What would a Shaq Lawson contract extension look like for the Buffalo Bills?

Shaq takes too much heat around here. People are expecting the sack numbers which I get, but he has matured every season and gotten better. This is definitely a tell tale year for him on the player he’s going to be. Just because he hasn’t “flashed” does not mean this is his peak. It only takes learning one good move to change those sack numbers. Let’s use Charles Johnson for an example from the panthers, that’s my usual comparison for Lawson. Similar kind of players and it took him a bit to make some impact. I won’t cry if they let Shaq walk but I did find it puzzling not to give him the fifth year since there’s really no reason not to other than you just don’t want him around. Not like the money would impact anything for next offseason. 

IF he has a big year his price is ridiculous for another team or us to sign next offseason. Could of had two years at bargain price against one, IF he improved. 

I’ll root for the guy either here or his next team unless he goes to New England 

• Like (+1) 2
  • Awesome! (+1) 1

1 hour ago, billsbackto81 said:

It would "Look" premature.

A little off topic but I don't feel like starting a Thread.

Who was the better player heading into FA?   Shaw Lawson or Preston Brown?

I find them both to be to very similar in the sense that their both serviceable but not spectacular.

I remember an FA article that described Preston as "average in every sense of the word". I think Shaq does certain things above average while others medoicre or below average while as whole I feel like his play is average-solid. Overall though I think I'd pick Shaq. I don't know what others think.

1 hour ago, CuddyDark said:

If I'm Lawson I wouldn't resign with the Bills. I think he's a good player but will never been respected or seen as a good player here, mostly because Bills fans don't understand football or his role. He's not supposed to have ten sacks. People need to get over the sack numbers. Also I think he should go to a 34 team and play one gap 5tech like he did in college.

Yup.  He belongs on a 3-4 team.  That’s what he was drafted to do here.  We have just kept him around because he’s serviceable at a premium position and we’ve needed him.  He’ll go to a team where he fits and is therefore more valuable. 

He's probably going to want 50% more than William Gholston's 2017 deal that worked out to be ~$5.5M AAV.

Since that's the case, Shaq's market value is probably something like $8M AAV.

Of course, it's pointless to talk about it at this time, because what he does in 2019 will affect his value tremendously.

And, of course, we have no idea what's going to happen with the CBA post 2020, so that's got the potential to change the contract landscape significantly as well.

4 hours ago, Rigotz said:

He will play well this year because he seems to be a self-centered guy (based on following his instagram for several years).

Hopefully he plays well so we can trade him for a pick.

There is a zero percent chance we extend him. He doesn't fit in with this regime at all. He's a classic Rex guy.

He will be a free agent after this season. You would have to trade him BEFORE that

• Awesome! (+1) 1

Like a blank piece of paper. I cant see them bringing him back unless he has a big year. Lawson was drafted too high and has never made an impact that is needed at the DE position. Last year he had a slightly better year than his first few in the league but he is an average at best DE.

3 hours ago, CuddyDark said:

If I'm Lawson I wouldn't resign with the Bills. I think he's a good player but will never been respected or seen as a good player here, mostly because Bills fans don't understand football or his role. He's not supposed to have ten sacks. People need to get over the sack numbers. Also I think he should go to a 34 team and play one gap 5tech like he did in college.

There are many posters on this board that understand football, not all of course. Lawson is average by NFL standards but he was definitely drafted too high- not really his fault. He sets the edge well but is a liability in passing situations. He lacks burst and just doesn’t penetrate. We could use an upgrade for sure.

• Like (+1) 2

3 hours ago, CuddyDark said:

I don't believe this is true. I believe Clemson played a base 4-3 defense while Shaq was there. I remember this being a knock on Rex that he overreached for a 4-3 DE to play in his 3-4 defense.

• Like (+1) 1

25 minutes ago, Rocky Landing said:

I don't believe this is true. I believe Clemson played a base 4-3 defense while Shaq was there. I remember this being a knock on Rex that he overreached for a 4-3 DE to play in his 3-4 defense.

What you believe is irrelevant. It's not to difficult to look it up. He played 34 RDE and 34 ROLB for Clemson.

http://www.nfl.com/draft/2016/profiles/shaq-lawson?id=2555252

Clemson played him at 5-­technique and standing up on the outside.

5 hours ago, Rigotz said:

He will play well this year because he seems to be a self-centered guy (based on following his instagram for several years).

Hopefully he plays well so we can trade him for a pick.

There is a zero percent chance we extend him. He doesn't fit in with this regime at all. He's a classic Rex guy.

Trade unlikely as he will hit FA.

Hopefully he plays well and we can make a deal. he is pretty solid. a bit boring perhaps ?

better than C Kelsey though

2 minutes ago, CuddyDark said:

What you believe is irrelevant. It's not to difficult to look it up. He played 34 RDE and 34 ROLB for Clemson.

http://www.nfl.com/draft/2016/profiles/shaq-lawson?id=2555252

Still, Clemson did play a base 4-3.

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/2015_Clemson_Tigers_football_team

Snarkiness not really necessary, although I do realize it is your schtick.

4 hours ago, CuddyDark said:

Point taken.
Rex drafted him for his genius defense. and put him in a role he had not played before

Drafted a seriously injured player.
He looks better in McD 4 -3 for sure and can move inside. played steady last year.
 Kid was behind the 8 ball from the get go.

It sure seems folks are still evaluating him with a bias towards his draft.

try to take a fresh set of eyeballs this year and watch him.

Kid can play football.

but yes,

in his own best interest he should move on. Bills will hopefully create a heavy competition at both RE and LE and or "edge "

1 hour ago, billsfan_34 said:

There are many posters on this board that understand football, not all of course. Lawson is average by NFL standards but he was definitely drafted too high- not really his fault. He sets the edge well but is a liability in passing situations. He lacks burst and just doesn’t penetrate. We could use an upgrade for sure.

solid rotational player ?

1 hour ago, NewEra said:

2 years 8 mill.  4 mill gtd

...declining his 5th was a pretty clear message.....he knows this is "do or die" whether on the FA market or a re-signing opportunity with Bflo....even if he performs as thought to be advertised when drafted, I doubt there will be a long long of suitors to sign him as a UFA......so if you could grab him at your numbers or perhaps 2 years, $10 mil with $5 mil guaranteed as a rotational guy who knows the system, would you pull the trigger?

I would offer him nothing and let him walk to another team.  I would not even care if he went to the Jets, Pats, or Phins as I am not worried about seeing him on the other side of the ball in the future.  Bills just need to realize these players from Clemson seem to under achieve at this level as of late.  Maybe they use them up and spit them out as they all seem to have some sort of nagging injury upon leaving.