Aaron Johnson

Round #5

Siran Neal

Wyatt Teller

Round #6

Ray Ray McCloud

Round #7

Austin Proehl

Even as recent as it is, you'd have to be pretty cynical to call that a terrible draft.

Add in Foster and Wallace as UDFA's.... BOOM!!!

• Like (+1) 1

6 minutes ago, Buffalo86 said:

Too bad Whaley never got to choose his own HC.  Or draft his own players.  Or cross the street without someone holding his hand.

Yeah. I’d hate to be paid $1 million + to screw up a clean slate. Put him on the Wall!!!!

These draft results confirm what many of us thought at the time of that 2016 draft.  Whaley rightly deserves the blame that he has received but so does Wrex and the scouting/personnel department.  It was no mystery to me why there was a house cleaning in the scouting department and the front office was cleared out as well.  Is anybody surprised that neither Whaley nor Wrex have been given another chance by an NFL team?  When the 2017 draft occurred, we were lucky that Whaley wasn't even allowed to pick out the donuts for the draft room.

Man did I catch hell from the usual suspects for calling that draft "uninspired".:lol:

That draft is on Rex............the players needed to stock that kind of defense simply aren't being produced at the college level so they reached for Shaq projecting him to OLB(:lol:) and Reggie Ragnuts(a sorry version of a 1990's ILB) and gave away 2 4th rounders just to get up to select doze nutz.:doh:

7 hours ago, Rocky Landing said:

To be fair, though, all of those guys, with the exception of Listenbee, are currently on an NFL team.

Isn't Ragland a pretty good LB for the Chiefs?

This makes me think about Sabres GM Tim Murray. We got rid of him because of deals involving Robyn Lenher, Evander Kane, Ryan O'Reilly, even JT Compher. So who was the problem, really?

Edited by PromoTheRobot
  • Like (+1) 1

4 minutes ago, PromoTheRobot said:

Isn't Ragland a pretty good LB for the Chiefs?

This makes me think about Sabres GM Tim Murray. We got rid of him because of deals involving Robyn Lenher, Evander Kane, Ryan O'Reilly, even JT Compher. So who was the problem, really?

I think he was fairly average. He started all last season, and they ran what, on paper at least, looks like a more effective version of Rex's hybrid defensive scheme. He didn't get a lot of sacks, but a lot of press coverage, and a fair amount of tackles. 

7 hours ago, Rocky Landing said:

Wait a minute, now... 2018:

Round #1

Josh Allen

Tremaine Edmunds

Round #3

Harrison Phillips

Round #4

Aaron Johnson

Round #5

Siran Neal

Wyatt Teller

Round #6

Ray Ray McCloud

Round #7

Austin Proehl

Even as recent as it is, you'd have to be pretty cynical to call that a terrible draft.

Proehl and mccloud gone 

Everyone else day 3 as a question mark

phillips 3rd in the rotation at best for what may be his whole rookie deal 

none are bad picks but it wouldn’t take a lot to break badly. Likewise a few could step up big time. Especially with wins at the top. That’s the mystery of it all. We like them right up until we don’t. Hopefully a few hold it off for a long time 

39 minutes ago, NoSaint said:

Proehl and mccloud gone 

Everyone else day 3 as a question mark

phillips 3rd in the rotation at best for what may be his whole rookie deal 

none are bad picks but it wouldn’t take a lot to break badly. Likewise a few could step up big time. Especially with wins at the top. That’s the mystery of it all. We like them right up until we don’t. Hopefully a few hold it off for a long time 

Well, of course. But, my point really is that even Proehl made his mark for the five minutes he was here. McCloud continues to be a fan favorite over a year after he was drafted (and, he is not yet gone, btw), Siran Neal, and Wyatt Teller are both considered reasonable depth, and may very well make the 53 this season, Taron Johnson is competing for nickel, and is likely to make the 53, Phillips is quality depth who is expected to make the 53, and could be assumed to have not reached his ceiling, and our first two picks, Allen and Edmunds are locks to start. 

None of that is homerism. That is a reasonable assessment of the 2018 draft, and it doesn't even include two UDFAs who are close to locks on the 53. Add a bunch of cynicism to that assessment, and it still adds up to a pretty damn good draft-- all in hindsight.

Edited by Rocky Landing

8 hours ago, Albany,n.y. said:

Why Whaley wasn't fired immediately after the 2016 season ended is beyond belief.  He was already gagged and told never to speak to the media after his disaster of a final press conference.  

Should've been fired after 2015, 3 years of failure as GM was more than enough....

and that's not considering the 3 years of failure before that as asst. GM.

Thank you once again Pegs for finally waking up.

• Like (+1) 1

44 minutes ago, Rocky Landing said:

Well, of course. But, my point really is that even Proehl made his mark for the five minutes he was here. McCloud continues to be a fan favorite over a year after he was drafted (and, he is not yet gone, btw), Siran Neal, and Wyatt Teller are both considered reasonable depth, and may very well make the 53 this season, Taron Johnson is competing for nickel, and is likely to make the 53, Phillips is quality depth who is expected to make the 53, and could be assumed to have not reached his ceiling, and our first two picks, Allen and Edmunds are locks to start. 

None of that is homerism. That is a reasonable assessment of the 2018 draft, and it doesn't even include two UDFAs who are close to locks on the 53. Add a bunch of cynicism to that assessment, and it still adds up to a pretty damn good draft-- all in hindsight.

Your take is totally reasonable. 

Seymour had that eye surgery that was going to be a break through to being a legit starter though too. It’s one of those things where they are all here because they are wildly filled with potential. I’m not saying any of the 18 class are junk, but that it’s so early to judge. We flop this year, fire McD and suddenly they may be scattered around the league and mismatched to scheme here. It can be a delicate road was my point, not hating on any player.

33 minutes ago, Pete said:

I was banging the table for Chris Jones with our first.  Then again I banged the table for Su'a Cravens.  You win some, you lose some

At least you never said you'd quit your job if Jimmy Clausen wasn't a star in the NFL. 

12 hours ago, Rigotz said:

Out of curiosity, I was taking a look at previous Whaley regime drafts. What a mess.

2016:

1st Round: Shaq Lawson - declined 5th year option 

2nd Round: Reggie Ragland - traded for 4th round pick - no longer on team 

3rd Round: Adolphus Washington - practice squad player - no longer on team

4th Round: Cardale Jones - traded for 7th rounder - cut - no longer on team

5th Round: Jonathan Williams - practice squad player - no longer on team

6th Round: Kolby Listenbee - never played - no longer on team

6th Round - Kevon Seymour - traded for Kaelin Clay - both no longer on team

Everyone misses picks, but damn...

Why do people here count players that are playing on other teams as misses? The Bills had A LOT of former players in the conference championships last season.

• Haha (+1) 1

6 hours ago, Pete said:

I was banging the table for Chris Jones with our first.  Then again I banged the table for Su'a Cravens.  You win some, you lose some

Don't bang the table it spills all the beer..