Expect to see a different Trent Murphy in 2019

2 minutes ago, BullBuchanan said:

He's being paid a contract as a 10 sack per year guy as he's not. Worse yet, he's not healthy and the Bills either knew that and paid him anyway, or they didn't and they're incompetent. You pick. And at what point did he look "fine" last year?

If you pay for a car over 3 years but you don't get to have it until the second year do you still consider it paying $300 a month? He ate up our cap and wasted a roster spot for a whole season.

Im really starting to realize what the Bull in your name stands for.

• Haha (+1) 3
  • Thank you (+1) 1

7 minutes ago, BullBuchanan said:

He's being paid a contract as a 10 sack per year guy as he's not. Worse yet, he's not healthy and the Bills either knew that and paid him anyway, or they didn't and they're incompetent. You pick. And at what point did he look "fine" last year?

If you pay for a car over 3 years but you don't get to have it until the second year do you still consider it paying $300 a month? He ate up our cap and wasted a roster spot for a whole season.

Because You don't predict future results off of statistical outliers. If you take away his one big contract year you get an average of 3.33 sacks per year. If you don't want to do that because it was a real season he played in where he got 9 sacks, you end up with Albert Haynesworth.

The kid just isn't starting material.

Trey Flowers is getting 18 mil a year after a 7.5 sack season.

4 minutes ago, BullBuchanan said:

Still hoping for an original thought. Don't live down to my expectations.

Youve obviously come up with some original math.  Who was you math teacher?  Nancy Pelosi?

• Like (+1) 1

1 minute ago, BullBuchanan said:

Still hoping for an original thought. Don't live down to my expectations.

Let’s see what he can do when fully healthy. He needed to be physically and mentally ready, and I’ll not judge until after this season. Maybe it was indeed a mistake, and maybe not. I’m not hovering over anyone looking to harp on every single mistake they make at work. THAT would be horrible management. You are judged on the body of your work. Some people don’t understand that. 

• Like (+1) 1

Just now, formerlyofCtown said:

Consistency and availability. He put up 7, 6.5, 7.5 and I'm sure if he's getting that based on a lot of tape and analytics showing he's capable of far more.

Meanwhile Trent has 2.5, 3.5, 9, and 4 and happened to be 2 years older at the time of his deal with one year less of league inflation.

I'm not saying that $18 for Flowers isn't outrageous, as I think it is, but he's also a vastly superior talent. Kinda Apples/Oranges.

4 minutes ago, formerlyofCtown said:

Youve obviously come up with some original math.  Who was you math teacher?  Nancy Pelosi?

It’s hard to argue with people who have made up their minds and won’t listen to reason. Was it value last year? No, probably not. Let’s see how it plays out. 

• Like (+1) 2

2 minutes ago, BullBuchanan said:

Consistency and availability. He put up 7, 6.5, 7.5 and I'm sure if he's getting that based on a lot of tape and analytics showing he's capable of far more.

Meanwhile Trent has 2.5, 3.5, 9, and 4 and happened to be 2 years older at the time of his deal with one year less of league inflation.

I'm not saying that $18 for Flowers isn't outrageous, as I think it is, but he's also a vastly superior talent. Kinda Apples/Oranges.

9 before the injury is the important one.

I disagree, he just wasnt coming off a major injury.  If Murphy really is 100% the Treys numbers wont be as good and hes making more than twice as much.

Edited by formerlyofCtown

Just now, formerlyofCtown said:

9 before the injury is the important one.

I'll happily take 4 if you think he'll hit 9 sacks again. Do you think they'd push so hard for Ziggy Ansah just to be a rotational player if they actually believed Murphy was who they thought he was?

3 minutes ago, BullBuchanan said:

I'll happily take 4 if you think he'll hit 9 sacks again. Do you think they'd push so hard for Ziggy Ansah just to be a rotational player if they actually believed Murphy was who they thought he was?

You always look to get better. On any given day, at any position. 

