Why Ed Oliver didn’t play with the first-team during spring practices

I think it is a good thing that he is on the second team injury or not ! When i heard he had a bit of a blow up with his coach in Houston & had some motivational problems i was hoping that he wouldn't be a prima donna wanna be we don't need that !! 

McD & Frazier need him to know even though he is a talent that he has to earn his playing time like every one else & that nothing is given to him . If they do just insert him into the first team that would go along with the thought process that every one that plays gets a trophy & they don't need that !! 

If he is half the g guy they think he is (& i do too) then he will show his true colors & be the guy !! The only players that should be put on the field are guys like Bruce when he came out those type of players that did what he did in college & go 1st over all need to be on the field ASAP because they are instant impact players !! 

I wasn't aware that there was concern over this. This article makes it seem like fans are freaking out about this, but I haven't seen a single shred of evidence to support that.

• Like (+1) 2

4 hours ago, Boca BIlls said:

Is it sad that some writer thought it needed to be explained?

that's the writer's job, usually well paid for doing this kind of useless stuff

far worse that people spent 15 minutes crafting excuses on here

LOL!   With all due respect, just because it's a hyperlink, it's not anything worth reading.   Should every opinion and thought of TSW posters be given individual URLs so they'll seem more "knowledgeable" and "insightful."...

Edited by Lurker
  • Like (+1) 2

This isnt really a mystery.  Beane said Oliver will have to earn it, and so mystery solved.

They already had Jordan and Harrison there, 2 guys they like.  So they were not going to just hand Oliver the starting reps yet until he proved himself.  Tre and Edmunds were different because there were not really guys who could start ahead of them and were both going to be needed as starters out the gate.  

But I am pretty sure early in camp Oliver will start getting some first unit reps and probably get his first chance to start in the 2nd preseason game as I expect Jordan to likely start the first one.  

Nothing to worry about, unless he comes out and shockingly struggles, Oliver is almost certainly going to be the starter come week 1.

4 hours ago, row_33 said:

Excuses for what?

6 hours ago, T master said:

I think it is a good thing that he is on the second team injury or not ! When i heard he had a bit of a blow up with his coach in Houston & had some motivational problems i was hoping that he wouldn't be a prima donna wanna be we don't need that !! 

McD & Frazier need him to know even though he is a talent that he has to earn his playing time like every one else & that nothing is given to him . If they do just insert him into the first team that would go along with the thought process that every one that plays gets a trophy & they don't need that !! 

If he is half the g guy they think he is (& i do too) then he will show his true colors & be the guy !! The only players that should be put on the field are guys like Bruce when he came out those type of players that did what he did in college & go 1st over all need to be on the field ASAP because they are instant impact players !! 

Oliver will show you he is an instant impact player.

6 hours ago, MJS said:

I wasn't aware that there was concern over this. This article makes it seem like fans are freaking out about this, but I haven't seen a single shred of evidence to support that.

If there is somewhere fans freak out more than here.....I don't want to know about it.

12 hours ago, Tenhigh said:

Nothing is earned?

i stopped and had to think upon that very phrase as well.

perhaps

nothing HAS been earned would be better ?

3 hours ago, formerlyofCtown said:

Oliver will show you he is an instant impact player.

That's the plan isn't it

3 hours ago, KD in CA said:

If there is somewhere fans freak out more than here.....I don't want to know about it.

WTF did you just say to me  !!!!!!!!!!!!!!

just kidding of course KD

luv ya

• Like (+1) 1

10 hours ago, row_33 said:

You think all these bloggers are well paid? 

Lol.

2 hours ago, Ol Dirty B said:

You think all these bloggers are well paid? 

Lol.

And this is just a literally who? on a freaking Fansided fanblog who read a few quotes from the coach and pecked this out. I’d be surprised if this kid is paid at all. This is sub-Bleacher Report **** that should be blacklisted from linking.

To be fair, the kid got dogpiled for being a terrible writer in his comments and he took it like a champ.

• Like (+1) 1

2 hours ago, JoPar_v2 said:

And this is just a literally who? on a freaking Fansided fanblog who read a few quotes from the coach and pecked this out. I’d be surprised if this kid is paid at all. This is sub-Bleacher Report **** that should be blacklisted from linking.

To be fair, the kid got dogpiled for being a terrible writer in his comments and he took it like a champ.

These guys don't make squat. I think it's more about networking, building a resume, or a passion project.

I have no idea why anyone would think these guys are well paid. They aren't. 

Not trying to take anything away from them, I just didn't understand that post at all.

• Like (+1) 1

Personally, I think Harrison Phillips and Ed Oliver will be recognized as one of the most formidable duo's of young interior linemen in the league by season's end. I expect Star and Jordan to be mainly in rotational roles. This defense is gonna be outstanding barring injuries to key players. 

• Awesome! (+1) 1

23 hours ago, billsfanmiami(oh) said:

Where general manager’s Brandon Beane’s phrase du jour is “the process,” similar to the Philadelphia 76ers famous, lengthy rebuild, the coaching staff’s may be “nothing is earned. 

Sorry to be the grammar police but, what a horribly arranged sentence. Also wouldn't it be “everything is earned” or “nothing is given”? 

About to make this comment as well.  The whole article is poorly written clickbait. Yes, I fell for it. 

On 6/20/2019 at 4:13 AM, Cripple Creek said:

Edmunds was, so if White too then this is a teeny tiny bit of a story.  The other 2 first round rookie defenders started from day one.

They did but there was no one else on the roster that was even capable of starting at CB and MLB. It doesn’t matter. DL is always heavily rotated. It doesn’t matter who starts. He will see about half the snaps.

3 hours ago, H2o said:

Personally, I think Harrison Phillips and Ed Oliver will be recognized as one of the most formidable duo's of young interior linemen in the league by season's end. I expect Star and Jordan to be mainly in rotational roles. This defense is gonna be outstanding barring injuries to key players. 

Pump the breaks on Harrison. He hasn't shown anything so far. He doesn't have size/strength to replace Star and the penetrating ability he showed at Stanford was nonexistent last year. He will see the least number of snaps especially if they play Lawson inside from time to time like they did last year year late in the season.

• Awesome! (+1) 1

Ed Oliver is gonna do his share of schlepping luggage for veteran players, as well as not be first on the depth chart initially.  Is this writer really that clueless about time-honored rites of passage for players in the NFL? Slow news day I guess.