Expect to see a different Trent Murphy in 2019

DE Trent Murphy is now healthy and a completely different player, according to the Buffalo Bills coaching staff.

The Buffalo Bills must’ve been aware of the risks that came from signing Trent Murphy to a three-year, $21 million deal in 2018. Up to that point, the defensive end hadn’t played in an NFL game in over a year, as he was recovering from an ACL and MCL tear that forced him out of 2017. In 2016, he tallied 9.5 sacks, 46 total tackles, 25 QB hits, 55 pressures, and ten tackles for loss. His prior production and age (now 28) were enough to warrant the high price tag.

Before the start of the 2018 season, many were on the fence determining his worth to the Bills. By seasons end, many remained unmoved. Murphy’s rust was all too apparent while injuries to his ankle, groin, knee surfaced. But, when he saw the field (13 games, ten starts), flashes of his prior dominance prevailed.

Then at mandatory minicamps, head coach Sean McDermott added to the praise from Leslie, stating Murphy’s mental space as a reason for improvement:

Image result for trent murphy

[Murphy] just looks like he’s in a different mental space. Another year removed from where he was last year when we first got him here. —  He is a big part of what we plan to do and affecting the quarterback and I just really appreciate what he brings to the table.

McDermott mentions that the team has big plans for Murphy in 2019, and for a good reason. Before being lost to injuries, Murphy was among the NFL’s most promising edge rushers. In Washington, his high-effort play and versatility helped him flourish as a hand in the dirt or standup pass-rusher and edge setter.

https://buffalowdown.com/2019/06/18/buffalo-bills-expect-to-see-a-different-trent-murphy-in-2019/

Edited by HOUSE
  • Like (+1) 2
  • Awesome! (+1) 4
  • Thank you (+1) 2

38 minutes ago, Happy Gilmore said:

McD put a lot of his eggs in the Murphy basket, which could end badly.  Though I hope Trent is the edge/DE they envisioned he'd be because the Bills need it.

He didn't put many eggs in Murphy's basket actually.

Trent has a very small contract compared to others, and they can release him next year with almost no dead cap if he doesn't work out.

Edited by Boca BIlls
  • Like (+1) 6
  • Thank you (+1) 1

16 minutes ago, Boca BIlls said:

He didn't put many eggs in Murphy's basket actually.

Trent has a very small contract compared to others, and they can release him next year with almost no dead cap if he doesn't work out.

Not so much contract dollar wise, but more position wise.  They drafted a DE/edge in the fifth round, which I don't think really addresses the need in the position; to me that is more depth than starter potential.  With the articles about Murphy supposedly looking better this year and the ACL injury behind him, it seems that they expect Trent to be a force this season.

8 minutes ago, Happy Gilmore said:

Not so much contract dollar wise, but more position wise.  They drafted a DE/edge in the fifth round, which I don't think really addresses the need in the position; to me that is more depth than starter potential.  With the articles about Murphy supposedly looking better this year and the ACL injury behind him, it seems that they expect Trent to be a force this season.

They can get one next year. Defense was fine with a bad Trent Murphy last season so if he doesn't work out you won't notice any drop-off and they can get a new one next year.

Edited by Boca BIlls

1 minute ago, Boca BIlls said:

They can get one next year.

Right, I agree, and that is probably what they'll do.  It looks like the plan this season is to roll with what they got on the roster right now.

The main reason I would love to see Murphy improve this year and our D Line become dominant is because Tom Brady has won 11% of all Super Bowls played. 

Long term, I want the Bills to win. Short term, I would love to see Mr Brady put in the dirt. 

• Awesome! (+1) 1

Murphy getting 8-10 sacks this year would go a long way toward improving the Bills pass rush. If he could meet his vast potential, paired with the recent contract extension of Jerry Hughes, it would put the Bills in decent to good shape for the next couple years, in terms of pass rush.

Even so, they need to (and likely will) invest high draft picks into the position next offseason, as well as probably spending some free agency dollars.

The only thing that can vastly change both the short AND long term outlook at the EDGE position is if Shaq Lawson suddenly breaks out and becomes a 10+ sack-per-year guy. Now THAT would be something.

• Like (+1) 1

14 minutes ago, HuSeYiN_NYC said:

I don’t expect much from Murphy based on what I’ve seen from him in a Bills unit so far but, I’m a Bills fan and I’m all about “the process” so I got my trust in McD and will be rooting for Murphy to ball out...

Well yeah, that was the point of the article.