Expect to see a different Trent Murphy in 2019

5 minutes ago, WideNine said:

A good test for the Bills' medical staff and state of the art strength and rehab facilities.

Wish him well...there were some PEDs issues too I believe.

The PEDs thing to me seemed more related to the Redskins mismanaging his role than anything else.

Selected as an outside linebacker they moved him to end and he had to put on 30 lbs for the role and he performed well playing there.

Injuries to their linebacker Galette had them asking him to switch back to linebacker and asked to cut weight and I think he was looking for an edge to help with that.

Either way if he comes back and can anchor that right side and get some push, it is not a bad gamble.

Maybe he thought about retiring...

3 hours ago, Happy Gilmore said:

Not so much contract dollar wise, but more position wise.  They drafted a DE/edge in the fifth round, which I don't think really addresses the need in the position; to me that is more depth than starter potential.  With the articles about Murphy supposedly looking better this year and the ACL injury behind him, it seems that they expect Trent to be a force this season.

Yes, I think that's a fair point - not "eggs in the basket" in terms of cap tied up, but in terms of contributions expected.

I'm concerned that he's a guy who put his livelihood into the steroid basket, so to speak.  And those guys typically struggle to come back.

I have been saying this offseason that I think Trent will turn some heads and surprise his detractors...as long as he stays healthy.  So I agree with this article and think he could be in store of a good season.  Biggest concern for me is him staying healthy. 

1 hour ago, WideNine said:

A good test for the Bills' medical staff and state of the art strength and rehab facilities.

Wish him well...there were some PEDs issues too I believe.

The PEDs thing to me seemed more related to the Redskins mismanaging his role than anything else.

I dunno about that.  Someone posted info at one point about the gym where Murphy trains, and it's centered towards pro bodybuilders and kind of known as a steroid gym.

Maybe he's changed training centers since then, I hope so

2 minutes ago, Hapless Bills Fan said:

Yes, I think that's a fair point - not "eggs in the basket" in terms of cap tied up, but in terms of contributions expected.

I'm concerned that he's a guy who put his livelihood into the steroid basket, so to speak.  And those guys typically struggle to come back.

Right.  This is why I lean toward expecting the defensive line to struggle a bit, at least early on in the season.  Murphy may not live up to expectations, Lawson is 50/50, then there is not much else at DE save Hughes.  I suspect Oliver will need some time to adjust to professional guards and centers and may not "live in the backfield" initially.  Pressure will be on McD and Frazier to make adjustments; I don't think they will be able to rely on a four man rush to get pressure on the passer.

• Like (+1) 1

3 hours ago, Boca BIlls said:

He didn't put many eggs in Murphy's basket actually.

Trent has a very small contract compared to others, and they can release him next year with almost no dead cap if he doesn't work out.

While I don't think his contract is crippling or anything, it's pretty big relative to the roster.  3 years, $22.5M with the 5th biggest cap hit on the team this season and next.  If he's cut he'd have dead money of $6.5M this off-season or $1.75M next.  Again, it's not an enormous contract, but it isn't small either.  This is definitely a make or break year for Murphy.  We need him to play well.  It's important for him too because he won't see the last year of his deal if he doesn't.  

2 minutes ago, BarleyNY said:

While I don't think his contract is crippling or anything, it's pretty big relative to the roster.  3 years, $22.5M with the 5th biggest cap hit on the team this season and next.  If he's cut he'd have dead money of $6.5M this off-season or $1.75M next.  Again, it's not an enormous contract, but it isn't small either.  This is definitely a make or break year for Murphy.  We need him to play well.  It's important for him too because he won't see the last year of his deal if he doesn't.  

You don't go against the roster you just look at the other DEs in the league. It is a very small contract and $1.75m is nothing in the grand scheme of things if they let him go next year.

Edited by Boca BIlls

4 hours ago, Boca BIlls said:

He didn't put many eggs in Murphy's basket actually.

Trent has a very small contract compared to others, and they can release him next year with almost no dead cap if he doesn't work out.

Yep....I wish ppl would stop saying untrue ***** when it comes to Beane's contracts.......this is what a well run organization looks like

2 hours ago, Boca BIlls said:

You don't go against the roster you just look at the other DEs in the league. It is a very small contract and $1.75m is nothing in the grand scheme of things if they let him go next year.

You were underselling the situation by a fair bit.  You wrote that he has a “very small contract compared to others” and that he could be released next year with “almost no dead cap”.  That wasn’t accurate so I provided details.  

Also a player’s contract is important in BOTH contexts - relative to players at the same position around the league and to the other players on his own team.  He’s got cap hits that will be around 4.6% of the total league cap this year and next.  That’s significant.  He’s got the 5th highest on the team and 33rd among edge players in the league.  Also significant (not “very small”).  The $1.75M hit if cut next offseason matters. It isn’t that bad, but it’s not “nothing“.  Players get cut for less than that all the time.  Again, in no sense is this some horrible albatross of a contract, but it isn’t nothing either.

2 hours ago, Hapless Bills Fan said:

I dunno about that.  Someone posted info at one point about the gym where Murphy trains, and it's centered towards pro bodybuilders and kind of known as a steroid gym.

Maybe he's changed training centers since then, I hope so

The positive PED test worried me more than the injury - and the injury did worry me. Not only is he looking at a year long suspension if he tests positive again, there’s also the risk that he won’t return to form without juicing again. I remember Shawn Merriman oscillating between Pro Bowls and below average play after testing positive.  I hope Murphy doesn’t need them and plays big for us this year, but I worry.  We don’t have anyone else to give us a pass rush opposite Hughes. 

8 hours ago, JoshAllenHasBigHands said:

Isn't it king of strange that as fans we never think about these guys being injured? I mean, sure, we talk about injuries that keep guys off the field.  But, for whatever reason, we never talk about how a nagging injury may be affecting the level of play. Why is that? 

My son tore his ACL and MCL in spring ball after freshman year. He had surgery 6/24 and was back on a basketball court for a Thanksgiving Day tournament. That’s only 5 months. CRAZY! He was playing, but he wasn’t nearly himself. He “could play” but he couldn’t trust it. It took well over a year before he could play without thinking of it. By his senior year in football he was first team all area with colleges calling on him weekly. It’s partly physical, and incredibly mental. 

• Like (+1) 1

7 hours ago, mushypeaches said:

I'm not expecting much from Murphy and am already in the camp of whatever production we get is a bonus.  Could also see him with a chance to not even make the final 53 if McBeane sees something in other players and they can save some $

First he will make the 53 - that he would not makes zero sense.

Just to understand, a player can not get better year to year or return to form.  Not true but interesting.