Expect to see a different Trent Murphy in 2019

35 minutes ago, JoshAllenHasBigHands said:

Isn't it king of strange that as fans we never think about these guys being injured? I mean, sure, we talk about injuries that keep guys off the field.  But, for whatever reason, we never talk about how a nagging injury may be affecting the level of play. Why is that? 

I don't know for sure, but in my experience in interacting on these kinds of boards, it seems a lot of fans don't care for excuses. "Your head fell off in a terrible smelting accident? Pff, cut him, he's useless!" I dunno, some people can be kinda heartless and not even really see players as human beings. This why I've never been keen on picking apart someone's game and trying to point out and nitpick what they don't do that well. I'm over here on a friggin' couch with one season of JV football under my belt, what the crap do I know? Stuff happens. Most of these guys play at less than 100% throughout the entire year. And some of them go to extreme measures to make sure they stay on the field. I remember reading a story back in the day about Jason Taylor, had a wicked back injury and the only way he could sleep was standing up, leaning against a wall. He'd get like 20 minutes and then walk around to loosen up his back and then try again to sleep. All so he could suit up and play on Sunday. It's pretty crazy what these dudes go through. 

• Thank you (+1) 1

39 minutes ago, JoshAllenHasBigHands said:

Isn't it king of strange that as fans we never think about these guys being injured? I mean, sure, we talk about injuries that keep guys off the field.  But, for whatever reason, we never talk about how a nagging injury may be affecting the level of play. Why is that? 

Excellent point.   We just think "he's good; whoops, now he's injured; now he's back and he should be exactly as he was."   

For athletes at this level, when you're at 100% you can play in the league; when you're at 95% you're out, because it's hard to be better at 95% than other guys at 100%.   So when a guy comes back from serious injury, he may come back at 95% and over the course of as much as a year get up to 97% and not get back to 99% until the following year.   A lot of guys never get all the way back physically, but some of those learn to adjust their games so that they're still competitive in the league.   For many it's a multi-year process.   It's silly to expect players to come back, walk onto the field and immediately be the same guy he was.  

The guys with real heart apply themselves, learn more, sometimes compensate for what they've lost physically with a good mental approach to the game.   It isn't so much an injury story, but it's kind of amazing that after so long in the league Lorenzo Alexander grew into an impact player.  

And, of course, some guys never get back to a point that resembles what they once showed.   And some other guys do get back, but back as journeymen, not real impact players.  

This is probably the year we find out about Trent - impact player, journeyman, or can't get it done.

• Like (+1) 1

This is the time of year that optimism abounds. But, it's entirely plausible that both Trent and Shaq take a step forward this season. 

We have yet to see a 100% Trent Murphy in a Bills uni. There's plenty of reasons to be hopeful that this season we might. As far as Shaq goes, he has (albeit slowly) been getting better every year. Has he reached his ceiling? Perhaps not.

I could see Murphy and Shaq being a very effect rotation.  

• Like (+1) 2

Players routinely come back from ACL injuries in less than a year and are fairly productive soon after they hit the field.  There are some exceptions.  Tod Gurley has developed an arthritic knee as a consequence of a college ACL.  It's probably going to affect him the rest of his career.  An ACL in conjunction with an MCL is a different animal.  I can see where recover would be longer and prone to more bumps in the road.  Let's hope he's past that point now.

16 minutes ago, mushypeaches said:

I'm not expecting much from Murphy and am already in the camp of whatever production we get is a bonus.  Could also see him with a chance to not even make the final 53 if McBeane sees something in other players and they can save some $

Murphy would have to take a major step back for that to happen, or someone else (Shaq?) would have to take a major step forward. Neither seems likely.

Top 10 in league in total sacks by team was 44 or more in '18. Bills had 36. Sacks broke down this way for them:

D Line: 20 (Hughes 7, K Williams 5, Lawson & Murphy 4 each)

L. Alexander (hybrid LB/edge): 6.5

Other LBs: 4

DBs: 5.5

Blueprint  to get to top 10:

DL: 27

Alexander: 5

Other LBs:  7

DBs: 6

I think that is very possible. Good years from Hughes, Murphy Oliver and Lawson get them to 27 easily. 

1 hour ago, Doc said:

Well yeah, that was the point of the article. 

#1 I didn’t read the article

#2 I don’t expect much from Murphy in 2019 even though the title suggests to “expect to see a different Murphy”

# 3 is this making sense now or do I need to explain further?

#4 deeznutz

1 hour ago, Happy Gilmore said:

Right, I agree, and that is probably what they'll do.  It looks like the plan this season is to roll with what they got on the roster right now.

well, the draft and free agency is over so....not many major moves you can make. They feel confident about Murphy being healthy

27 minutes ago, HuSeYiN_NYC said:

#2 I don’t expect much from Murphy in 2019 even though the title suggests to “expect to see a different Murphy”

#4 deeznutz

No, #1 explains it all.

36 minutes ago, HuSeYiN_NYC said:

#4 deeznutz

Clap off

• Haha (+1) 1

A good test for the Bills' medical staff and state of the art strength and rehab facilities.

Wish him well...there were some PEDs issues too I believe.

The PEDs thing to me seemed more related to the Redskins mismanaging his role than anything else.

Selected as an outside linebacker they moved him to end and he had to put on 30 lbs for the role and he performed well playing there.

Injuries to their linebacker Galette had them asking him to switch back to linebacker and asked to cut weight and I think he was looking for an edge to help with that.

Either way if he comes back and can anchor that right side and get some push, it is not a bad gamble.

57 minutes ago, jwhit34 said:

Top 10 in league in total sacks by team was 44 or more in '18. Bills had 36. Sacks broke down this way for them:

D Line: 20 (Hughes 7, K Williams 5, Lawson & Murphy 4 each)

L. Alexander (hybrid LB/edge): 6.5

Other LBs: 4

DBs: 5.5

Blueprint  to get to top 10:

DL: 27

Alexander: 5

Other LBs:  7

DBs: 6

I think that is very possible. Good years from Hughes, Murphy Oliver and Lawson get them to 27 easily. 

Would it be asking too much to have all 27 of those be against Brady?

Edited by MikeSpeed