2016 NFL Draft

Rigotz

19 minutes ago, Rocky Landing said:

It's a fair point, but put it all into context: how many regimes for the Bills have lasted more than two years? 

Doug Marone: '13-14

Rex Ryan: '15-16

McD: '17- ??

A new coaching staff come in, and immediately cleans house. 

But, in the context of this thread, and with the history of the Bills hiring a new coaching staff every two-three years, it's not really accurate to slam the picks themselves simply because they are no longer with the Bills. If, after being let go by yet another new regime, they went on to have successful careers, you can't really say they were terrible players, or picks. Many just didn't fit the next regime to come in.

Pretty much. Comparing having a spot on the Bills roster is very much a different thing than the fact that the four teams that all played in the conference championships all saw enough of ex bills players to have them in their line-ups. These are all incredibly well runs organizations, while ours has been a dumpster fire for decades. We also had players on most of the semi-finals teams as well.

14 hours ago, GunnerBill said:

Wrong Williams. That was Karlos. This is Jonathan. This one had feet made of lead. The only cut he ever made was a paper cut. 

Which makes it an even more puzzling pick, as I have personally witnessed Doug Whaley doing an unflattering imitation of Trent Richardson taking a handoff and trying to make a cut. He took like thirteen quick stomps forward/backward/sideways before moving forward. It was actually kind of funny. He did this in front of McCoy and a few other players and personnel, if I recall correctly. 

Went back and looked at the instant take grades from the draft "experts."  The consensus by most were that Lawson and Ragland were a steal.  Prisco shockingly wasn't a fan of either. 

NFL.com grade (Chad Reuter):  A-

ESPN grade (Mel Kiper):  B

Pro Football Focus grade (Steve Palazzalo): A-

SB Nation (Dan Kadar):  A-

SI.com (Steve Burke): A-

New York Daily News (Ebenezer Samuel): A-

Sporting News (Vinnie Iyer): A-

Washington Post (Mark Maske): B

Bleacher Report (Chris Rolling): B

Rotoworld (Evan Silva): B-

USA Today (Lindsay Jones):  C

Walterfootball: A

CBS Sports (Pete Prisco): C

San Diego Tribune (Eddie Brown): A

8 hours ago, Rocky Landing said:

But, in the context of this thread, and with the history of the Bills hiring a new coaching staff every two-three years, it's not really accurate to slam the picks themselves simply because they are no longer with the Bills. If, after being let go by yet another new regime, they went on to have successful careers, you can't really say they were terrible players, or picks. Many just didn't fit the next regime to come in.

True and I don't want to say that these guys are bad players. But equally the same applies in the opposite direction. They aren't epic Julio Jones -type game changers, who were 'ruined' by being Bills selections. They were good players who didn't fit the Bills scheme, and even at another team would probably have been overdrafted at the draft positions they were taken. Does that make them terrible picks? The best argument against that is Gilmore who had a successful move to NE but even then I don't have him as anywhere near the  best CB in the league as the hype that surrounds him would suggest. You'll never convince me that Sammy was worth his position in that draft although i won't argue that hes an above average receiver.

11 hours ago, Rocky Landing said:

It's a fair point, but put it all into context: how many regimes for the Bills have lasted more than two years? 

Doug Marone: '13-14

Rex Ryan: '15-16

McD: '17- ??

A new coaching staff come in, and immediately cleans house. 

This is why a team should go for best player available over a player who fits a system.  Chances are pretty good that unless a player is drafted by one of the few franchises that have long term coaching stability, a good player will outlast his coaches.  Of the 32 current coaches 20 have been in their position fewer than 5 years.  When a 1st rounder signs, he signs a 4 year deal with a 5th year option.  Considering how nearly 2/3 of the 1st rounders are projected to have a longer commitment to the team than the coach, drafting a player to fit a system is GM malpractice.  The best, or worst, example was Ragland.  He was drafted because he fit Rex Ryan's system, with the Bills trading up 8 spots & giving up 2 extra 4ths.    He got hurt, never played a real down in Buffalo, Rex got fired & Ragland was a bad fit in the new coach's system.  So after spending a 2nd & 2 #4s, all the Bills got back was a 4th, not even in the next draft, which further devalues the pick they got.  They ended up using that pick as part of a 3 pick package to move up in the 3rd round & draft Knox.    

PS:  This is why unless Arizona feels that Josh Rosen is a total bust, they had no business drafting Murray & dumping Rosen for pennies on the dollar. 

Edited by Albany,n.y.

On 6/20/2019 at 1:58 PM, mannc said:

One of the worst drafts ever...thanks Whaley (and Wrex).

I think it was more so Rex !!

I would like to believe that Whaley was just doing what the coach wanted him to do seeing as Rex decided to change a top 10 Defense from a 4/3 to a 3/4 given the players didn't fit that scheme , and why not take a 4/3 DE first & put him in a 3/4 scheme (because his son played on the same team) & the rest of the players taken were just a reflection of a Ryan ran regime !!