12 minutes ago, BullBuchanan said:

Because You don't predict future results off of statistical outliers. If you take away his one big contract year you get an average of 3.33 sacks per year. If you don't want to do that because it was a real season he played in where he got 9 sacks, you end up with Albert Haynesworth.

The kid just isn't starting material.

10 sack a year DEs don't get paid only 7-9 million a year.

Demarcus Lawrence has exactly 2 years of 10+ sack production out of 5 years and got 5 yrs, 105 million and 65 million guaranteed.

Trent Murphy had one year of 9.0 sack production in three years and got 3 years and 21 million.

It is in line.

We agree, chasing players with significant injury histories and one or two years of production is not ideal.

But making it sound like the Bills 'broke the bank' on this guy is equally ridiculous. He is a 'roll the dice' type of player.

The Bills had more money than FAs willing to sign the year the deal was made. They still have @ $50 million next year.

A team has to spend to a minimum, so why not roll the dice.

I'm not a fan of the signing, but I understand why it was done, and I wish him well this year.

15 minutes ago, formerlyofCtown said:

Common Core obviously....

• Like (+1) 1
  • Haha (+1) 1

30 minutes ago, BullBuchanan said:

Believe it or not he hit 4 last year.

I see 6-8 this year, if healthy

that is the big if

Ziggy is washed up, and has a lot more issues IMO.

Edited by RocCityRoller

5 hours ago, BullBuchanan said:

They obviously didnt push to hard, he didnt sign here now did he.

22 hours ago, Happy Gilmore said:

McD put a lot of his eggs in the Murphy basket, which could end badly.  Though I hope Trent is the edge/DE they envisioned he'd be because the Bills need it.

6 years 100 million. Now that was all the eggs in the Williams basket. 3 years 21 million is like a couple peeps in the Murphy basket?‍♀️. If he has a good year that will be a good discount. If not, no one will remember or even care about the signing/contract after next year...

Edited by badassgixxer05
  • Like (+1) 1

Give Murphy one more year...no excuses now. We need help and production from the edge. Lets see what he can do. I don't feel he is any long term solution anyway. The Bills will be addressing this in the near future.

The Bills defense was pretty good last year and it had nothing to do with Trent Murphy. The Bills still have plenty of cap space so Murphy hasn’t hurt them there either. So as I see it he’s like a ‘free’ free agent this year. I see no downside here. I’m rooting for the guy to be a surprise addition! Go Bills

41 minutes ago, Rocket94 said:

Give Murphy one more year...no excuses now. We need help and production from the edge. Lets see what he can do. I don't feel he is any long term solution anyway. The Bills will be addressing this in the near future.

No they should just cut him now because of last year. :rolleyes:

Just now, Doc said:

No they should just cut him now because of last year. :rolleyes:

Well, I felt the same way myself not long ago...but if we can squeeze some production from him why not? The DE position concerns me the most.

1 hour ago, badassgixxer05 said:

6 years 100 million. Now that was all the eggs in the Williams basket. 3 years 21 million is like a couple peeps in the Murphy basket?‍♀️. If he has a good year that will be a good discount. If not, no one will remember or even care about the signing/contract after next year...

It Isn't financial as much as it is positional commitment.  The F.O. did not really address the DE/edge position this offseason.  Given Murphy's health track record, that is a big gamble.

3 minutes ago, Happy Gilmore said:

It Isn't financial as much as it is positional commitment.  The F.O. did not really address the DE/edge position this offseason.  Given Murphy's health track record, that is a big gamble.

Ahh, you may be right there. I would have liked to see them draft a backup plan, or a tleast bring in a FA for some competition. They still have some cap space, so may see them bring someone in late camp if Murphy isn't looking so good. Word on the street is that he looks great though. Depth still would be nice to add too either way..

10 hours ago, BullBuchanan said:

He's being paid a contract as a 10 sack per year guy as he's not.

Hughes is getting 11mil and he is only a 6 sack a year guy right now. More to DE then just getting sacks. Trent will set the edge and force a lot of stuff inside to our new flashy toy. All will be well.