughes makes pro bowl 

Posted (edited)

For Tre to go, we need to have a lot of success as a team. As one poster said about DE’s and sacks, the masses respect INT’s for DB’s. Tre is more of a blanket than a ball hawk. He’s well on the radar of people who really watch football. But if you ask most general fans who Tre White is they would have no idea. With success it will force people to look at the why and clearly the more you look at what he does all around, he’s an exceptional player. I would give Edmunds, Oliver, and Hughes the best chance if we aren’t as successful as a team just based on all 3 being able to get peoples attention with stats. If Oliver ends up being the player we think he is he could even help Hughes go before he does. I really think Oliver will be special but it’s not as if we are coming off some scrub at that position. 

Edited by KzooMike

3 minutes ago, buffaloboyinATL said:

Ed Oliver

..interesting.....a Pro-Bowl rook would be an accomplishment......could see Tre and Edmunds as candidates..Josh is more dependent on his surrounding arsenal because he can't do it alone AGAIN.....gonna hang up and wait for the "well Tuhrod was a Pro-Bowler" contingent to weigh in.....stay tuned....

• Haha (+1) 1

On 6/21/2019 at 11:01 AM, Stank_Nasty said:

lets play a game.... which player got the probowl nod?

Player A.

15 games played

95 tackles

5 int

13 passes defensed

1 fumble recovery

2 sacks

4 TFL

1td

Player B.

16 games played

82 tackles

5 int

13 passes defensed.

2 TFL

i'll answer for you. player b was hyde. he got the nod..... player A was poyer…. but PFF has spoken and I guess that's not a probowl caliber stat line.

if you don't see a probowl type stat line there from poyer you must be freaking HIGH. safeties have gotten the nod for far less.

PFF also accounts for things like missed tackle, blown assignments/coverages. That doesn't show up on a generic stat line.  Pro bowl voting is like a beauty contest, it literally means nothing and once you go, you often keep going based on name alone.  This board has plenty of threads every year with people clamoring for "names" of free agents just because we have heard of them not because anyone really watches the details about how they play....

On 6/21/2019 at 2:14 PM, MJS said:

Hopefully Milano turns more heads this year.

Milano is very underrated.