What would a Shaq Lawson contract extension look like for the Buffalo Bills?

HOUSE

45 minutes ago, nucci said:

If they didn't pick up his option, why would they bother offering him a new deal? Same thing they did with Sammy

The idea with not picking up Watkins's option at the time was if he has a great year we could sign him to a long term extension at any time, franchise tag him, or trade him to get something of value.  Beane chose the third option.  If Shaq somehow has a monster year and we can't come to terms then we can just put the franchise tag on him if.  If he plays like he did last year then we either let him walk or sign him to a moderate contract.  We also have the ability to trade him at any time this offseason.

52 minutes ago, 3rdand12 said:

Point taken.
Rex drafted him for his genius defense. and put him in a role he had not played before

Drafted a seriously injured player.
He looks better in McD 4 -3 for sure and can move inside. played steady last year.
 Kid was behind the 8 ball from the get go.

It sure seems folks are still evaluating him with a bias towards his draft.

try to take a fresh set of eyeballs this year and watch him.

Kid can play football.

but yes,

in his own best interest he should move on. Bills will hopefully create a heavy competition at both RE and LE and or "edge "

solid rotational player ?

He would be much better on the inside imo but is he stout enough? He did have a better year last season after a very bad pre-season. I want him to get better but he may  have peaked already. I guess we will have to wait and see. He may he rotational,     I just dont see it with the Bills next year.

Edited by billsfan_34

6 hours ago, Rigotz said:

He will play well this year because he seems to be a self-centered guy (based on following his instagram for several years).

Hopefully he plays well so we can trade him for a pick.

There is a zero percent chance we extend him. He doesn't fit in with this regime at all. He's a classic Rex guy.

Who doesn't seem self centered on Instagram? 

2 hours ago, CuddyDark said:

What you believe is irrelevant. It's not to difficult to look it up. He played 34 RDE and 34 ROLB for Clemson.

http://www.nfl.com/draft/2016/profiles/shaq-lawson?id=2555252

As an ACC fan, I watched Lawson play at Clemson. A lot. He was a 4-3 de. He may have stood up as an olb, but that was rare. Very rare. He was not a 3-4 de or a 3-4 olb. Your link says he played 5 technique and standing up on the outside, that was very rare. That write up is way off. Shaq was definitely not an olb in any way. It's easy to Google, you're correct, but the internet isn't always right. And it's definitely not in this case.

https://www.google.com/url?sa=t&source=web&rct=j&url=https://www.shakinthesouthland.com/platform/amp/2015/8/31/9229055/clemson-football-season-preview-defense-tactics&ved=2ahUKEwiG6eXYqvniAhUiwlkKHcnICSMQFjABegQIBRAB&usg=AOvVaw3Coy-hwcrbyXLCaYodzuFF&ampcf=1

Edited by Dopey
  • Like (+1) 2

3 hours ago, NewEra said:

2 years 8 mill.  4 mill gtd

That's what I think he gets on the market.  Of course it depends some on how he plays this year.

Bills probably pass on him unless Murphy gets injured or plays badly.

They may keep him on a short contract as a rotational DE if that's the case.

2 hours ago, Doc Brown said:

The idea with not picking up Watkins's option at the time was if he has a great year we could sign him to a long term extension at any time, franchise tag him, or trade him to get something of value.  Beane chose the third option.  If Shaq somehow has a monster year and we can't come to terms then we can just put the franchise tag on him if.  If he plays like he did last year then we either let him walk or sign him to a moderate contract.  We also have the ability to trade him at any time this offseason.

That doesn’t make sense.  All of those options would’ve been available if they had franchised Watkins.  That includes the ability to trade him which is an option they otherwise would not have had (unless they had tagged him first).

This is the dead season for football. There’s no harm in what-ifing situations like this, but let’s keep the odds of it happening real.  If teams want to keep 1st round picks, then they pick up their option or extend them early.  There’s was no higher level game being played with Lawson or Watkins.  Since the 5th year option was added, exactly one player who did not have one of those things happen stayed with the team that drafted him - Mark Ingram with the Saints.  Lawson is gone after this season. It’s better for him and it’s better for us. 

Regardless of Lawson's asking price, I think the Bills will be looking for a defensive end in the top two rounds of next year's draft.  If they don't get one in the first, they will try for one in the second.  They want an upgrade.  If Trent Murphy is and can stay healthy,  They'll use him on one side.  I think Jerry Hughes is still under contract for 2021, isn't he?   He could still start in 2021.  He;s getting pretty old, but he's been pretty durable, and he's still effective when the Bills can get pressure from other linemen too.  I don't think the Bills will be looking to pay Lawson a big time contract.

Lawson would need to provide a much improved pass rush to warrant anything more than 2 years $10million total from me and that would need to have the standard one year $ guarantee so we could walk quickly. He just hasn’t impressed enough to show any confidence in any long term deal. 

Edited by Locomark
  • Like (+1) 1

The value in not picking up his option was to provide motivation for 2019 and not risk having to pay him if injured.

Extending him now negates both of those.

Leave the carrot in front of him if you want to see the best he can do.

• Like (+1) 2

22 minutes ago, loyal2dagame said:

If I had a dime for every time someone mentioned how the Bills should extend Lawson based off his play.........

I'd have ZERO dimes. 

Lawson hasn't been what we hoped.  Time to move on.  

Except that it's not time to move on. We are too thin at DE for that. That time will be at the end of the season, when his contract is up, and we can address the position. And, that's assuming that his season goes about the same as it did last season. Or, maybe it doesn't? Is it conceivable that Lawson has not reached his ceiling, that he has a great season, and we decide to keep him? It could happen.

42 minutes ago, Rocky Landing said:

Except that it's not time to move on. We are too thin at DE for that. That time will be at the end of the season, when his contract is up, and we can address the position. And, that's assuming that his season goes about the same as it did last season. Or, maybe it doesn't? Is it conceivable that Lawson has not reached his ceiling, that he has a great season, and we decide to keep him? It could happen.

Let me clarify.  I'm not saying to cut the guy.  Let him play out his deal and leave. He hasn't show any flashes of greatness and way to few flashes of good.  

It depends on how he performs in a contract year with a solid interior DL. Also depends on how Murphy does and who else would be available in FA market next year. If our pass rush is anemic again this year despite a solid middle DL, good LBs and secondary, then Lawson will not be on the Bills and the team will look for a better pass rusher/EDGE. 

At this point, too early to tell and perhaps mid-season we will have a much better idea. 

• Like (+1) 1

17 minutes ago, loyal2dagame said:

Let me clarify.  I'm not saying to cut the guy.  Let him play out his deal and leave. He hasn't show any flashes of greatness and way to few flashes of good.  

I understood that. My point is that we shouldn't make assumptions on his upcoming season. He might just break out. Or, he might show just enough improvement that we decide that he is worth an amount that he is willing to accept, we are willing to pay, and other teams don't want to match. After all, he lost his entire rookie season, was piss poor his second season, and improved (I would say dramatically) his third season. It's not unlikely that his trajectory will continue to trend up, and we may very well regret not picking up his 5th year option.

At the very least, is it not unreasonable to think that he may not have reached his potential? 

• Like (+1) 1

3 hours ago, Dr.Mantis_Toboggan said:

He’s not coming back, I don’t think he is at all what McDermott is looking for from a starting DE, schematically.

McDermott has always played with a "big end" on one side of his line so I don't think that is true. Schematically I think he fits. He is just upgradeable. 

• Like (+1) 2