Expect to see a different Trent Murphy in 2019

6 hours ago, WideNine said:

A good test for the Bills' medical staff and state of the art strength and rehab facilities.

Wish him well...there were some PEDs issues too I believe.

The PEDs thing to me seemed more related to the Redskins mismanaging his role than anything else.

Selected as an outside linebacker they moved him to end and he had to put on 30 lbs for the role and he performed well playing there.

Injuries to their linebacker Galette had them asking him to switch back to linebacker and asked to cut weight and I think he was looking for an edge to help with that.

Either way if he comes back and can anchor that right side and get some push, it is not a bad gamble.

nice addition to the backstory Wide.

Looks like Bills feel pretty good with him this year. lets hope they are correct.
Murphy has skills that is for sure

• Thank you (+1) 1

8 hours ago, MakeBuffaloGreatAgain said:

I just hope a different Trent Murphy is better than a different Danny Batten... remember that, when he came in with that new attitude? 

I actually think Trent will be very good this year...

I remember when the Bills drafted him (because Antonio Brown didn't answer their phone call.......Batten was Billsy).

In the opener vs San Diego last year I paid a lot of attention to him, because I was skeptical.

I thought he had a good game. A few tackles, a stuff, a pressure or two.

He showed a nice complimentary quickness off the edge to Hughes.

I don't know if I buy in, but he has the ability. Unfortunately he rarely has the most important ability, availability.

Wishing him well this year. It would help Hughes and Lorax, and the DTs.

• Like (+1) 1

6 hours ago, Hapless Bills Fan said:

I dunno about that.  Someone posted info at one point about the gym where Murphy trains, and it's centered towards pro bodybuilders and kind of known as a steroid gym.

Maybe he's changed training centers since then, I hope so

Me too. Plenty if those places are run by hacks.

There is a lot of good reputable university programs for exercise and sports science these days. 

I am sure the Bills have a few qualified resources on their training staff.

Well, at this point they're paying him $11 million dollars a year, so he damn well better be less useless than he has been. This is easily the worst signing of their tenure. This guy should have been on a one year-vet minimum prove-it deal, but leave it to Beane to pay the max. If he was on a one-year deal last season he'd be unsigned right now.

Edited by BullBuchanan

12 hours ago, Happy Gilmore said:

Not so much contract dollar wise, but more position wise.  They drafted a DE/edge in the fifth round, which I don't think really addresses the need in the position; to me that is more depth than starter potential.  With the articles about Murphy supposedly looking better this year and the ACL injury behind him, it seems that they expect Trent to be a force this season.

Because we got two guys where we need to see what we have.

29 minutes ago, BullBuchanan said:

Well, at this point they're paying him $11 million dollars a year, so he damn well better be less useless than he has been. This is easily the worst signing of their tenure. This guy should have been on a one year-vet minimum prove-it deal, but leave it to Beane to pay the max. If he was on a one-year deal last season he'd be unsigned right now.

Its one season dude and everyone knew he was recovering from an injury.  That would be why we got him so cheap.  There are risks when you look for a bargain.

33 minutes ago, BullBuchanan said:

Wow....

https://www.spotrac.com/nfl/buffalo-bills/cap/

Trent Murphy's total cap hit is 8.7 million. Dead cap is 6.5 million.

How do you inflate it to 11 million?

Do you work for CNN?

Edited by RocCityRoller

1 hour ago, WideNine said:

Me too. Plenty if those places are run by hacks.

There is a lot of good reputable university programs for exercise and sports science these days. 

I am sure the Bills have a few qualified resources on their training staff.

Good hopefully he doesnt get caught.  Its his body that got injured and its his body he is be trying to rebuild.  Not the NFLs or the governments.

2 minutes ago, formerlyofCtown said:

Because we got two guys where we need to see what we have.

Its one season dude and everyone knew he was recovering from an injury.  That would be why we got him so cheap.  There are risks when you look for a bargain.

Cheap? In what world is $7.5 million dollars for a guy that couldn't play, who averages 4.5 sacks a year, cheap?

They got baited hard and everyone else is laughing at them.

