Rob Gronkowski makes massive donation to Buffalo children's hospital

30 minutes ago, JohnC said:

As was stated by Gug Gronk did not have a history of dirty play. Instead, he was usually the victim of dirty play throughout his career. He lost his composure and could have seriously hurt White on the play. Fortunately, White did not get seriously injured. He was ultimately suspended for that reckless play. The disciplinary system worked as it was supposed to. 

I'm not giving Gronk a pass on that play. But it isn't fair to allow that one play to represent how he usually played the game. In addition,  I'm not going to sneer, as others have done, at his generous donation. 

Finally, a voice of reason.

38 minutes ago, jimmy10 said:

$50k gift from a guy with that much money is what’s known as a “go away” gift. 

If you make a $50 or $500 gift to anything worthwhile, I hope nobody disparages that contribution on your behalf. 

26 minutes ago, Augie said:

No, one happened during a play in a heated game. The other required a trip to go visit someone with a knife and gloves. Don’t embarrass yourself. I am NOT excusing Gronk, but take a step back and review. 

I don’t get why doing it anonymously makes it better. How many college buildings or fields are named after families? It’s almost like you LOSE points for making it public. That’s just wrong. Be generous, and appreciate those who are generous. 

If you don’t want to like or appreciate him or his gift, that’s fine. Nobody asked for that. 

No, you are excusing Gronk. That is exactly what you’re doing... you are making an excuse for his abhorrent act, so you are excusing him. Calling it, the heat of the moment... kinda like a crime of passion. 

You’re making excuses for a scumbag who tried to deliberately end the career of a young player whose biggest fault that game was playing aggressive bump and run. You are making an excuse for him, admit it. Because that’s literally what you did... you made an excuse for why Gronks act wasn’t “that” bad. 

Gronk: 6’6”  280

Tre: 5’11” 190

Takes a big man to dive with all his body weight onto the back neck of a MUCH smaller rookie and try to cripple him. Gronk is a scumbag through and through. 

5 hours ago, RobbRiddick said:

His former owner gave someone less fortunate a massive load of his own and got nothing but criticism

At his age, I doubt it was a massive load. More like a drop in the bucket.

• Haha (+1) 1

1 minute ago, MakeBuffaloGreatAgain said:

No, you are excusing Gronk. That is exactly what you’re doing... you are making an excuse for his abhorrent act, so you are excusing him. Calling it, the heat of the moment... kinda like a crime of passion. 

You’re making excuses for a scumbag who tried to deliberately end the career of a young player whose biggest fault that game was playing aggressive bump and run. You are making an excuse for him, admit it. Because that’s literally what you did... you made an excuse for why Gronks act wasn’t “that” bad. 

Well that’s just silly! I made no excuses. I said it was horribly wrong. I was drawing a distinction. 

You say he “tried to deliberately end the career” of Tre. How do you know what was in his mind? Certainly frustration and maybe rage. End his career? You KNOW that? In the heat of the moment? 

Don’t embarrass yourself further by trying to equate a dirty play on a football field with a double homicide. 

4 hours ago, Gugny said:

I know I'm in the minority, but I've always thought that Rob Gronkowski was what was RIGHT for football.  Talented, fun and clean.  The White hit was terrible; but it was an isolated incident for which I refuse to label him.

He's a great dude.

Ok, lets go with that! OJ was a great dude, outside of a single indiscretion.

Edited by TYSONKO1
  • Haha (+1) 1

21 minutes ago, MakeBuffaloGreatAgain said:

Takes a big man to dive with all his body weight onto the back neck of a MUCH smaller rookie and try to cripple him. Gronk is a scumbag through and through. 

It wasn't pretty, but saying he tried to end a career is a little much. Sure he tried to f him up, but end his caree? Nah.

1 hour ago, jimmy10 said:

$50k gift from a guy with that much money is what’s known as a “go away” gift. 

I will likewise nominate you to donate $50 or go away

im not giving the guy the key to the city or throwing a parade but the dude just paid for a nurse for a year. Or some new equipment. To help sick kids in buffalo. Good for him and I’d gladly shake his hand and say thanks for it, despite his history playing football against Buffalo 

3 hours ago, The Senator said:

So I take that had he broken White’s neck and left him in a Kevin Everett condition, Gronk would not be a great guy, but since White can still walk, Gronk’s a helluva great dude?

Are you related to him?

I'm Puerto Rican.  You're the Polish guy!!  

You're really reaching on this one.

5 hours ago, The Senator said:

So $50K a “massive” donation?  I think not.

$50k / $53m in career earning = 1/10 of 1%.   Nice donation and kudos to him, but yes, not close to "massive".   I was expecting 10x that amount from the thread title.

34 minutes ago, MakeBuffaloGreatAgain said:

I have a sneaking suspicion was that he was hoping tre would “feel it in the morning” not that he would never walk again. 

I could be waaaaay off base there but I think it was aggressively dumb more than anything deliberately career ending. That said, I doubt the kids at this hospital appreciate the gesture any less, and ultimately that’s what the thread might be best served to remember, instead of another tearing the dude down. 

Edited by NoSaint

2 hours ago, MakeBuffaloGreatAgain said:

Hmmm, I guess you probably think OJ is great dude also, except for his one slip up. 

If someone actually believed that, then that person - hypothetically of course - would be an absolute moron.

1 hour ago, Augie said:

PLEASE, let us not denigrate a significant donation to a great cause.  Is it what I would classify as “massive”? No, of course not. My wife lives in the world of large foundations and endowments. Nothing massive about this for someone of that wealth. But that takes ZERO away from what actually happened here. A guy who is leaving the only significant job he has ever  known has just committed a large sum of money to a very good cause. I don’t care if it was $50, I welcome his contribution. Don’t lessen it because he has more money than most of us. 

Who funded the Foundation? Was it your money? I’ll bet it was mostly money Gronk elected to funnel that way. Good for the hospital indeed, and I won’t discount his contribution in any way. 

Agreed.  Props to Gronk.  I really meant the criticism for the writer who called it a massive donation.  

• Like (+1) 1

2 hours ago, MakeBuffaloGreatAgain said:

My goodness this is overly dramatic

7 hours ago, Gugny said:

I mentioned it with a purpose; to point out that it was an isolated incident - which it was.

And I will maintain, forever, that the worst part of that hit was White's teammates standing by and doing nothing - and never doing anything - in an effort to avenge him.

Those standing around thought it was an “isolated incident” too.