Expect to see a different Trent Murphy in 2019

I saw Murphy play in Washington quite a bit. He clearly wasn't the same player last season, and I wasn't surprised given his injuries in 2017. But if he is really healthy again, he'll be very important for us.

I was hoping this was a good add to our D & i think we saw flashes of it last year the guy just never quits which is a good thing but if your not 100% on the field it can show up but i think this season will show the true player that he is & both Murphy & Hughes will reap the benefit of his health !! 

3 hours ago, badassgixxer05 said:

Ahh, you may be right there. I would have liked to see them draft a backup plan, or a tleast bring in a FA for some competition. They still have some cap space, so may see them bring someone in late camp if Murphy isn't looking so good. Word on the street is that he looks great though. Depth still would be nice to add too either way..

Hughes is getting 11mil and he is only a 6 sack a year guy right now. More to DE then just getting sacks. Trent will set the edge and force a lot of stuff inside to our new flashy toy. All will be well.

In theory it sounds wonderful! We still need to find a bona fide playmaker at DE. Where we get him...who knows!

4 hours ago, badassgixxer05 said:

Ahh, you may be right there. I would have liked to see them draft a backup plan, or a tleast bring in a FA for some competition. They still have some cap space, so may see them bring someone in late camp if Murphy isn't looking so good. Word on the street is that he looks great though. Depth still would be nice to add too either way..

It's a gamble, but maybe not such a huge one. I think a lot of fans are unwilling to account for the effects of injury. They become "excuses" for poor play, instead of "reasons." Murphy is only 28-- far from over the hill. Obviously, he was recovering from, and playing through injury last season. His production before that was stellar. So, the question become: Is he injury prone, or is he fully recovered? Fans tend to be far more apt to assume injury prone, and less willing to accept the possibility of recovery. 

Also, I don't see that there has been a lot of opportunity to improve Murphy's position, so far. Ansah has his own (more current) injury issues, and was likely too expensive. And I don't know of any later round picks that would have been better than what we already have. Maybe there will be an opportunity in the coming months to trade for someone dominant (we can dream of Clowney?), but Murphy at 100% isn't someone we have seen in a Bills uni, other than in these last OTAs, which don't show us much for defensive linemen. I think this is a guy that will be exciting to see once the pads come on.

19 hours ago, Augie said:

Let’s see what he can do when fully healthy. He needed to be physically and mentally ready, and I’ll not judge until after this season. Maybe it was indeed a mistake, and maybe not. I’m not hovering over anyone looking to harp on every single mistake they make at work. THAT would be horrible management. You are judged on the body of your work. Some people don’t understand that. 

This year is what Beane bet upon. He knew what he bought.

Let us All hope he can make Beane look smart. be best for everyone really.

Even my friend Bull  : )

9 hours ago, SoCal Deek said:

The Bills defense was pretty good last year and it had nothing to do with Trent Murphy. The Bills still have plenty of cap space so Murphy hasn’t hurt them there either. So as I see it he’s like a ‘free’ free agent this year. I see no downside here. I’m rooting for the guy to be a surprise addition! Go Bills

Nicely put.

at least he doesn't get migraines...

8 hours ago, badassgixxer05 said:

Hughes is getting 11mil and he is only a 6 sack a year guy right now. More to DE then just getting sacks. Trent will set the edge and force a lot of stuff inside to our new flashy toy. All will be well.

They have quite few DEs.

Lawson comes to mind.

Yarborough might have potential. Mike Love Eli Harold.
 as some have mentioned, next year Bills will know what they have in Lawson and Murphy both. or do not have.
Bills will surely reload that position if it becomes a weakness this year.

• Like (+1) 1

24 minutes ago, 3rdand12 said:

This year is what Beane bet upon. He knew what he bought.

Let us All hope he can make Beane look smart. be best for everyone really.

Even my friend Bull  : )

I absolutely "hope" that it works out, but year after year I see Bills fans hoping that major glaring issues can be hoped away. It's one thing to put a sound and rational plan into place and hope it's finally enough. It's an entirely different thing to throw ***** at the wall and see what sticks. That's my issue with Beane. As much as I like him going out and getting upside guys like Duke Williams and Sills, I just don't see attention to detail paid on players signed to big money contracts or positions of need. Murphy is one of those noodles on the wall.

10 minutes ago, BullBuchanan said:

I absolutely "hope" that it works out, but year after year I see Bills fans hoping that major glaring issues can be hoped away. It's one thing to put a sound and rational plan into place and hope it's finally enough. It's an entirely different thing to throw ***** at the wall and see what sticks. That's my issue with Beane. As much as I like him going out and getting upside guys like Duke Williams and Sills, I just don't see attention to detail paid on players signed to big money contracts or positions of need. Murphy is one of those noodles on the wall.

So he stuck? That’s a good thing! 

18 minutes ago, BullBuchanan said:

I cannot argue that Beane was taking a calculated risk Murphy would never be the same player.
Been a recurring theme for Beane . lets hope they have learned some lessons over time.

I think not chasing down Ansah was a sign of a wiser GM

9 minutes ago, Augie said:

So he stuck? That’s a good thing! 

as long as the gravy is ready eh ?

1 hour ago, oldmanfan said:

I look at Murphy like I do any other guy that was injured.  Hope he comes back healthy and can play at his best level

The position is something they will be better able to pursue next offseason
Hughes aint gettin any younger either.

Am much more concerned about how much the Offense improves this coming season. hope we see some better balance between O and D  talent on the field