Just now, RocCityRoller said:

Wow....

https://www.spotrac.com/nfl/buffalo-bills/cap/

Trent Murphy's total cap hit is 8.7 million. Dead cap is 6.5 million.

How do you inflate it to 11 million?

Do you work for CNN?

Well we paid him 7.5 million to not play last year. It might even be worse by the time he misses half of this season. Want me to break it down per snap?

Just now, BullBuchanan said:

Cheap? In what world is $7.5 million dollars for a guy that couldn't play, who averages 4.5 sacks a year, cheap?

They got baited hard and everyone else is laughing at them.

And if he puts up 8-10 sacks this season are you going to admit that youre an idiot and that other posters are laughing at you.?  I think he is a good player if he stays healthy.  It was a gamble and still may pay off.

• Like (+1) 1

Just now, formerlyofCtown said:

And if he puts up 8-10 sacks this season are you going to admit that youre an idiot and that other posters are laughing at you.?  I think he is a good player if he stays healthy.  It was a gamble and still may pay off.

I will absolutely do that. There's an approaching zero percent chance that happens. He's a 28 year old one year wonder. So far the bills have paid him over $500k per tackle. Killer ROI. 

1 minute ago, BullBuchanan said:

Well we paid him 7.5 million to not play last year. It might even be worse by the time he misses half of this season. Want me to break it down per snap?

that is sunk money, it's gone

he looked fine when available last year

I'm not a fan of signing players with an injury history. (Kroft, Murphy etc) but tell the facts.

Pulling numbers out of thin air is for amateurs.

Trent Murphy was signed to a mid level DE contract. Trent Murphy failed in year one relative to his pay.

He was also coming off of a bad injury.

Trent Murphy's cap hit is 6.5 should Buffalo cut him, it's 8.7 million should they keep him.

What do you think DEs that can get 6-10 sacks a year go for?

He needs to be better this year. If in camp he can not, cut him, or sit him on IR, pay him this year, free up space and bring in the next man up.

I wanted Winovich or Fergusen bad in the draft for just this reason.

I'm no Murphy fan boy, but he looked good when available, and is not breaking the bank.

9 minutes ago, BullBuchanan said:

I will absolutely do that. There's an approaching zero percent chance that happens. He's a 28 year old one year wonder. So far the bills have paid him over $500k per tackle. Killer ROI. 

He has already done it in his career.  So please tell me how you came to your percentage.  Id really like that info.  Aaron Donald gets over 1 mil per sack I believe.

Edited by formerlyofCtown

1 minute ago, RocCityRoller said:

that is sunk money, it's gone

he looked fine when available last year

I'm not a fan of signing players with an injury history. (Kroft, Murphy etc) but tell the facts.

Pulling numbers out of thin air is for amateurs.

Trent Murphy was signed to a mid level DE contract. Trent Murphy failed in year one relative to his pay.

He was also coming off of a bad injury.

Trent Murphy's cap hit is 6.5 should Buffalo cut him, it's 8.7 million should they keep him.

What do you think DEs that can get 6-10 sacks a year go for?

He needs to be better this year. If in camp he can not, cut him, or sit him on IR, pay him this year, free up space and bring in the next man up.

I wanted Winovich or Fergusen bad in the draft for just this reason.

I'm no Murphy fan boy, but he looked good when available, and is not breaking the bank.

He's being paid a contract as a 10 sack per year guy as he's not. Worse yet, he's not healthy and the Bills either knew that and paid him anyway, or they didn't and they're incompetent. You pick. And at what point did he look "fine" last year?

If you pay for a car over 3 years but you don't get to have it until the second year do you still consider it paying $300 a month? He ate up our cap and wasted a roster spot for a whole season.

Just now, formerlyofCtown said:

He has already done it in his career.  So please tell me how you came to your percentage.  Id really like that info.

Because You don't predict future results off of statistical outliers. If you take away his one big contract year you get an average of 3.33 sacks per year. If you don't want to do that because it was a real season he played in where he got 9 sacks, you end up with Albert Haynesworth.

The kid just isn't starting material.