Favorite old time comedy act?

In other words an act that predates the internet and cable TV.  Abbott and Costello?  Lewis and Martin?  Rowan and Martin?  Laurel and Hardy?  Cheech and Chong?  Hard for me to choose one.  I was not much for Laurel and Hardy in my younger days but today it is impressive what they convey with a minimum of dialog when so many today rely on blather mouth.  Not really into drug culture but I let out belly laughs when I see C & C's Up in Smoke.  

3 minutes ago, RochesterRob said:

I thought Ching was the guy they brought in while Chong was appearing on That 70's Show?

And those were my years..but I could never connect with that show.Grumpy old man..wife ,the slave/dinner cooker..kids smoking dope in the basement everynight..swingers/key gatherings?

My father would have kicked my ass if he ever smelled pot in the basement.

That show was very liberal.

My father WAS NOT a liberal.

big Laurel and Hardy fan here.  Loved them on Sunday Morning Funnies as a kid in the 80s, 

and they still make me laugh when I watch the clips on youtube today.  

It's all about the timing in comedy.. and nobody understood that more than the comic genius who was Stan Laurel who both wrote and directed many of their best skits and films.  

• Like (+1) 1

1 hour ago, Ridgewaycynic2013 said:

Three Stooges.

47 minutes ago, May Day 10 said:

Three Stooges

its timeless

I was showing my 6 year old some clips and he was on the floor laughing

3 stooges ages well. Hilarious at any age. I may have heard my dad laugh a dozen times in my life and I can remember a few of them were from the Stooges.

• Like (+1) 1

Abbott and Costello. "Who's on First" will outlive baseball itself.

I don't think of Cheech and Chong as old-time, mainly because they were current when I was a teen. A few years ago I was at a social gathering of ... let's just say very educated individuals ... when someone got a call from a guy she was dating. His name was Dave, and when she answered the phone, she said, "Dave?" I was one of four people who responded, in unison, "Dave's not here." I learned something about three of my colleagues that night. ?

Edited by WhoTom
  • Like (+1) 1
  • Haha (+1) 1
  • Thank you (+1) 1

50 minutes ago, Misterbluesky said:

And those were my years..but I could never connect with that show.Grumpy old man..wife ,the slave/dinner cooker..kids smoking dope in the basement everynight..swingers/key gatherings?

My father would have kicked my ass if he ever smelled pot in the basement.

That show was very liberal.

My father WAS NOT a liberal.

Yeah, that is not how I remember the 1970's as a kid.  My mother was a good person but certainly was not happy-go-lucky like the TV mom.  I think kids smoked or drank out in the garage assuming the man of the house was very infrequently out there.  Rumor was there was swinging in the next town over but that could have just been somebody's wishful imagination.  Moving your down on his luck friend into your home would have not happened anywhere in my hometown.  

• Like (+1) 1

50 minutes ago, RochesterRob said:

My mother was a good person but certainly was not happy-go-lucky like the TV mom. 

Happy-go-lucky?!  From what little I’ve watched, I’ve always been under the impression Kitty Forman was about a half inch shy of a full blown nervous breakdown.  Living with Red would have done that to a person.