Why Ed Oliver didn’t play with the first-team during spring practices

Image result for ed oliver

The Buffalo Bills didn’t play 2019 top-ten pick Ed Oliver with the starters during spring practice, but it may not be a cause for concern.

When the Buffalo Bills selected Ed Oliver at No. 9 overall selection in the 2019 NFL Draft, many assumed the team got their long-term starter at defensive tackle. As a player many compared to Aaron Donald due to his tenacity, aggressiveness, and fleet-footedness, he’s expected to be a difference maker. But, the Bills aren’t giving anything to him.

During rookie minicamp, Oliver was a starter on the defensive line. The same can’t be said for veteran-infused camps and OTAs, as head coach Sean McDermott placed the talented Jordan Phillips as the starter alongside Star Lotulelei during spring practices. Oliver and second-year Harrison Phillips took the second-team duties. Immediately, this caused concern; but it may not be just.

Oliver was dealing with an injury that limited him in practice, a partial reason for his “demotion.” However, the real reason may not be because of an ailment; rather, it’s the coaching staff.

Head coach Sean McDermott, along with defensive coordinator Leslie Frazier has built a certain brand of football in Buffalo. Where general manager’s Brandon Beane’s phrase du jour is “the process,” similar to the Philadelphia 76ers famous, lengthy rebuild, the coaching staff’s may be “nothing is earned.” There is no better example of that than Oliver and his second-team status.

Oliver is the most talented defensive tackle the Bills have; that’s obvious, he’s a freak of nature. But he hasn’t yet earned playing time in Western New York. The idea of placing Phillips, a bit of a second-round bust, proves that. If Oliver wants to win the starting job, he’ll have to do it himself.

https://buffalowdown.com/2019/06/19/buffalo-bills-why-ed-oliver-didnt-practice-with-the-first-team/

Edited by HOUSE
  • Thank you (+1) 1

2 hours ago, Jeetz1231 said:

I think he will be fine. I think it's interesting they said Harrison is "a bit of a second round bust." 

That would be a nice little poll to place on the board.

Is  Jordon Phillips a Bust?  Good luck with that....lol

Edited by HOUSE
  • Haha (+1) 2

On 6/20/2019 at 5:50 AM, Jeetz1231 said:

I think he will be fine. I think it's interesting they said Harrison is "a bit of a second round bust." 

I think they meant, "Jordon Phillips"--do they ever fact check themselves?

Regardless, I think anyone who has paid attention to the Bills the past two years knows this is a non-issue with the way they rotate their d-linemen. All four will receive just about equal playing time, whether called 1st or 2nd team. In their system, being labeled 1st team is probably more of an honor than status.

Oliver's ego may take a small hit, but he'll be seeing plenty of action once the pads go on.

Edited by CSBill
  • Like (+1) 2
  • Thank you (+1) 2

32 minutes ago, Jeetz1231 said:

They didn't mean Harrison Phillips. They are clear that Harrison has been on 2nd team with Oliver. 

The man who has been taking first team reps at 3 tech ahead of Ed Oliver is Jordan Phillips. Who was a 2nd round bust before landing in Buffalo. 

Nothing to see here though. The only one of their picks they have ever inserted straight into the 1s during spring practices in 3 years to my memory is Tre White. 

• Like (+1) 5

1 hour ago, GunnerBill said:

They didn't mean Harrison Phillips. They are clear that Harrison has been on 2nd team with Oliver. 

The man who has been taking first team reps at 3 tech ahead of Ed Oliver is Jordan Phillips. Who was a 2nd round bust before landing in Buffalo. 

Nothing to see here though. The only one of their picks they have ever inserted straight into the 1s during spring practices in 3 years to my memory is Tre White. 

LOL, not true

#1 I didn't know Oliver was injured during OTAs

#2 Phillips is a bust?

#3 Many so called experts have already named Oliver the starter.

#4 My smiling avatar is well worth your time...

Edited by HOUSE

6 minutes ago, Cripple Creek said:

Aside from Edmunds is there a rookie who was the day one (OTA) starter? I know that the sample size is small, maybe Tre'Davious?

yes, I had flashbacks to Lawson's rookie campaign

Tre was. I am not sure Edmunds was, was he? Maybe he was but I thought he only took over as the starter in min camp.

6 minutes ago, HOUSE said:

#2 Phillips is a bust?

Jordan Phillips? Yes. He was a bust in Miami that is why they cut him and he ended up on the Bills.

Where general manager’s Brandon Beane’s phrase du jour is “the process,” similar to the Philadelphia 76ers famous, lengthy rebuild, the coaching staff’s may be “nothing is earned. 

Sorry to be the grammar police but, what a horribly arranged sentence. Also wouldn't it be “everything is earned” or “nothing is given”? 

• Like (+1) 4
  • Thank you (+1) 2

5 minutes ago, GunnerBill said:

Tre was. I am not sure Edmunds was, was he? Maybe he was but I thought he only took over as the starter in min camp.

Edmunds was, so if White too then this is a teeny tiny bit of a story.  The other 2 first round rookie defenders started from day one.

It doesn’t matter in McDs scheme. Yes he must prove himself. I’m sure it’s being used to ground Oliver some to... but it all depends on the game plan, who the Bills are playing.... obviously against a more pass happy team you’ll see Oliver getting a majority of the snap over all the DTs.

At the end of the year Oliver leads the DTs in on field percentage. Maybe the entire DL.... I just hope he keeps a level head and becomes a leader in the next year or two

4 minutes ago, Cripple Creek said:

Edmunds was, so if White too then this is a teeny tiny bit of a story.  The other 2 first round rookie defenders started from day one.

Yea. White definitely did. It is at least somewhat interesting - I agree. But certainly no reason for concern. 

3 minutes ago, Cripple Creek said:

I think there is a mental game being played here....  Tre and Edmunds both are modest mostly laid back guys, guys that know their place. 

Ed Oliver is very head strong, almost arrogant. He’s respectful but can be an “in your face” guy too. Trust me, Ed Oliver doesn’t care he’s a rookie. But he’s gotta learn his role on the team, on the field, in the locker room etc.... that’s gonna ground this kid and help him be part of the process and help him slowly adapt to the level he’s at now. Vs thrown him the keys to the lambo.

• Like (+1) 1